Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two airlines -what happens if baggage doesnt make it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

I am travelling from Sao Paulo Brazil to London by British Airways and some ten hours later flying Emirates to Dubai. if my baggage for some reason is delayed or misplaced and doesnt arrive at London Heathrow what will happen to it. Will British Airways forward it to my destination in Dubai though i am not flying their airline to Dubai. I have no London address for it to be delivered. I would be most grateful if I could get some information as to what happens to delayed luggage when people fly two different airlines. Thank you.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by lovetotravel123
I am travelling from Sao Paulo Brazil to London by British Airways and some ten hours later flying Emirates to Dubai. if my baggage for some reason is delayed or misplaced and doesnt arrive at London Heathrow what will happen to it. Will British Airways forward it to my destination in Dubai though i am not flying their airline to Dubai. I have no London address for it to be delivered. I would be most grateful if I could get some information as to what happens to delayed luggage when people fly two different airlines. Thank you.
Yes, you can get lost/delayed bags to be sent to a foreign address. But some places would require you to collect it at the airport rather than have it delivered to your home - either to identify the luggage and sign for it, or to take it through customs. Just make sure you report it promptly to the baggage desk at LHR arrivals.

Oh, and make sure you write down exactly which dates you'll be there, because if it's a lost bag, they may take ages finding it
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the BA & EK flights on 1 ticket or 2 separate tickets?
theultimateflyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by lovetotravel123
If your baggage is through checked by BA GRU-LHR-DXB then BA will be responsible for reuniting you and your baggage in DXB if it doesn't arrive with you on the same flight.

However if you have two separate tickets then be warned that BA will normally only check your bags as far as LHR, and you will have to clear immigration, collect them at LHR T5, and then re-check them with EK at T3.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
We need more details. Is this one ticket or two? If it is on one ticket, then the final carrier on the ticket is responsible for reuniting you with you through-checked luggage, even if it never touched it. If you are on two tickets, you'll have to collect it at LHR and re-check it with EK, as BA does not interline on separate tickets.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
We need more details. Is this one ticket or two? If it is on one ticket, then the final carrier on the ticket is responsible for reuniting you with you through-checked luggage, even if it never touched it. If you are on two tickets, you'll have to collect it at LHR and re-check it with EK, as BA does not interline on separate tickets.
Thats not the question the OP asked. He wants to know if his bags are mishandled and do not arrive in LHR before he departs on his separate ticket to DXB with Emirates, what will happen.

Answer, make a PIR report to BA at LHR following arrival with no bags. Tell them where you will be and when, and they will forward your bags on for you. You may need to collect them at the airport.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:20 am
Suspended

OP does not say whether it’s on one or two tickets. This is relevant.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Thats not the question the OP asked. He wants to know if his bags are mishandled and do not arrive in LHR before he departs on his separate ticket to DXB with Emirates, what will happen.
The OP makes no reference to a separate ticket. And whether it is 1 ticket (however unlikely) or two is relevant to who will be responsible for doing it.

Originally Posted by heartybob
If your baggage is through checked by BA GRU-LHR-DXB then BA will be responsible for reuniting you and your baggage in DXB if it doesn't arrive with you on the same flight.
Unfortunately this is incorrect advice. The last airline is responsible for dealing with missing baggage. So if the baggage is interlined as you suggest then it will be EK that is responsible.
LondonElite, Mwenenzi and J.Z. like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
The OP makes no reference to a separate ticket. And whether it is 1 ticket (however unlikely) or two is relevant to who will be responsible for doing it.
Based on how the OP asked the question it seems pretty clear that they will be travelling on separate tickets as they expect to pick up the bag at LHR (hence the question - whether BA will forward the bag to Dubai if it does not arrive at LHR and can't be checked in to DXB with Emirates). BA will (or at least should) forward the bag to wherever the OP indicates in the PIR regardless whether it is one ticket or separate tickets.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:27 am
Suspended

Who knows. Maybe he thinks BA will Short check it to LHR.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Based on how the OP asked the question it seems pretty clear that they will be travelling on separate tickets as they expect to pick up the bag at LHR (hence the question - whether BA will forward the bag to Dubai if it does not arrive at LHR and can't be checked in to DXB with Emirates). BA will (or at least should) forward the bag to wherever the OP indicates in the PIR regardless whether it is one ticket or separate tickets.
When it comes to FT I never make any assumptions. That may be an interpretation but the OP makes no reference to same/separate tickets, nor picking up and checking a bag at Heathrow.

If it is one ticket it will of course be EK's issue.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If your bags are through checked then there is no need to collect them in LHR.
If your bags are through checked to DXB then its EKs responsibility to get the bags to you in Dubai, working with BA as appropriate.

If your bags are only checked through to LHR then, if they are delayed, it will be BAs responsibility to get the delayed bags to you in Dubai. No need for you to wait in or go back to London to get them. You will in a missing bags for and provide the Dubai address.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Best lesson I learned from having a checked-in bag go missing for 33 days on a BA BRU-LHR flight: take a photograph of each one of your checked-in bags, store them on your mobile phone, and have a photo of the missing bag ready to show the airline’s lost luggage desk.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Why worry about something that probably won't happen?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP needs to respond as to whether he is traveling on one or two e-tickets. He would not be the first person to be on a single ticket and presume that he collects his bags at an intermediate connection point where he changes carriers.

Best to get the exact facts to avoid disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.