Geneva BA Lounge access?

Reply

Old Apr 2, 18, 6:35 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Posts: 164
When we used the Lounge last month there was a sign on the entrance to the lounge saying entry was only permitted at T-3hrs.
Although we entered earlier when we trying to arrange to take an earlier flight, at were allowed to stay from T-4.5hrs.

As other have said its not the best lounge to stay in for any length of time. However, after a long day walking around the Motor Show next door it was just good to find a comfy seat.
PantsFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 18, 7:15 am
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,381
Originally Posted by aprilscot View Post
Thanks, for all the information.
Doesn't look like my options are very good at all. Much as I'd like to spend a few hours in the city, unless I can find somewhere to park my ski bag that's not going to happen.
Guess I'll just have to wait it out landside for a while.
Any decent hotel will look after your bag for a few hours. A few SFr may help in this respect.
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:10 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by PantsFlyer View Post
When we used the Lounge last month there was a sign on the entrance to the lounge saying entry was only permitted at T-3hrs.
It was still there last weekend when I walked past. It's not a great lounge and not a great airport. If you just want to sit down and you can't get in then there are plenty of seats on the same floor as the lounge. Pretty standard airport seats but they're fine.
ppp909 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:34 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MIA
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 180
I have spent A LOT of time passing through this lounge (sometimes weekly). It is not the best BA lounge in the network by any means, but it is still one of the better BA lounges catering to ET/CE travellers. There ARE comfy seats and sofas, and despite earlier comments to the contrary the lounge actually serves more substantial meals then most other BA club lounges on the continent. Breakfast consists of hot eggs, sausages, and potatoes (as well as cold meats, cheese, fruit, pastries, etc). For lunch and dinner they usually serve a hot rice or pasta dish, meat, and some sort of vegetarian option as well as cold sandwiches and side salads. The food isn't amazing, but is MUCH better then I have had at other BA lounges around the world.

Quite frankly, if people are advising you not to use this lounge because the toilets are "public" you might want to question their judgement. Yes, you need to leave the lounge to use the toilet, but only other lounge users (KLM, AF, etc) also use the same toilets because the lounges are at the end of a dead end passageway that the general public does not pass by. (and yes, the toilets are clean and no better/worse then anything you would find in an average airport lounge).

All of this being said, 6 hours in any airport lounge (even the CCR at LHR) is too much for me. If you have the time to kill you might want to follow the above advice and check out Geneva. It's a 10 minute express train ride to/from GVA and there is plenty to do/see at or near the main train station (and the Mont Blanc bridge/crossing with a spectacular view of the lake and Geneva and nearby France is less than a 3 minute walk from the station). As stated above, you can leave your bag in a locker at GVA train station without any problems.

The BA check-in staff are not the friendliest at GVA (they wear BA uniforms but work for DNATA); they do enforce the 3 hour check-in window (not because they are trying to be difficult but because they don't have the holding capacity to accept very early bags in advance of the many flights on BA they process per day). The lounge is another matter; yes, the notice on the door says 3 hours (but that's because some skiers travel by shared bus to the airport on the day of departure and try to spend the entire day at the airport). They also have a local rule denying GC holders a guest when the lounge is very busy. Nevertheless, if the lounge is not busy the day you are there then there is no reason they won't let you in before the 3 hour limit.....I have done it MANY times.
themax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 18, 4:36 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,309
Originally Posted by themax View Post
I have spent A LOT of time passing through this lounge (sometimes weekly). It is not the best BA lounge in the network by any means, but it is still one of the better BA lounges catering to ET/CE travellers. There ARE comfy seats and sofas, and despite earlier comments to the contrary the lounge actually serves more substantial meals then most other BA club lounges on the continent. Breakfast consists of hot eggs, sausages, and potatoes (as well as cold meats, cheese, fruit, pastries, etc). For lunch and dinner they usually serve a hot rice or pasta dish, meat, and some sort of vegetarian option as well as cold sandwiches and side salads. The food isn't amazing, but is MUCH better then I have had at other BA lounges around the world.

Quite frankly, if people are advising you not to use this lounge because the toilets are "public" you might want to question their judgement. Yes, you need to leave the lounge to use the toilet, but only other lounge users (KLM, AF, etc) also use the same toilets because the lounges are at the end of a dead end passageway that the general public does not pass by. (and yes, the toilets are clean and no better/worse then anything you would find in an average airport lounge).

All of this being said, 6 hours in any airport lounge (even the CCR at LHR) is too much for me. If you have the time to kill you might want to follow the above advice and check out Geneva. It's a 10 minute express train ride to/from GVA and there is plenty to do/see at or near the main train station (and the Mont Blanc bridge/crossing with a spectacular view of the lake and Geneva and nearby France is less than a 3 minute walk from the station). As stated above, you can leave your bag in a locker at GVA train station without any problems.

The BA check-in staff are not the friendliest at GVA (they wear BA uniforms but work for DNATA); they do enforce the 3 hour check-in window (not because they are trying to be difficult but because they don't have the holding capacity to accept very early bags in advance of the many flights on BA they process per day). The lounge is another matter; yes, the notice on the door says 3 hours (but that's because some skiers travel by shared bus to the airport on the day of departure and try to spend the entire day at the airport). They also have a local rule denying GC holders a guest when the lounge is very busy. Nevertheless, if the lounge is not busy the day you are there then there is no reason they won't let you in before the 3 hour limit.....I have done it MANY times.
i agree with you that the lounge is not that bad. On the airport and staff lounge attitude , however, your experience is different from mine. Now you say that you use the airport/ lounge frequently and I suspect that this may precisely be the reason. I find GVA one of the unfriendliest managed ba stations and I suspect that precisely, part of it is to be difficult (not in the sense of mean but in the sense of the attitude of the ba station managers). That includes the lounge and at least one of the regular lounge attendants would not allow you in if you are, to take an example mentioned above, on a Saturday in August. In fact Iíve had pretty much that experience and that was as GGL travelling On an F ticket (obviously CE from GVA). The lounge was mostly empty both at the time I asked and when I came back an hour later and all the way to my Departure. Maybe they are more flexible with you if you are a regular enough that they would at least subconsciously recognise you (I know I do get better treatment than most occasional visitors in the lounges at my main airport where most if not all staff recognise me by sight) but as someone who visits GVA about 3-5 times a year, ie enough to have had many experiences but not enough to be recognised, me experience of staff acting on behalf of ba at both check in and lounge has been generally execrable and by and large my worst in Europe.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 3:44 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post


i agree with you that the lounge is not that bad. On the airport and staff lounge attitude , however, your experience is different from mine. Now you say that you use the airport/ lounge frequently and I suspect that this may precisely be the reason. I find GVA one of the unfriendliest managed ba stations and I suspect that precisely, part of it is to be difficult (not in the sense of mean but in the sense of the attitude of the ba station managers). That includes the lounge and at least one of the regular lounge attendants would not allow you in if you are, to take an example mentioned above, on a Saturday in August. In fact Iíve had pretty much that experience and that was as GGL travelling On an F ticket (obviously CE from GVA). The lounge was mostly empty both at the time I asked and when I came back an hour later and all the way to my Departure. Maybe they are more flexible with you if you are a regular enough that they would at least subconsciously recognise you (I know I do get better treatment than most occasional visitors in the lounges at my main airport where most if not all staff recognise me by sight) but as someone who visits GVA about 3-5 times a year, ie enough to have had many experiences but not enough to be recognised, me experience of staff acting on behalf of ba at both check in and lounge has been generally execrable and by and large my worst in Europe.
If you are a good-looking young woman, however, I have seen some of the staff suddenly become very attentive. So... YMMV? I agree with your perception for the most part, but I have really been spoiled by some great lounges (Oh Helsinki, I already miss you) so I consider GVA to be a nice place to sit and get coffee and a snack, but not so much spend 6 hours and eat a meal there.
thebigben is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 3:58 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, CPH, ARN or HEL
Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,252
What would endear me to the GVA lounge more than anything would be more usable plug sockets. I know that being British, we can't talk too much about odd plug types, I do have a swiss plug adaptor but never remember to take it as the hotels tend to have more standard European sockets or even sometimes UK ones.

If GVA could increase the number of available sockets - either European or British, especially including USB ports, I would feel much better disposed to the lounge overall. I also have to say that the lounge guardians can be somewhat abrupt, but the staff serving and clearing in the lounge have always been 100% polite and friendly in my experience.
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 4:12 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
What would endear me to the GVA lounge more than anything would be more usable plug sockets. I know that being British, we can't talk too much about odd plug types, I do have a swiss plug adaptor but never remember to take it as the hotels tend to have more standard European sockets or even sometimes UK ones.

If GVA could increase the number of available sockets - either European or British, especially including USB ports, I would feel much better disposed to the lounge overall. I also have to say that the lounge guardians can be somewhat abrupt, but the staff serving and clearing in the lounge have always been 100% polite and friendly in my experience.
I was surprised to sit at the table with holes for cables in it but no power plugs underneath.

A useful travel tip here would be to have a European 2-prong plug for most of your electronics, if available. Apple gear is nice in that you can plug different power plugs to their chargers, so I just pick up my UK laptop charger, and EU USB charger, and can swap the plugs between both as I change countries or need to charge different things.

EDIT: I should mention that the 2-prong EU plug works in Switzerland, which is why I did mention it.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Last edited by thebigben; Apr 5, 18 at 7:23 am
thebigben is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:26 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by themax View Post
....despite earlier comments to the contrary the lounge actually serves more substantial meals then most other BA club lounges on the continent. Breakfast consists of hot eggs, sausages, and potatoes (as well as cold meats, cheese, fruit, pastries, etc). For lunch and dinner they usually serve a hot rice or pasta dish, meat, and some sort of vegetarian option as well as cold sandwiches and side salads. The food isn't amazing, but is MUCH better then I have had at other BA lounges around the world.
I think I must have just been unlucky. Every time I have been to this lounge there has been nowhere to sit down and nothing to eat other than some olives and other nibbles. However, my wife, who works in Switzerland a lot, says Zurich is far worse and the GVA lounge is fine when it's not busy, which apparently does occasionally happen.

As for the toilets, users of other lounges there, including the Swiss lounge, have to use those same facilities. They're perfectly fine, if a little inconvenient.

I personally wouldn't go there expecting to be fed, but it's fine if you just want to sit down (assuming you can) and have a drink.
ppp909 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:42 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GVA
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Posts: 1,773
I'm fairly frequent user of the lounge, as GVA is my home base. It's OK but I really wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of hours there. It can get awfully crowded, particularly during the ski season when there are several flights departing at much the same time, but I'm often there when it's very pleasantly calm. The food is OK but I would see it as topping-up/snacking, rather than making a main meal of it.
The seats are comfy enough and the wifi works well.
catandmouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:46 am
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,309
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
If you are a good-looking young woman
Well, as it happens I have been travelling with an extremely good looking young woman as in my partner on several of those GVA trips, but as she was clearly with me, that probably killed her chances for lounge attention! And yes, like you I agree it is nice, not great by any standards.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:19 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, CPH, ARN or HEL
Programs: Mucci Silver, BA GFL / GGL, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
<snip>

A useful travel tip here would be to have a European 2-prong plug for most of your electronics, if available. Apple gear is nice in that you can plug different power plugs to their chargers, so I just pick up my UK laptop charger, and EU USB charger, and can swap the plugs between both as I change countries or need to charge different things.
I've just taken delivery last week from Amazon of my European 2-pin plug for my Macbook. I makes life so much easier and I can't believe I didn't do it before I am not investing in a Swiss version though
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:22 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
I've just taken delivery last week from Amazon of my European 2-pin plug for my Macbook. I makes life so much easier and I can't believe I didn't do it before I am not investing in a Swiss version though
I'm pretty sure you know this but just for the sake of other readers I should specify that 2-prong EU plugs work in Switzerland, which is why I did give that tip.
thebigben is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:27 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 606
Originally Posted by ppp909 View Post
However, my wife, who works in Switzerland a lot, says Zurich is far worse and the GVA lounge is fine when it's not busy, which apparently does occasionally happen.
I prefer (only ever so slightly) the food/drinks in the ZRH lounge, but the ZRH lounge is also available with PP, so that makes it usually a lot more crowded than the GVA lounge. I find that if you can, going into other PP lounges in ZRH is probably best.
thebigben is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread