Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Point Run in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
TPE-KUL-SGN is 5400 return. You can have a stopover in KUL for the same price, in which you could do a few KUL-PEN-KUL as needed before proceeding to SGN.
Thanks - I've barely just scraped enough for silver, so can't see me doing 5 return KUL-PEN flights to get to gold.

I can find this fare on Google flights, but when I go to book on Malaysia, it can't find the fare.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
One longer option might be TPE-KUL-KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal) - that's 4x140 TP legs for about 10k HKD.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I'm afraid the days of £1.00/TP on the KUL-PEN route are long gone

Great while it lasted though !
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I'm afraid the days of £1.00/TP on the KUL-PEN route are long gone

Great while it lasted though !
I assume that's just an 80 Tier point return for approx. £200?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
With a few OW carriers in the region eg CX/JL/MH/RJ, there should be some that suit one’s TP needs. KUL-TPE/KTM/PVG or HKG-CGK/DPS/CTS are some 140 TP routes.
However the 4 legs of BA is the difficult part IMHO.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
Thanks - I've barely just scraped enough for silver, so can't see me doing 5 return KUL-PEN flights to get to gold.

I can find this fare on Google flights, but when I go to book on Malaysia, it can't find the fare.

Doing the internal short haul hops in Malaysia is painful (i.e. boring and nothing much to do). I did 7 of these in a day before and won't do it again. Much easier to do a same day LH return (e.g. kUL- tpe and turn around).

Alternatively for everyone else try this - i feel it is much more sane flying...

CMB - xHKG - CGK/SUB
or CMB - xHKG - DPS

Can be has for c.US$1,000 to 1,200 so ~US$1.8 / TP

Last edited by ermen; Jan 17, 2019 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SLGO
With a few OW carriers in the region eg CX/JL/MH/RJ, there should be some that suit one’s TP needs. KUL-TPE/KTM/PVG or HKG-CGK/DPS/CTS are some 140 TP routes.
However the 4 legs of BA is the difficult part IMHO.

Malaysia fares starting from Taipei and routing via KUL are the cheapest way to get tier points. i found decent fares on Ski Lankan too. Cathay flights in business are really really expensive compared to Club Europe etc.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by pablol
I assume that's just an 80 Tier point return for approx. £200?
It's a couple of years ago now, but on KUL/PEN it was about MYR 240 each way, at the time the exchange rate was roughly 5.25 / £ so the effective cost was c. £1.10/TP

I've not been back to Penang since Nov 2016, so looking forward to my upcoming Satay fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.