Tier Point Run in Asia

Reply

Old Jan 17, 19, 7:42 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by zeltergiset View Post
TPE-KUL-SGN is 5400 return. You can have a stopover in KUL for the same price, in which you could do a few KUL-PEN-KUL as needed before proceeding to SGN.
Thanks - I've barely just scraped enough for silver, so can't see me doing 5 return KUL-PEN flights to get to gold.

I can find this fare on Google flights, but when I go to book on Malaysia, it can't find the fare.
anonymous_third_party is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:56 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Posts: 639
One longer option might be TPE-KUL-KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal) - that's 4x140 TP legs for about 10k HKD.
zeltergiset is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:41 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Happily back in Lancashire :D
Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 537
I'm afraid the days of £1.00/TP on the KUL-PEN route are long gone

Great while it lasted though !
OverTheHorizon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:12 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: BA GGL, CR
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon View Post
I'm afraid the days of £1.00/TP on the KUL-PEN route are long gone

Great while it lasted though !
I assume that's just an 80 Tier point return for approx. £200?
pablol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 6:55 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat
Posts: 341
With a few OW carriers in the region eg CX/JL/MH/RJ, there should be some that suit one’s TP needs. KUL-TPE/KTM/PVG or HKG-CGK/DPS/CTS are some 140 TP routes.
However the 4 legs of BA is the difficult part IMHO.
SLGO is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:31 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: BA(GGL/CCR) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,530
Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party View Post
Thanks - I've barely just scraped enough for silver, so can't see me doing 5 return KUL-PEN flights to get to gold.

I can find this fare on Google flights, but when I go to book on Malaysia, it can't find the fare.

Doing the internal short haul hops in Malaysia is painful (i.e. boring and nothing much to do). I did 7 of these in a day before and won't do it again. Much easier to do a same day LH return (e.g. kUL- tpe and turn around).

Alternatively for everyone else try this - i feel it is much more sane flying...

CMB - xHKG - CGK/SUB
or CMB - xHKG - DPS

Can be has for c.US$1,000 to 1,200 so ~US$1.8 / TP

Last edited by ermen; Jan 17, 19 at 7:41 pm
ermen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:43 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by SLGO View Post
With a few OW carriers in the region eg CX/JL/MH/RJ, there should be some that suit one’s TP needs. KUL-TPE/KTM/PVG or HKG-CGK/DPS/CTS are some 140 TP routes.
However the 4 legs of BA is the difficult part IMHO.

Malaysia fares starting from Taipei and routing via KUL are the cheapest way to get tier points. i found decent fares on Ski Lankan too. Cathay flights in business are really really expensive compared to Club Europe etc.
anonymous_third_party is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:39 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Happily back in Lancashire :D
Programs: BA GGL, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 537
Originally Posted by pablol View Post
I assume that's just an 80 Tier point return for approx. £200?
It's a couple of years ago now, but on KUL/PEN it was about MYR 240 each way, at the time the exchange rate was roughly 5.25 / £ so the effective cost was c. £1.10/TP

I've not been back to Penang since Nov 2016, so looking forward to my upcoming Satay fare
OverTheHorizon is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread