Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it me or is T5 knackered? And what can BA and BAA do about it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it me or is T5 knackered? And what can BA and BAA do about it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Egoldstein
The toilets need to be overhauled. They clearly hadn't planned on so many people using them, and there are constant queues and toilets out of order for maintenance and cleaning.
The space usage seems very poor. Something a bit smaller to allow an extra unit per run would seem sensible, or simple urinal area on the male side.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
LAX isn't as bad now that you can at least walk airside between the terminals OW carriers use.
Unless you are at the Eagle's Nest
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by KARFA

in addition, for landside there is tube, HEX, and TfL buses. All are free.

for JFK I don’t think there are any airside connection options.
Tube free? Is that a new thing?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Grace B
Tube free? Is that a new thing?
Hi,

I think it has been going for some time ( I beleive it is free wth an oyster card or a contactless card)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I think it has been going for some time ( I beleive it is free wth an oyster card or a contactless card)

Regards

TBS
Thanks, I must be behind the times. In future, I won't avoid it like the plague, then.

In recent times, I've just taken the HEX or a bus. Makes sense though.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:18 am

Before my Saturday flight back from Taipei, we transited in Hog Kong. Had a shower in the new "The Deck" Cathay lounge. Amazing. 14 hours later and we're showering in T5 arrivals lounge. The contrast is really huge. Even small things like the BA staff having to check our boarding passes (we're already in the lounge!) in order to have a shower and having to ask for a toothbrush.

On the flip side, about 6 months ago I checked out how many flights would be needed on Cathay to reach their equivalent of BA Silver status (lounge access when travelling in economy) and it requires roughly double the amount of flights. Flights which, on Cathay long haul to Asia compared to BA, are more expensive to start with.

So ... I get what I pay for! It's a nice bonus that I can use the Cathay lounges in Hong Kong.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
It's a nice bonus that I can use the Cathay lounges in Hong Kong.
Do it while you can, I think Mr Cruz is working on that...
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Heathrow has the smelliest toilets I have ever encountered in any European or North American airport. They have an aroma all of their own be they in domestic arrivals or departures or airside. This disgustingness extends to the BA lounge toilets with the vicious flush system.
its all down to cleaning and no doubt cost savings and, I suspect given the stains on the floor around urinals, the inability of the English to point and shoot straight. They were like this in T1 and T4 and nothing changed with the move.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I do find parts of Heathrow somewhat tatty, which is odd given that LHR is one of the most expensive airports to use.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dylanks
Pretty much spot on, it stands for Heathrow Airports Limited, which was formerly known as BAA (British Airport Authority?) but which thankfully changed its name to avoid confusion with BA.
Nonsense. BAA and BA existed for years with little or no confusion. In fact BAA (British Airports Authority) was created a decade before BA - 1965 v 1974

The company name changed because following the (forced) sale of Stansted and Gatwick and the smaller airports in its portfolio the only airport it owned was LHR.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I find T5 in reasonable shape actually !
Sure it’s not as ‘new’ as when I first used it, but compared to LHR’s main issues ( no 3rd runway, billionaire parking prices, and extorting you to pay to pick up people ), I find this one very manageable !N.B. If you want to avoid the extortion of paying to pick someone up from terminal 5, tell them to walk to the Sofitel and pick them up from the front of the reception, you have 10 minutes free ‘pick-up’ in the hotel parking !And if you want to actually meet the person, sofitels parking lot is about 30-50% cheaper than Terminal 5 short stay
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by simons1
Strange OP which starts by discussing the condition of the fittings in GF, reaches the conclusion that the entire terminal is knackered, and ends by reinventing BAA which disappeared more than 5 years ago.

Very confusing.
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Is it me ?
Paging the OP .....
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Unless you are at the Eagle's Nest
Indeed, though in my mind that's more of a remote stand than a proper terminal, given that you have to take a bus to leave.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Nonsense. BAA and BA existed for years with little or no confusion. In fact BAA (British Airports Authority) was created a decade before BA - 1965 v 1974

The company name changed because following the (forced) sale of Stansted and Gatwick and the smaller airports in its portfolio the only airport it owned was LHR.
Apologies for my lack of clarity, what I meant was I was thankful that the name change had resulted in less confusion around here with questions that assumed BA also ran the airport due to the similar acronyms, and did not mean that the name changed just to avoid such confusion! I'm aware of the actual reason for the sale, though thanks for adding the details for those that are not.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
We do need to also remember that BA are merely tenants within T5 and am sure much of the infrastructure and services supplied are out of their control such as the plumbing. Whilst BA may have exclusivity of the terminal, it is HAL who set the rates, which I am sure are not cheap (this is probably why they still don’t have a lounge in T5C) considering how much it is for a traveller alone to go through. Now suppose BA were to expand the current lounges or add additional ones due to high demand and couple this with lounge refurbishment the cost would know doubt go straight to the passenger on top of the costs for their on board offering, who many of you would pay more than what you already do?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
Now suppose BA were to expand the current lounges or add additional ones due to high demand and couple this with lounge refurbishment the cost would know doubt go straight to the passenger on top of the costs for their on board offering, who many of you would pay more than what you already do?
surely if you are expanding lounges it is because you have more passengers eligible to use them - and therefore more passengers booking with you anyway? It would seem BA have actually done the opposite of what you have suggested, i.e. not used increased revenue from all the extra passengers to expand lounges. The money is already there to invest if they choose to do so.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.