What's No Bedding in F Worth?

Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
good lord, 5000 for crap bedding in F on such a long journey?

for comparison i just flew LHR-DXB in club world, am GGL/paid ticket blah blah blah, and after the F/A tried to reset the tv three times the CSD came by and proactively offered be 9000 avios which showed the next day. i didnt know what it should be worth but was like hey thats an avios redemption to spain one day.

Last edited by VSLover; Apr 5, 2018 at 6:13 am Reason: clarity
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
This kind of margin is very normal across all airlines and hotel chains.
5k is not to be sniffed at. That could buy OP a nice one way to Amsterdam, and best of all no bedding needed on that trip.
Please reassure me that youre not personally responsible for setting official levels of compensation / goodwill gesture within BA s CR team !? (although I wont be overly-surprised if you tell me you really are ..... )
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A friend told me he received 20,000 Avios for a missing blanket in CW (full flight, JNB-LHR, no spare blankets, he got an ET one instead). That was in 2008 though...
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You suggest claims for missing bedding are worth 100s, how have you arrived at that figure? If the OP pursues a claim under the CRA, s/he will have to establish the value of her claim. S/he cannot simply pull a figure out of thin air, so any guidance you can offer in arriving at your figure may be helpful.
I'll have a stab at that. Looking 6 months or so ahead a BA SYD-SIN-LHR return prices at ~2k on a B WT fare or ~5k on an A First fare. So that's a return fare difference of ~3k, or 1500 one-way. Since the SIN-LHR segment is ~2/3 of that call it 1000 of the overall fare difference. If you value the extra space, improved food & beverage, and enhanced sleeping experience equally then each has a value of 350 or so. Half of the sleeping value was lost due to the unavailability of correct bedding, so ~175 / 20k Avios would be my claim.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
If you value the extra space, improved food & beverage, and enhanced sleeping experience equally
On an overnight from SIN, I would not place these attributes equally - the enhanced sleeping experience is more like 66% of why you opted for F.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
On an overnight from SIN, I would not place these attributes equally - the enhanced sleeping experience is more like 66% of why you opted for F.
In the context of the justification that Tobias-UK was inviting I wouldn't argue against that, but BA might. In this case I assume they'd say the sleeping part was 10% of the value, to help reduce any consequent compensation .
FeedbirdNiner likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Apr 6, 2018 at 2:57 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I'll have a stab at that. Looking 6 months or so ahead a BA SYD-SIN-LHR return prices at ~2k on a B WT fare or ~5k on an A First fare. So that's a return fare difference of ~3k, or 1500 one-way. Since the SIN-LHR segment is ~2/3 of that call it 1000 of the overall fare difference. If you value the extra space, improved food & beverage, and enhanced sleeping experience equally then each has a value of 350 or so. Half of the sleeping value was lost due to the unavailability of correct bedding, so ~175 / 20k Avios would be my claim.

EsherFlyer - thank you for providing the guidance that our friendly Forum Ambassador was seeking. Taken together with the subsequent input from FeedbirdNiner it would appear that compensation in the order of 100s (my post # 38 refers) isn’t too far off the mark, possibly even more so for anyone who has purchased a one-way SIN LHR BA ticket at circa 5,000+.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

EsherFlyer - thank you for providing the guidance that our friendly Forum Ambassador was seeking. Taken together with the subsequent input from FeedbirdNiner it would appear that compensation in the order of 100s (my post # 38 refers) isnt too far off the mark, possibly even more so for anyone who has purchased a one-way SIN LHR BA ticket at circa 5,000+.
Yes, I think its an interesting conundrum to work out the meaning of value or cost based compensation. Is better sleep of more value just because you paid more for it (on a one way fare)? Or is a fixed amount reasonable? If we accept that the prices paid never reflect inherent value it's all a bit airy fairy...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The ability to have good sleeping rest is the main difference between WT+ and CW for most people, especially on a long overnight route. F is just gilding the experience, so if you can't sleep well in F then you're basically down to WT+ with a nice bottle of wine - and that's quite a cost difference!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Worth winding back a little here, by way of reminder of the precise circumstances surrounding the OPs grievance :

I returned to find on the bed what looked like a blue polyester jacket with a zipper on one side (it turned out to be a crew-blanket), a thin blanket from Club that may have been used, and an old creased pillow..

OP, following an exchange of correspondence, was subsequently offered an adjustment of 5,000 Avios - an outcome which he/she (understandably) described as laughable.

Somewhat in contrast, one poster (although Im not sure that he/she was being entirely serious) has expressed the view that 5,000 Avios is not to be sniffed at, adding that it would be enough to buy OP a nice one-way to Amsterdam.

I do wonder just how many passengers - having shelled out serious money on a F class ticket for just about the longest journey on BAs entire network - would be happy with compensation in the shape of what effectively translates into a discounted one-way ticket for one of the airlines very shortest sectors - and in economy class to boot. I say discounted because, lets not forget, there would be still taxes/surcharges of 17.50 to pay, so ..... no free lunch.

5,000 Avios is the sort of figure that many folk collect routinely with their monthly shopping, without even having spent anything at all with BA. The chasm between BAs churlish offer and the OPs expectations is, I suspect, of Grand Canyon proportions.

I feel that it is high time BA - and indeed many other carriers guilty of such unsatisfactory reaction to similar inflight service failures - began to look more responsibly, and with a greater sense of morality, at the frequent discrepancy between what they promise ; what their premium cabin passengers rightly expect, in return for what they have paid ; and just what sort of redress is provided to those passengers when things go wrong.

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by subject2load
I feel that it is high time BA - and indeed many other carriers guilty of such unsatisfactory reaction to similar inflight service failures - began to look more responsibly, and with a greater sense of morality, at the frequent discrepancy between what they promise ; what their premium cabin passengers rightly expect, in return for what they have paid ; and just what sort of redress is provided to those passengers when things go wrong.
Couldnt have said it better myself! ^
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by subject2load

These are all good points that I agree with. The issue is the danger of being overrun by a compensation culture and the fact that businesses will never pay more than they have to, and in so doing defeating any penchant for morality. Companies only care about morality when it is linked to PR, and in particular some measurable benefit. Only an authority overseeing this could result in any effective change. As an example, the EU compensation bounties that are provided would never be handed out without something such being in place. Instead people have to scrape away at the margins to prove the value of their claims and find someone who will begrudgingly listen.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:13 pm

The moral high ground is a lonely place.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
The moral high ground is a lonely place.
I assume you would be happy to pocket the 5k?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I assume you would be happy to pocket the 5k?
I think 5K is a bit light for this. But I also think that there are many elements that make the F experience, not least of which is the primary objective, to transport you from A to B. Also, there is the dining, lounges, Avios bonus, service, I could go on and on. So 5K is too light, but isn't way out imo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.