Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is up with these insane CW fares? F only $100/£70 more on SFO/LAX-LHR routes.

What is up with these insane CW fares? F only $100/£70 more on SFO/LAX-LHR routes.

Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle

Looking into flying either SFO or LAX-LHR in late May and returning early June. CW in every instance is $8746! F is $8846. I'm flexible with dates but it shows up these same absurd fares no matter which date in this time period I punch in. If this is how it is, I'm taking the "bargain" in First.

How is BA justifying this fare scheme?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:34 pm

Are the J fares flexible by any chance?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Are those prices per person? Inc a Saturday night? Flex rather than lowest? Certainly wouldn’t pay those prices
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
According to the "Charges for changes and cancellations" there's a $450 cancellation fee for the CW fares.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Per person. Including Saturday night(s). These aren't Flex. They're "Lowest." Seriously. Punch in some sample late May departures/Mid June returns.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Per person. Including Saturday night(s). These aren't Flex. They're "Lowest." Seriously. Punch in some sample late May departures/Mid June returns.
It's been that way for a month or two. SEA is similar, although if I get the dates right I can fly PDX-SEA-LHR return for ~2900, while SEA-LHR return is 6700-9000. In both cases they are 14 day trips, so a Saturday is included.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:03 pm

Could be Apple's WWDC conference in San Jose? This year it's June 4-8.
rockflyertalk and klausa like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
How is BA justifying this fare scheme?
By the fact that people will pay that much money to travel.

The main problem seems to be that you've missed the 60d AP restriction for many cheaper fares, plus you're looking at travel dates that don't qualify for the cheaper fares that do exist for purchase inside 60d. I see the CW fares you're seeing for (for example) outbound 24 May inbound 14 June, but if you fly outbound 26 May and inbound 20 June then your fare can be approximately halved.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
About 3 weeks or so ago BA removed en masse a whole load of I fares for North America, leaving many routes with just an R fare as the lowest published for big chunks of the year. I've never seen this before, there has always been an I fare published even if availability is limited. I suspect, and certainly hope, that the usual easter period sale might put them back again and we will see some sensible prices returning. I need a quick weekend trip to Texas in mid June that currently prices are just ridiculous for, even though its more than 60 days out and includes a Saturday night.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:44 am

I wonder are some of those fares a precursor to an upcoming sale. Some of the J fares ex DUB are nearly double what theyíd traditionally be
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Airprox
About 3 weeks or so ago BA removed en masse a whole load of I fares for North America, leaving many routes with just an R fare as the lowest published for big chunks of the year.
However, the prices that the OP is seeing are I class fares.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The three most important words in airline pricing: "demand to come".

If BA expect to sell every seat in CW + F for at least $8,746 they will hold them back, even if no bookings have been received yet.

In this case I suspect that BA are expecting heavy demand in CW but not F, and will overbook and upgrade. I believe this because if they only expected to sell CW capacity they might let F go now for a lower price. And if they were expecting heavy demand in F too then F would probably be coming in at the USD 12k + level.

Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
If going to SFO, consider braving LGW and their 777s for the OAK route.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
By the fact that people will pay that much money to travel.
Well, not quite. In reality BA's revenue optimiser opens or closes a fare bucket on the basis of expected revenue. I would be surprised if they were really expecting passengers to pay USD 8k plus, but they might be expecting USD 5k on average, with many corporates paying fares with a USD 3,500 front end discount and one or two people actually paying the published fare.

Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
In this case I suspect that BA are expecting heavy demand in CW but not F,
In this case, how do you explain that the same flights in Globaliser's post but with a connection to BUD will let the price drop to $2800?
SFO-BUD and SFo_LHR are not the same markets but if they are afraid of a heavy demand in CW, every journey involving these flights should be expensive.

It is only a revenue management optimization and not a supposed heavy demand where they hope to sell F tickets...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.