Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I wish BA.com would add the option to pay in the currency I want

Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I cannot be the only one here that semi-regularly books one-ways that end up being priced on BA.com in USD/CAD/EUR/CHF/HKD and so on, then they have a stupid tool that tells you what that price is in the currency you want to pay in but doesn't actually let you pay in that currency? I don't count myself as someone with great knowledge when it comes with processing payments but how hard can it be to offer a way to pay in GBP as well as the currency of where the flights are starting.

(Yes I have a 0% FX credit card but I couldn't find it today so I phoned up)
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
In some countries the law dictates in which currency prices must be advertised and payments taken. And it makes it easier for an airline to take payment in the local currency (or in whatever currency the fares are set for that market) for accounting purposes and for the purposes of calculating change fees, fare differences, refunds etc. If BA were to introduce such a service it would have to be a third party one (for a fee, I would imagine), but banks already provide that service anyway. Even though I myself once or twice needed to pay in a different currency than ba.com wanted me to, I think the demand for such an option is not that high.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
I don't count myself as someone with great knowledge when it comes with processing payments but how hard can it be to offer a way to pay in GBP as well as the currency of where the flights are starting.
The currency converters offered by many e-shops aren't exactly great. Unless you have prohibitively high FX fees on your card (in which case changing the card may be the best option), it generally makes little sense to use them.
markle likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Andriyko
In some countries the law dictates in which currency prices must be advertised and payments taken. And it makes it easier for an airline to take payment in the local currency (or in whatever currency the fares are set for that market) for accounting purposes and for the purposes of calculating change fees, fare differences, refunds etc. If BA were to introduce such a service it would have to be a third party one (for a fee, I would imagine), but banks already provide that service anyway. Even though I myself once or twice needed to pay in a different currency than ba.com wanted me to, I think the demand for such an option is not that high.
But BA already offers this, just not on the web, you need to call. So I guess the logistics are not the issue, it's just that they don't feel it's worth to add the functionality online...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
You can pay in any currency over the phone, so I doubt it would take much effort to put it online, if anything it would save BA as so many people wouldn't need to phone up and waste call agents time.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I cannot be the only one here that semi-regularly books one-ways that end up being priced on BA.com in USD/CAD/EUR/CHF/HKD and so on, then they have a stupid tool that tells you what that price is in the currency you want to pay in but doesn't actually let you pay in that currency? I don't count myself as someone with great knowledge when it comes with processing payments but how hard can it be to offer a way to pay in GBP as well as the currency of where the flights are starting.

(Yes I have a 0% FX credit card but I couldn't find it today so I phoned up)
in theory this sounds great but won’t they give you a dodgy exchange rate in practice ?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

in theory this sounds great but won’t they give you a dodgy exchange rate in practice ?
I was under the impression BA and all airline members of IATA use the daily rate from IATA but I could be wrong. Whenever I booked a trip in GBP that was originally in another currency, the price has always been bang on the market rate.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LCY8737
But BA already offers this, just not on the web, you need to call. So I guess the logistics are not the issue, it's just that they don't feel it's worth to add the functionality online...
It is not really a "functionality" issue. If you phone, your ticket will be issued by the BA in the country in which you phone and will therefore use the local currency there, regardless of the origin of the ticket. So, if you phone BA in the UK to book a PEK-MAD ticket, it will be priced in GBP. If you phone BA in Hong Kong to do that, it will be priced in HKD, etc...It is not as if you can phone any BA office and pay in any currency. So there is no "functionality" to pay in a different currency by phone (for instance, you cannot call BA in France and ask to pay in Indian rupees). It is just that there is a different way of allocating the sale if you phone versus doing it online.

If you book online, the ticket will be issued by the BA in the country of origin and will use the local currency there. So, it is not just a functionality issue but it has accounting implications within BA as to where the sale is deemed to be made, etc...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
i prefer to pay in local currency. if you leave the exchange up to the merchant they'll usually give themself some extra wiggle room
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by NickB
..It is not as if you can phone any BA office and pay in any currency. So there is no "functionality" to pay in a different currency by phone (for instance, you cannot call BA in France and ask to pay in Indian rupees).
Yes you can, I've done it. I booked a one way from LIN-LHR and paid in CAD. BA are happy to price it in whatever currency you want if you phone in.
Calum likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:42 pm

Does phoning up to pay in GBP rather than in, say, euros work for ex-EU fares? Are you charged the phone supplement, or is it waived since you cannot book using the "wrong" currency using ba.com?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RGS5526
Does phoning up to pay in GBP rather than in, say, euros work for ex-EU fares? Are you charged the phone supplement, or is it waived since you cannot book using the "wrong" currency using ba.com?
Yes it works for ex-eu bookings, there is a booking fee of £15 I think but I just say to them that every time I try online it doesn't work, so they don't charge a fee. I know it's a lie but if they added the same functions to the website, I wouldn't need to call up, so the ball is in their court.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:31 pm

Yes it works for ex-eu bookings, there is a booking fee of £15 I think but I just say to them that every time I try online it doesn't work, so they don't charge a fee. I know it's a lie but if they added the same functions to the website, I wouldn't need to call up, so the ball is in their court.
You lie that you can't book at all? Or that you can't "select" the currency you want?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tickets booked ex EZE always have to be paid in US$ although I've never tried phoning to see if they'll take pesos.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737

I don't think it's the same. If I buy a ticket online from KBP it would be quoted in USD and issued by the Kiev office, but if I want to pay in GBP and call the UK the ticket would be issued by the UK office. Buying online always redirects to the website of the originating country. Calling a specific office would produce a quote in the currency of that country (I believe the UK office can switch between USD and GBP) regardless where the caller's starting point is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.