Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retain UK call centres in house

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had a feeling this would be the outcome, I am glad this has been settled this way. Perhaps surprisingly the two senior managers involved in this decision are not fans of outsourcing and could be argued they inherited the Capita initiative from predecessors. If they felt uncomfortable about making the decision before Christmas, I suspect they only got more uncomfortable at the perceived risks as time moved on. Look at all the shovel load of weather disruption and assorted IT meltdowns they have had to deal with over the last year or so, and the commitment of staff to come in when the weather in the north of England was considerably worse than the difficulties in London. I don't know what the Contact Centre staff were told, but I imagine there would have been talk about ensuring future efficiencies keep the Centres viable over the medium and longer term, I would guess there were some issues left on the table. Still, I imagine the Contact Centre staff essentially earned their own survival.

There is a role for all of us, as BA passengers: we often read good stories of the UK Contact Centres going above and beyond here: make sure the positive feedback is sent in when it happens, the anecdotes can make a difference individually and collectively.
www.ba.com/thankyou
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a role for all of us, as BA passengers: we often read good stories of the UK Contact Centres going above and beyond here: make sure the positive feedback is sent in when it happens, the anecdotes can make a difference individually and collectively.
www.ba.com/thankyou
Excellent suggestion c-w-s. I'd propose we make it a Flyertalk BA board initiative for 2018 to make sure we say thank you to staff who have done a good job. Let's be honest, it only takes a couple of minutes to fill out the form. I'm about to do two.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:39 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had a feeling this would be the outcome, I am glad this has been settled this way. Perhaps surprisingly the two senior managers involved in this decision are not fans of outsourcing and could be argued they inherited the Capita initiative from predecessors. If they felt uncomfortable about making the decision before Christmas, I suspect they only got more uncomfortable at the perceived risks as time moved on. Look at all the shovel load of weather disruption and assorted IT meltdowns they have had to deal with over the last year or so, and the commitment of staff to come in when the weather in the north of England was considerably worse than the difficulties in London. I don't know what the Contact Centre staff were told, but I imagine there would have been talk about ensuring future efficiencies keep the Centres viable over the medium and longer term, I would guess there were some issues left on the table. Still, I imagine the Contact Centre staff essentially earned their own survival.

www.ba.com/thankyou
I sent a Thank You to the lady who helped me book my flight earlier today...but she was in the Indian call centre!

M
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:43 am

BA to retain UK call centres in house

Staff at the Manchester and Newcastle call centres were today told that they will still continue working under BA rather than have Crapita take over the call centre operations. This is after almost a year and a half from when the review was announced in November 2016. It has come as a big relief for hundreds of staff who have been concerned about their jobs during this period.
KenUK, StingWest, PETER01 and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:45 am

Certainly was relief all round today!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I think it safe to say that all of us here are also both delighted and relieved with your news.
PETER01, orbitmic and strichener like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Fantastic news! Good luck to the wonderful staff who will be remaining there.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Yeah ������������
meant to be thumbs up but appear as ?

Last edited by deboyzoned; Mar 28, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Great news! I hope the uncertainty has not resulted in the loss of too many before today.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Great news. I was involved in helping Capita set up a call centre for a contract they had won and was shocked at how little knowledge or experience they were bringing to what would have been an important service to those using it.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I am genuinely pleased with this news on several fronts. Firstly, for the staff who for the first time in 18 months and 2 Christmas periods have more certainty about their futures. As has been stated already, I have never come across a bad egg when I have called and the over whelming majority have been excellent eggs.

More though, I am shocked that BA have chosen this route. Outsourcing stacks up financially, almost exclusively. Not having to worry about all the hassle that goes with actually having to employ someone and the costs associated with that means that it is almost always cheaper. Certainly Alex Cruz has made many decisions that have resulted in a decline in standards, customer experience or brand perception. All for the sake of a financial saving. At times he seemed uncaring of what the customer would think and had a belief that the customer would still need to fly and that loyalty was blind. Or so it seemed.

In this decision, I sense, hope and pray that we have seen a threshold crossed. After all, what would it matter to him if it was more difficult to do anything other than a straight forward return booking on the phone. Customers would either find another way to resolve their problem or just suck it up. Perhaps the best news of all this is that his leadership team have started to consider the customer perception of the change in addition to the financial case of an action.

Perhaps further decisions will be forthcoming that also consider customer perception of the brand in any decision and that in future, decisions will be balanced more favourably towards the customer. In an infinite universe, anything is possible,
subject2load likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
NPS is obviously more important than promises of savings by getting Crapita to do it.

I'm sure Crapita would have exhibited the only talent they have: reducing service quality faster than they reduce costs (if they do that at all).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Glory be!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I hear Geordie and I think, good, this won’t be a waste of time.

Sorry, just adding that’s not to say I’ve had bad experiences with others, just I find Newcastle reassuring, and those calls have worked well for me.
Brighterside likes this.

Last edited by dougzz; Mar 28, 2018 at 1:02 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:24 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Post-Carillion, you would need balls of steel to commit a critical part of your business to Capita right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.