Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

London City Airport - DLR Strike on Wed 28th and Thu 29th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

I did see a new thread just started on the UK and Ireland forum, maybe that one can moved/merged here as I don't think many here venture over there so I thought it was worth highlighting here on the BA Board given there are a fair few BA LCY flyers.

Industrial action on Docklands Light Railway – Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 March

Answer Id 6510 Updated 27/03/2018 04.08 PM (UK time)
SummaryWorkers on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) which links London City Airport to the remainder of the London rail network are threatening to hold industrial action this week which will severely affect transport options to/from London City.

The action will take place on Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 March.

More informationBus services and roads are also likely to be busier during the week as a result of the industrial action. For the very latest information about the threatened industrial action and what impact it may have on your journey, please visit www.tfl.gov.uk
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
How can the DLR be on strike when the trains are driverless?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by seattle29
They have staff on board very few trains to open/close doors.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:13 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It is the first step of Skynet rise.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:56 pm

I've seen it all now.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Where did the article state train drivers? Each train has a passenger service agent for safety and other duties.

To help people unfamiliar with the logistics of this there is the 474 bus that will go to Canning Town where you can pick up the Jubilee Line or the 473 bus to Stratford, I expect TFL will run additional buses from City Airport to Canning Town that will probably add 20-30 mins to the journey,

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Maintenance is done by humans. As is cleaning and security. And there are humans in the control room.

Not one train can leave the depot without the authorisation of a human.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Maintenance is done by humans. As is cleaning and security. And there are humans in the control room.

Not one train can leave the depot without the authorisation of a human.
I can do it if need be. I arrive about 2pm and Ive got a GCSE
Takiteasy and EuropeToAsia like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
Driverless trains aren't the solution to strikes as this proves - even without a driver, every single train on the DLR needs a safety critical member of staff on board to deal with emergencies and communicate with control. They also operate the doors.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tedcruz
They have staff on board very few trains to open/close doors.
In case this is a typo: The DLR has a member of staff on board every train to open/close the doors and to provide passenger service.

As it happens, I did a back-to-back from LCY on a previous strike day a couple of years ago. I took the special bus from Canning Town, but there was a considerable wait for one and a lot of pent-up demand by the time it arrived. It was a special charter, so clearly TfL were calling in more resources than the hardware in their own colours. I had been prepared to walk from Canning Town and was keeping an eye on the time to make sure that I had enough time to do that if no bus arrived.

When I returned to LCY, I joined the taxi queue instead of waiting for a bus. At one point, I thought that this might have been the wrong call as a bus turned up and rapidly filled with passengers when I was still only half-way along the taxi queue. However, that bus (a chartered bus) broke down, and sadly the occupants ended up going nowhere fast. Taxi drivers, of course, knew that there were unusually rich pickings at LCY that evening.

That was actually at the back end of a trip, and I think that circumstances might have justified abandoning the last sector. But part of me was curious to see what the arrangements were and how they worked, given that until then strikes on the DLR had been a very rare thing. If I had to do it again, I think I would just organise a car each way. Relying on public transport would have been too much stress for a "must do" trip.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Nandos Chillis
TfL are laying on extra resources tomorrow - in the City Airport and Canary Wharf areas as well as extra buses on a local route to connect Woolwich Arsenal with North Greenwich.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
My experience on strike days has always been you need to leave extra time whether or not you intend to travel by public transport.

If if you are travelling by public transport to LCY then connecting to/from Canning Town will probably be your best bet. Across the whole of the area the worst of the pressure on the bus network will be at normal communter times.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:26 am

This is unexpected. A limited DLR service is operating between Canning Town and LCY. I think it would be wise to plan on the assumption you'll need the replacement bus, and treat it as a bonus if a DLR service is operating.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: Some
I live on the DLR and this is a very rare occurrence at least - I think the DLR is normally highly dependable vs. the rest of the Tube network. Had to get a short Uber to Monument to be able to get to LHR this morning as I’m going the other direction!

Good luck to all going to LCY.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by PETER01
on the UK and Ireland forum
There is a UK and Ireland forum? Genuinely surprised

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.