Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attitudes towards ex-EU/"cheap" premium fare flyers

Attitudes towards ex-EU/"cheap" premium fare flyers

Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
On this board there will ALWAYS be those that are for and against this issue, but the only thing that really matters is what BA thinks: Their program, their rules.

The fact that you only need to take 4 sectors on BA each year as part of your requirement to achieve Gold (and it is technically impossible to achieve Gold with only 4 sectors even at maximum long-haul TPs in F) very plainly suggests BA doesn't really care that much HOW you earn your TP's (whether ex-EU or not) as long as at least 4 of your flights each year are on BA or IB.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
The bean-counters must have estimated by now what percentage of Ex-EU revenue represents lost Ł because the customer is paying far less than the LHR originating ticket or it is additional revenue from a customer who would otherwise not have travelled BA, at least not in a premium cabin. I'd love to know what the reckoning is.
There is a small smattering of excellent fares filed for short periods of time that generate a lot of excitement in frequent flier programmes. “I’m going to be Gold! I can drink as much bulk-bought champagne as I like! What a bargain!” Then there is a regular set of cheap but not amazing J fares out of places where oneworld is not a dominant carrier like AMS and BRU, and places where J travel is uncommon since the oil price decline like OSL and STO. Then mysteriously the best fares show up during the time when almost no business travel takes place (valid say 25 Dec – 02 Jan) but late enough in the year that anyone with a family will have made commitments already. By the way all of these deals are carefully capacity restricted, but you don’t mind that six hour connection if you can get the one J seat left under this deal. Over time you get used to travelling in J and now when you need to travel at short notice you find yourself looking at fares that would have seemed unconscionably expensive before you started this hobby but are really only Ł600 more than what you would pay normally ... Meanwhile the rest of your travels you think you are getting a stand out deal looking at that dummy next to you holding a full J ticket ... until you learn what kind of discount someone buying a hundred TATL J seats a day can negotiate.

The bean counters know exactly what they are doing.

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think the group of people doing ex-EU premium trips to chase Gold is few in number, and probably not worth BA fretting over. Some people also get their knickers in a twist because others have earned their highly-coveted status using 'other people's money' (ie their company pays for their travel.) So what? I have bigger things to worry about.
Yes we tend to take it all far too seriously on here.

People I know in real life who either fly regularly or travel by air once a year on holiday tend to give me a strange look when I ask them how their flight experience was. Most are really only interested in arriving at their destination on time along with their baggage.
PUCCI GALORE and Crampedin13A like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Don‘t forget that at least some of us probably earned their status not from exEU or indeed exUK but from exLHR Tallinn runs..!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that in the old days when you could be Gold for a fraction of the tier points that you needed if you were based in the UK, then I think that there was some resentment. Quite justifiably as well, I think. That anomaly has now gone.

Other than that, you do not make the rules, but you play by them so good luck to you.

However looking to the future, how leaving the EU might impact on cross-border ticketing is unclear, so we will have to see.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Don‘t forget that at least some of us probably earned their status not from exEU or indeed exUK but from exLHR Tallinn runs..!
And those Ł1K ex-MAN AA fares to MSP, SAT and I think LIT last year, or both.

I think @Calchas has rather nailed it, certainly describes my mindset arriving at J fares. No idea about the bulk discounts, and I imagine that’s the sort of commercially sensitive information we won’t see in the public domain short of BA being hacked.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:28 am

I think that in the old days when you could be Gold for a fraction of the tier points that you needed if you were based in the UK, then I think that there was some resentment. Quite justifiably as well, I think. That anomaly has now gone.

Other than that, you do not make the rules, but you play by them so good luck to you. What bores me stiff, are all the people who use the system and disparage the airline that makes the system possible. Still, as for what there might or might not think about status attainment, my attitude is that , when you pay for my tickets then your opinion matters. Until such times, then I care less wat anyone thinks.

However looking to the future, how leaving the EU might impact on cross-border ticketing is unclear, so we will have to see.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:30 am

Who cares what anyone else thinks?
Worcester, Lucanesque and WorldLux like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
If anyone is concerned about gold gained by flying BA ex EU I wonder what they feel about gaining gold and not actually ever getting on a BA plane! You can not only fly ex EU but using codeshares flight numbers can get you the 4 metal requirement.

what does BA think? ....... we may be about to find out when the BAEC changes are confirmed when BA get their IT fixed.

till then fill your boots
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by binman
what does BA think? ....... we may be about to find out when the BAEC changes are confirmed when BA get their IT fixed.
What changes? Didn't know the IT was broke?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:19 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
I would have much less of an attitude with cheap ex-EU passengers if they stopped trotting out those tired excuses of the €1200 price BA sold them their ticket for as justification for why CW is so sub-par and below market standards for a business class product and service.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ukgooner
I dont think this has ever been the case: people always claimed the far east carriers were much better.

All thats really happened is QR have come on the scene offering TP rich routings and thrown money at the product, while joining One World.
One of the most entertaining things about the BA board is to remember how long QR has been around. Yet it was barely recognised on here until there was a prospect of it joining oneworld, and then all of a sudden it seemed like everyone and his dog could never contemplate flying anyone else.

Which is not to say that the QR product is not a pleaser. But it just goes to show how product quality is very very far from being the only show in town so far as attracting business is concerned.
Originally Posted by dougzz
No idea about the bulk discounts, and I imagine that’s the sort of commercially sensitive information we won’t see in the public domain short of BA being hacked.
From occasional dribbles and hints, think 75% or thereabouts for a good customer.

As in 75% off.
Crampedin13A, HIDDY and ukgooner like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
One of the most entertaining things about the BA board is to remember how long QR has been around. Yet it was barely recognised on here until there was a prospect of it joining oneworld, and then all of a sudden it seemed like everyone and his dog could never contemplate flying anyone else.

Which is not to say that the QR product is not a pleaser. But it just goes to show how product quality is very very far from being the only show in town so far as attracting business is concerned.From occasional dribbles and hints, think 75% or thereabouts for a good customer.
Entertaining, yes, but is it that surprising. We know that many on here fly BA/OneWorld because (among other things) of Avios/TP/status addiction.

Then along comes QR, offering a superior proposition, but in a way that still enables travellers to collect TPs and Avios and maintain status. And now, even better, BA and QR enter into a JVA which enables people to collect and maintain without even setting foot on a BA aircraft.

Clearly it doesn't work for everyone but you can see why for people who travel to certain parts of the world it's a win/win.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
As in 75% off.
That's incredible. But on that basis you can see why people who come on here talking about BA planes being full are missing the point. Full of corporate travellers, cheap upgrades, ex-EUs, reward flights, staff travel etc maybe. And of course a GCSE student could fill BA planes at the right price....
subject2load likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
Entertaining, yes, but is it that surprising. We know that many on here fly BA/OneWorld because (among other things) of Avios/TP/status addiction.

Then along comes QR, offering a superior proposition, but in a way that still enables travellers to collect TPs and Avios and maintain status. And now, even better, BA and QR enter into a JVA which enables people to collect and maintain without even setting foot on a BA aircraft.

Clearly it doesn't work for everyone but you can see why for people who travel to certain parts of the world it's a win/win.
Of course. But it gives the lie to those who are forever going on about how BA's business will soon collapse because its product is such rubbish. Even those who harp on about how good QR is wouldn't generally have even given QR a thought despite the quality of its product, if it had not been for a completely different factor in their purchasing decisions. Yet they often seem to be reluctant to acknowledge just how important frequent flyer earning is to those decisions, and how it would actually trump QR's product quality if (for example) QR were suddenly to leave oneworld.

It is also not difficult to be suspicious about some FTers who are forever trumpeting how good X, Y and Z airline is when compared to BA, and yet then ask questions or express surprise about certain things in a way that shows that they actually have very little experience of flying other airlines or using other airlines' websites and so on.
HIDDY, ukgooner, Tobias-UK and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I'm not sure staff look down on it - Staff take advantage of it too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.