Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Tier Points or Avios with Paid Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
No Tier Points or Avios with Paid Upgrade?

Does anyone know if BA changed their policy on the tier points and avios for paid upgrades from economy to business?

I paid at the airport from Denver to London and was credited with the economy tier points. I contacted the exec club and got this response.

--I am sorry you were disappointed your flights 19 February and 01 March 2018 were credited with less Avios and Tier Points than you were expecting. I've checked your account and you have earned the correct Avios and Tier Points.Iberia's records confirm that you paid for a promotional upgrade to Business. While this allows you to enjoy the benefits of the new cabin both on-board and at the airport, I'm sorry to say the terms of the upgrade mean you do not earn extra Avios or Tier Points. We have credited your account with the Avios and Tier Points for your original booking in Economy.You can find more useful information on eligible classes and Executive Club partners, click here:https://www.britishairways.com/travel/collect-aviosand the full terms and conditions of the Executive Club, click here: https://ba.com/travel/ec-terms-and-conditions/public/en_gb

If you have any other queries, please contact your Executive Club Service Centre.

--

This was on a Iberia ticket flown on BA metal, thats the only thing I cant think of.

Not the end of the world, but just wondering.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
IB are the marketing airline here so it is up to them what they credit I assume?

BA does credit at the upgraded cabin level if doing a POUG or AUP on a cash fare for a BA flight. IB does not do so tho, like quite a few others such as AA, AY, LA, MH, and QF.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
When Flying BA, I've purchased multiple times an upgrade at the airport from WTP to CW and got tier and Avios points. Maybe it's different for Iberia.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaximeD
When Flying BA, I've purchased multiple times an upgrade at the airport from WTP to CW and got tier and Avios points. Maybe it's different for Iberia.
It is different for BA and they do credit at the AUP'ed or POUG'ed level, see above. When crediting to BAEC most other oneworld partners do not credit at the upgraded level though.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:29 am

Malaysia Airlines don't appear to give Business Class points on paid promotional upgrades either. I was about to do one recently and then I double-checked and bailed out.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I should have mentioned, to make sure my above post was clear.
I did pay BA at the BA desk in Denver for the upgrade, so the upgrade was with BA, not Iberia. Iberia was just the ticket my company bought (must have been cheaper).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:36 am

I understand that for most (all?) airlines an AUP doesn't result in a reissued ticket. So BA has no way of validating the claim if it's done through another airline.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:41 am

I think I am correct in saying BA do not credit tier points or avios for paid upgrades on a redemption booking, as indicated it is only for PAID bookings.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by bronco122
I should have mentioned, to make sure my above post was clear.
I did pay BA at the BA desk in Denver for the upgrade, so the upgrade was with BA, not Iberia. Iberia was just the ticket my company bought (must have been cheaper).
If it was an IB coded flight, then, despite BA metal and crediting BAEC, IB's rules would apply. Had it been a BA coded flight you would have received the upgraded TPs I think.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

OK. Thanks.

Lesson learned I guess.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
On the plus side, it sounds like you did at least receive avios and TPs without having to claim for them, which is unheard of in my experience when travelling on an IB ticket on BA metal...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus
On the plus side, it sounds like you did at least receive avios and TPs without having to claim for them, which is unheard of in my experience when travelling on an IB ticket on BA metal...
Nope. I had to claim them, but then tried to claim the ones for the upgrade and thats the one they said no on.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bronco122
Nope. I had to claim them, but then tried to claim the ones for the upgrade and thats the one they said no on.
Oh, forget that then! How hard can it be for BA to realise that we're on their aircraft, even if we bought the ticket from IB...?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DelTroon
I think I am correct in saying BA do not credit tier points or avios for paid upgrades on a redemption booking, as indicated it is only for PAID bookings.
Correct. If you upgrade a redeption (Avios) booking with cash you will not get TPs or Avios.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Deltus
Oh, forget that then! How hard can it be for BA to realise that we're on their aircraft, even if we bought the ticket from IB...?
Plus on a ticket issued by another IAG airline...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.