Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs. CX as a new BA Gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
BA vs. CX as a new BA Gold

I will qualify for BA Gold for the first time this summer following a TATL trip in BA First. I'm planning another trip (to PVG) for later in the year (same qualification year, so TP not really a concern), and have the choice between BA Club and CX Business, although the BA option allows a stopover in HKG whereas the CX option does not.

I have previously only flown BA in F, and have my reservations about BA C having looked at reviews and pictures online. At the same time, I'd earn more Avios (although potentially devalued by then), have the possibility for an upgrade to F (no space right now) and be a BA Gold flying BA (does this make the experience nicer in any way?). The stopover in HKG is nice, but even with CX I can get one full day there and not shell out for a hotel night.

CX has the nicer hard and soft product, and I have never flown them long haul, but I just wonder whether I should save that trip for an F experience.

BA is on a 777 out to PVG and 380 back from HKG, whereas CX is on a 777 to/ from AMS and 330 HKG-PVG-HKG.

I'd appreciate opinions from others who have perhaps flown both airlines between Europe and Asia as (new) Golds - which one should I go for? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:17 am

Your "new Gold" status is largely irrelevant.

I'd be taking CX J any day of the week over BA J.

Getting BA F reward space on HKG-LHR is difficult (but not impossible).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This thread might be interesting reading for you. The biggest problem with taking CX is the inevitable delays you will have flying into or out of Shanghai.

Recommended One World Carrier for London to PVG
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
CX is far superior
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Took a BA flight in F a couple of weeks ago from LHR (albeit to Middle East, not Asia). Perfectly pleasant flight - but absolutely nothing special (nor expected to be honest) about the ‘experience’ which related in any way to my Gold status.

For me I would always take CX J rather than BA J on competing routes, but others will of course have a different perspective.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
This thread might be interesting reading for you. The biggest problem with taking CX is the inevitable delays you will have flying into or out of Shanghai.

Recommended One World Carrier for London to PVG
Thanks, interesting indeed. Think I am OK time wise.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Took a BA flight in F a couple of weeks ago from LHR (albeit to Middle East, not Asia). Perfectly pleasant flight - but absolutely nothing special (nor expected to be honest) about the ‘experience’ which related in any way to my Gold status.

For me I would always take CX J rather than BA J on competing routes, but others will of course have a different perspective.
Yes, that has been my experience with BA F in the past. Perfectly nice, but nothing to write home about. But these days that is the case with LX, LH too... maybe I am just jaded. But yes after flying BA F in July, flying BA C in September will probably be a huge let down, so based on all the feedback so far I'm inclined to go with CX instead.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
On CX, you will get greeted by a SP/ISP for your custom with CX, along with the lines of "hello my name is xxx. I am the ISP/SP and its great to see you today. Here is a bottle of water* and let me know if you need any help."

You will love the lounges in HKG, though you can access it with any oneworld airlines. If you have time head to The Pier First at gate 64. I can easily spend a few hours there.

*Water is usually given on longer flights, such as those to BKK and PVG.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cysyuen
On CX, you will get greeted by a SP/ISP for your custom with CX, along with the lines of "hello my name is xxx. I am the ISP/SP and its great to see you today. Here is a bottle of water* and let me know if you need any help."

You will love the lounges in HKG, though you can access it with any oneworld airlines. If you have time head to The Pier First at gate 64. I can easily spend a few hours there.

*Water is usually given on longer flights, such as those to BKK and PVG.
Yes, on QR you get that by virtue of flying in the premium cabin, whereas on LH/LX group for eg. you only get it as a HON/SEN but not as a Star Gold. Does CX do it for OWE or only their own FF? I can live without the water as long as the crew keep my champagne glass full!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BA provides it new bedding and catering on its HKG route and new bedding on the PVG and its very likely the PVG flights will have the new catering by the summer.

CX's business class meal service was relatively weak on the HKG-LHR route although this may have changed in recent months and the AMS/HKG flights may have a better offering. It would be worth checking out the CX forum for recent reviews
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by ung1
Yes, on QR you get that by virtue of flying in the premium cabin, whereas on LH/LX group for eg. you only get it as a HON/SEN but not as a Star Gold. Does CX do it for OWE or only their own FF? I can live without the water as long as the crew keep my champagne glass full!
CX treats OWE and DMs equally to a level that CX own elites complain about it!!
​​​​​​
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ung1
Yes, that has been my experience with BA F in the past. Perfectly nice, but nothing to write home about. But these days that is the case with LX, LH too...
You missed subject2load point. While he may well think F is nothing special (we don't know...) I don't believe that's what he was referring to here, but to the fact that there was nothing special about the experiance in regards to being Gold.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman
You missed subject2load point. While he may well think F is nothing special (we don't know...) I don't believe that's what he was referring to here, but to the fact that there was nothing special about the experiance in regards to being Gold.
Right, I misread that. I wouldn't expect much to be different in F but rather in C (especially in a cabin with 90+ C seats) but I suppose that isn't the case either.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Yep, that’s pretty much the case. As mentioned, the flight itself was absolutely fine but I was responding more specifically re the ‘experience’ of travelling as a Gold member.

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:13 am

Perhaps I missed the point, but as EMD/BAG on AY I tend to be treated as a VIP. On QR in both Y and J class EMD gets me attention.
On BA, very hit and miss, except in CE or F row 1 which has been mostly good over the years.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
This may be heresy on FlyerTalk, so apologies in advance, but if it were me, in this case I'd be looking first and foremost at timings/convenience/price instead of FF status or comparisons between X and Y carrier's J/F product.

OP, what are your priorities?

Do you want a stopover in HKG? If so, BA sounds like the winner here.

Do you want the most direct route? Or the most cost effective? BA, CX or another airline may be the best option.

Do you want the best J experience regardless of cost, route or stopovers? Then it's probably CX if recognition as a Gold/OWE is important (although crews on any airline can vary in this regard, it's more likely this will be recognised on CX vs BA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.