Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Business Class Short Haul Vs. BA Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Business Class Short Haul Vs. BA Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes I prefer Air Canada. It is much cosier, and better furnished. But seriously if you have time go to both, they are like a 3 minute walk between each other. United has a slightly bigger food selection and it is much bigger (and busier). They both have Champagne at the bar, but United makes better cocktails.

This is the problem with BA's lounges, there are too many tiers, GC - > GF - > CCR, so GC ends up being awful for food; just make one amazing lounge like United or Air Canada and be done with it!
I can mostly only get into the BA GC lounge as well so I am also always disappointed to have to go past the GF and CCR to get to "where I belong". From a business class flyer (or OW Sapphire customer) perspective I think your view is very reasonable.

However if you fly First Class or have one of BA's highest tiers I am sure you would appreciate being given some separate, more special lounge. The segmented lounge offering, in turn, also differentiates BA F and BA J, so I am not sure that fusing everything into one huge lounge would be such a great idea.

You also mention AC and UA but LH and SQ segment their lounges too as far as I saw. The Senator Lounge arrangement at LHR is very 'in your face' for everyone who is in the Business Lounge. Plus, UA has a Global First Lounge in LHR so there is no "one amazing lounge" here either.

I think the argument that BA GC food is awful is very subjective because I find that they have fantastic soups all day and serve fairly decent hot food (compare this to the potato salad in LH Business Lounge). The drinks selection in BA GC is excellent and in my opinion exceeds the offering at the AC and UA lounges by far.

Last edited by David7; Apr 9, 2018 at 7:32 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

personally I find the point of posting this thread in the BA forum in the hope BA would raise its game against the competition !
A bit of a long shot but you never know.
I've never told this story as I was asked not to however as many years have passed since the event I feel it's safe to do so. I started a thread on here and soon after I was contacted via PM inviting my wife and I into the T5 BA arrivals lounge on our arrival from GRU. As it so happens we were both upgraded from WT+ to CW therefore we automatically qualified for access anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Sounds like some people have all the luck.
I bet you had the last of the champagne as well.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by jbfield

All Turkish Airlines flights or just the ones operated by the occasional long-haul aircraft?
All. I think they have a handful of proper Y-only aircraft, but you won't get those one LON-IST.

Then again, not helpful for the OP. LHR-IST-FRA for a better seat may require that old disclaimer "suitable for FT only".
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:43 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Just to stir the pot (and muddy the waters).. are there are any airlines left for which J/C on EU S-H makes a tangible difference to the hard product? I heard that Aeroflot still have better seats; Air Serbia used to have nicer seating also but they succumbed to the force of gravity and ditched it.
There are none really. The only option to have a significant hard product difference is on some routes where long-haul aircrafts operate (due to cargo mostly, sometimes other reasons): FRA-MAD, VIE-LIS, LHR-MAD, LHR-HEL, DUB-AGP, MAD-BCN, ARN-VIE are the one I know, there are a few more. So for specific routes and services, you can get a significant hard product difference, with a somewhat fluid guarantee (FRA-MAD is guaranteed, DUB-AGP less).
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Probably old news, though hopefully not already posted here.

Someone just sent me this link to a version of the Lufthansa v BA battle, posted by a rather creepy sounding blogger.

Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

personally I find the point of posting this thread in the BA forum in the hope BA would raise its game against the competition !

You do realize that it is not going to happen, right? You are just one passenger unhappy with what BA has to offer, but there are many who are. I believe a poster said earlier that they preferred LH because its cabins were always 1/3 full while BA's were full; and even though I find referring to such anecdotal 'evidence' silly, it is an interesting observation.

Starting threads like this on other airlines' forums would be about something positive, whereas starting them here is about something negative. Negative being that someone does not like BA's in-flight service. BA has not failed the person in any way, the person got exactly what he or she knew they would get, so posting here would achieve nothing more than reinforcing the views of those who already hate BA that something is wrong with the airline. There is really no remedy or recourse for such posters simply because their personal preference is to fly with a different airline. So how can we help? A little bit of positivity would not hurt Flyertalk Plus, it would give active posters on other forums a chance to provide their insight as well. We all know that BA sucks and is horrible and vicious and anti-human, A post with positive experience here would immediately draw jokes and sarcasm, so why not see what the reaction to positive experience on other airlines would be on those airlines' forums?

Did they serve any bread? Otherwise your main component on that plate is the butter!!

Yes, they did offer bread, I just declined it. I had breakfast at the airport and only took it on the plane to see how KLM was waaaaay ahead of BA and to take a picture.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Turkish also has decent seats. I think Iceland Air as well (though that is probably almost half long haul).
Yes I'm pretty certain that Icelandair uses its 757's for both short haul as well as the US routes, so it's maybe not entirely a fair comparison.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by fransknorge
There are none really. The only option to have a significant hard product difference is on some routes where long-haul aircrafts operate (due to cargo mostly, sometimes other reasons): FRA-MAD, VIE-LIS, LHR-MAD, LHR-HEL, DUB-AGP, MAD-BCN, ARN-VIE are the one I know, there are a few more. So for specific routes and services, you can get a significant hard product difference, with a somewhat fluid guarantee (FRA-MAD is guaranteed, DUB-AGP less).
Just to be sure, when you say that FRA-MAD is guaranteed are you referring to LH metal? I have this flight coming up at the end of May.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:33 am

Just to be sure, when you say that FRA-MAD is guaranteed are you referring to LH metal? I have this flight coming up at the end of May.
Probably means the LATAM B787. AFAIK LH only operates A321 and smaller.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Andriyko

This is what KL serves on the EDI-AMS route for breakfast.
While I like the fruit and lament the loss of fruit plate for breakfast on BA, this is a bit... mean, shall I say?

The fancy tray and the tray sheet don't really make up for the lack of eatable substances.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH have A330 on evening FRA-LIS.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:47 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
LATAM, a daily flight on a Dreamliner.

But as @hugolover points out, I have forgotten the daily FRA-LIS in A330 in this list, which is LH metal.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
All Turkish Airlines flights or just the ones operated by the occasional long-haul aircraft?
The TK A321s that operate LHR-IST all have proper 2x2 business class seats, there are a small number of A321s - the TC-JR* ones that have convertor seats and they are used for domestic flights and some C list destinations. That said the convertor seats are still ahead of that particular game and are wide and comfortable. All the 739s, most of the 738s, A320s and A319s also have proper C seats.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
The TK A321s that operate LHR-IST all have proper 2x2 business class seats, there are a small number of A321s - the TC-JR* ones that have convertor seats and they are used for domestic flights and some C list destinations. That said the convertor seats are still ahead of that particular game and are wide and comfortable. All the 739s, most of the 738s, A320s and A319s also have proper C seats.
If I am flying TK J out of LHR, I would make sure I manage to get onto the 777! Nothing replaces the space of a wide-body.

Of course both BA and LH use 320/321's out of LHR/MUC/FRA to most european destinations so they are very similar in terms of product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.