Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Business Class Short Haul Vs. BA Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Business Class Short Haul Vs. BA Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Must admit I'm not a fan of these 'BA Vs XX' threads.

At least the OP didn't resort to 'blew BA out of the water' type hyperbole in this one.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I recently flew LH J as well. I don't see a material difference in lounges etc. But actually what I didn't like is how military they are about luggage, whether coach or J. The purser made a point of telling me I had a wrong sized bag (talking small Tumi wheely bag, well within in BA limits) but would not check-it in this one time as a favour. Cabin wasn't even full. The luggage allowance on LH is terrible. Then she was super super nice to the Hon Circle traveler next to me and they even had a small joke between themselves at the expense of another less-experienced traveler for whatever reason (by that I mean mutual roll-eyes). Did not leave a good impression. I also didn't like the additional security/liquid checks on connecting. Catering was mediocre. All-in I would personally choose BA, though the WiFi is tempting....
David7 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Did the OP not go to the LH lounge in LHR T2 then? It's the quickest one to get to as it's right by fast check security. I quite like the LH lounge - I usually have an early flight, and the LH lounge is both quieter than the BA T5 galleries and I much prefer the breakfast choice (omelette / bacon rolls? Is that it BA?). Because the LH lounge is quite close to my flight's gate, I've never had a wander around to the other Star Alliance lounges.

BUT. I mostly fly BA since Christmas because the cost tends to be lower this year (especially when using BA holidays to book a car from Avis) and the BAEC feels vastly more beneficial to short haul European travellers than Miles and More does (on saying that, I am not sure but I've heard it suggested that the Lufthansa Miles and More credit card in Germany may accrue status miles, but as I've only lived here for four months I doubt I'd be accepted on it just yet - and it's probably still not a great mile rate!). It's so easy with BAEC to get to silver level and get some really useful perks (fast track security, lounge access, chose your seat way in advance) whereas M&M looks like it's structured around frequent long haul business flyers.

I totally understand what people are saying about the BA planes being a bit scruffy (especially the 767s). But, I did get mild food poisoning after eating a seafood meal on an LH LHR-FRA flight (like with BA, I never get offered a choice of meal, it's always just a "yes or no"!) whereas I'm usually fine with BA food (I nearly said Gate Gourmet's finest, but don't know if they still do BA's hot food?).

Oh, and in-flight WiFi is a lovely idea, but it's not free on LH European flights
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Mackle
Did the OP not go to the LH lounge in LHR T2 then? It's the quickest one to get to as it's right by fast check security. I quite like the LH lounge - I usually have an early flight, and the LH lounge is both quieter than the BA T5 galleries and I much prefer the breakfast choice (omelette / bacon rolls? Is that it BA?). Because the LH lounge is quite close to my flight's gate, I've never had a wander around to the other Star Alliance lounges.

BUT. I mostly fly BA since Christmas because the cost tends to be lower this year (especially when using BA holidays to book a car from Avis) and the BAEC feels vastly more beneficial to short haul European travellers than Miles and More does (on saying that, I am not sure but I've heard it suggested that the Lufthansa Miles and More credit card in Germany may accrue status miles, but as I've only lived here for four months I doubt I'd be accepted on it just yet - and it's probably still not a great mile rate!). It's so easy with BAEC to get to silver level and get some really useful perks (fast track security, lounge access, chose your seat way in advance) whereas M&M looks like it's structured around frequent long haul business flyers.

I totally understand what people are saying about the BA planes being a bit scruffy (especially the 767s). But, I did get mild food poisoning after eating a seafood meal on an LH LHR-FRA flight (like with BA, I never get offered a choice of meal, it's always just a "yes or no"!) whereas I'm usually fine with BA food (I nearly said Gate Gourmet's finest, but don't know if they still do BA's hot food?).

Oh, and in-flight WiFi is a lovely idea, but it's not free on LH European flights
I went to the LH lounge and found it in 3rd place behind the Air Canada Lounge and the United Lounge. It didn't have showers and I found the food quite a bit better in Air Canada and United. I timed it at a 5 minute walk to the B gates (i walk fast), but of course if you get to the airport less than an hour before departure you would have to use the LH lounge, which isn't that bad, and I'd still rate the food there better than GC.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Lufthansa has an agreement at T2 that their flights will use gates around 16 /17/18 (i suspect they pay a premium) so it is highly unlikely if you are flying LH that you would need to go to the "B" concourse.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Lufthansa has an agreement at T2 that their flights will use gates around 16 /17/18 (i suspect they pay a premium) so it is highly unlikely if you are flying LH that you would need to go to the "B" concourse.
Early flights to Munich can leave from B as the planes overnight there.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I went to the LH lounge and found it in 3rd place behind the Air Canada Lounge and the United Lounge. It didn't have showers and I found the food quite a bit better in Air Canada and United. I timed it at a 5 minute walk to the B gates (i walk fast), but of course if you get to the airport less than an hour before departure you would have to use the LH lounge, which isn't that bad, and I'd still rate the food there better than GC.
Next time I fly LH, I'll try to leave myself enough time to sample one of the other lounges then. I just hope it's not more small omelette rolls

Originally Posted by scottishpoet

I think I've only ever boarded LH from two gates - one is in the middle of the departure lounge, and the other involves going underneath where the LH lounge is, walking around the corner, and right down to the end. I can't remember the gate numbers. All I know is that the lounge is conveniently placed for both of those gates.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
For a couple of years (2015-17) I was flying CAI FRA and vv J (a four hour flight) on a fairly regular basis for business purposes. It didn’t take long both for me and a number of business colleagues to deliberately avoid LH in favour of MS (I know, that’s saying something). MS’s 738 J cabin was infinitely superior to LH’s A321 cabin - which, to my mind, isn’t really a proper business cabin at all. Furthermore, while MS ex-FRA flights boarded via an air bridge LH flights invariably required bussing - a major annoyance.
Mind you, when I was able to I flew QR CAI DOH FRA and vv.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Next time I fly LH, I'll try to leave myself enough time to sample one of the other lounges then. I just hope it's not more small omelette rolls

I think I've only ever boarded LH from two gates - one is in the middle of the departure lounge, and the other involves going underneath where the LH lounge is, walking around the corner, and right down to the end. I can't remember the gate numbers. All I know is that the lounge is conveniently placed for both of those gates.
At Air Canada I had the full english breakfast (omlette, baked beans, bacon, hash browns, sausages) and topped it off with some freshly made Pancakes and waffles with maple syrup. At around 11 am, they switched the menu and I tried out some BBQ/Maple Syrup chicken before leaving. At United it was lunchtime so I had some spring rolls, and beef stroganoff with rice. Trust me, way way better food than GC, incomparable. The good thing about United and Air Canada is either you get in to their lounge or you do not, there is no 'secret First Class or super premium status section', so the basic product in the lounge has to be good. Have a look next time you go out of T2, you won't be disappointed! Just give 10-15 mins to go back to your LH departure thats all.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
At Air Canada I had the full english breakfast (omlette, baked beans, bacon, hash browns, sausages) and topped it off with some freshly made Pancakes and waffles with maple syrup. At around 11 am, they switched the menu and I tried out some BBQ/Maple Syrup chicken before leaving. At United it was lunchtime so I had some spring rolls, and beef stroganoff with rice. Trust me, way way better food than GC, incomparable. The good thing about United and Air Canada is either you get in to their lounge or you do not, there is no 'secret First Class or super premium status section', so the basic product in the lounge has to be good. Have a look next time you go out of T2, you won't be disappointed! Just give 10-15 mins to go back to your LH departure thats all.

Which one would you say was better? Am kind of leaning towards Air Canada sounding more appealing with all that Maple syrup..
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Which one would you say was better? Am kind of leaning towards Air Canada sounding more appealing with all that Maple syrup..
Yes I prefer Air Canada. It is much cosier, and better furnished. But seriously if you have time go to both, they are like a 3 minute walk between each other. United has a slightly bigger food selection and it is much bigger (and busier). They both have Champagne at the bar, but United makes better cocktails.

This is the problem with BA's lounges, there are too many tiers, GC - > GF - > CCR, so GC ends up being awful for food; just make one amazing lounge like United or Air Canada and be done with it!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no mention at all for the far superior non-alcoholic provision in the SEN lounges? MUC Satellite and main terminal have barista coffee (Lavazza) as does FRA B. MUC is wonderful to transit in, especially the K gates.

FRA B makes very good cocktails. Last month I was there and the (German) bartender went out of his way to make me cocktails to my taste that weren’t on the menu. “How about some Baileys in your coffee Sir?” “Can I suggest a little dash of vanilla?”

BA have no draft beer at all. In fact, overall beer provision is very poor. BA have all those Diageo brands because they are placed there.

It doesn’t mean the BA lounges are crap (of course BA have only decent coffee and cocktails in the CCR which is a F Class lounge of which LH crush that with FCT/L) but you can have very good experience away from BA and away from the “Oasis of Calm”.

The food in FRA B could be very much improved. But the AC lounge is not bad at all! LOT have my most favourite Gold lounge food at the moment because there’s so much clean protein.

LH have decent printed periodicals in English like Time and Newsweek. Whereas BA have got bulk crap like hot tub monthly. You can download many others on the App. It was always an issue to get a Spectator or NS in the CCR. At 6AM I can leave KRK and be reading Speccie on my iPad.

And no mention at all for LH still having complimentary food and drink in Y, including beer, wine and Sekt. BA charge for the Super Brew tea.

Finally. Seat blocking was the norm on LH lonnnggggggg before BA. Going back when I first started this in 2007 and Pictures showing the blocked “*” Seats. Took BA nigh on 10 years!

Having said all that. SH travel is splitting hairs. It’s mostly all crap.
ahmetdouas, yurtripper and 1flyer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by creflo
One notable difference can be found when flying into/out of LCY. LH guarantees an empty seat next to you in J, BA does not.
I didn't know LH flew into LCY?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by jonas123
I didn't know LH flew into LCY?
They do from FRA. And LX flies ZRH-LCY and GVA-LCY.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 1flyer
And LX flies ZRH-LCY and GVA-LCY.
Not forgetting a (very!) seasonal SIR-LCY service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.