Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Business Class Short Haul Vs. BA Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Having flown both Lufthansa and British Airways within a month of each other on a short haul A320, I feel I can compare both products and will do a brief summary.

The seats? Well, they are pretty much the same, I felt that Lufthansa had more leg room on the A320, but maybe that's me, so I would call it even on this.
I preferred Lufthansa, mainly due to the following reasons. If you have time, the lounges at LHR T2 are quite a bit nicer than T5, assuming you have no status and can only access Business Class lounges. I found the food at the Air Canada and the United Lounges to be miles ahead of LHR Galleries, to the point of no comparison. The showers of Air Canada also felt much luxurious than the showers of Galleries Club. On board, The crew seemed cheerier overall (maybe because the staff are more happy at LH than BA these days?). Priority boarding with Lufthansa seemed easier and more organised than BA, maybe its becuase less people qualify. The catering on the London-Munich flight was a cold plate, but really nicely presented. Planes felt cleaner on LH as well?

On balance, there isn't much of a difference. But for the same price, I would choose Lufthansa over British. And frankly if you fly Business Class with Lufthansa, status is essentially irrelevant, unless you are Hon Circle of course! (one can dream)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I’m sure you will have lots of fun continuing to fly Lufthansa. I’m not quite so sure BA will be that bothered especially as you have previously admitted to only rarely flying with them.
Reference to lounges in T2 is amusing as you refer to non-LH lounges. Surely a fairer comparison would have been with the non-BA lounges in T3?

I’m also sure that you have posted similar in the LH forum or do you think that won’t give enough traction for a bit of BA bashing?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
I’m sure you will have lots of fun continuing to fly Lufthansa. I’m not quite so sure BA will be that bothered especially as you have previously admitted to only rarely flying with them.
Reference to lounges in T2 is amusing as you refer to non-LH lounges. Surely a fairer comparison would have been with the non-BA lounges in T3?

I’m also sure that you have posted similar in the LH forum or do you think that won’t give enough traction for a bit of BA bashing?
Curious post. I felt that the OP presented a balanced summary of the 2 competing offerings and did so without bias or malice. Are you replying to a different post or thread because your post is out of all prroportion to the OP’s analysis.

Last edited by lorath; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:20 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Fair points on cleanliness of the planes and legroom. Also on the LCY routes, they offer 1-1 seating on the Embraers.

Other than that, it is much of the same. The big differentiator for me is that BA mostly offers no-stops from London, whereas LH is usually a one stop. That is worth a few inconveniences.
LTN Phobia, ahmetdouas and Pelu like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

What a very strange, bitter reaction to a perfectly reasoned, even-handed, review.

Why, one wonders, would someone’s first thought be to personalise things in this way, when the OP has focussed entirely on actual flying experiences.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lorath

Curious post. I felt that the OP presented a balanced summary of the 2 competing offerings and did so without bias or malice. Are you replying to a different post or thread because your post is out of all prroportion to the OP’s analysis.
Well, to begin with OP makes numerous comments comparing the lounges and shower facilities. They aren’t even comparing LH lounges.

As for bias and malice perhaps you should look at some of their previous posts which do indicate that the OP has little history of travel with BA and has been predominantly negative. With that attitude they were never going to be looking objectively. It’s a bit like most of us when faced with the prospect of flying FR. And no, I don’t think my post is out of proportion. OP has commented and I have responded, even given a clear reason which I have repeated above.

Do you think it is appropriate to compare the two lounge offerings when one isn’t even LH? Perhaps a more realistic offering would be with the LH lounge at MUC or FRA, or at least compare to the CX/QF offerings in T3.
rracks55 and David7 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by subject2load

What a very strange, bitter reaction to a perfectly reasoned, even-handed, review.

Why, one wonders, would someone’s first thought be to personalise things in this way, when the OP has focussed entirely on actual flying experiences.

But it wasn’t even handed. See point regarding lounges.

And why the need to post on the BA board and not the LH one? Surely if OP was providing an honest critique they would want to share with both communities or perhaps be prepared to share in the one they are praising rather than the one where they are more critical of, especially as some of those criticisms aren’t even about comparing BA with LH but BA with other airline lounges.

PUCCI GALORE and David7 like this.

Last edited by madfish; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold

Well, to begin with OP makes numerous comments comparing the lounges and shower facilities. They aren’t even comparing LH lounges.

As for bias and malice perhaps you should look at some of their previous posts which do indicate that the OP has little history of travel with BA and has been predominantly negative. With that attitude they were never going to be looking objectively. It’s a bit like most of us when faced with the prospect of flying FR. And no, I don’t think my post is out of proportion. OP has commented and I have responded, even given a clear reason which I have repeated above.

Do you think it is appropriate to compare the two lounge offerings when one isn’t even LH? Perhaps a more realistic offering would be with the LH lounge at MUC or FRA, or at least compare to the CX/QF offerings in T3.
Madfish - play the ball, not the man.
IAN-UK, ajamieson, LCY8737 and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Duplicate post

Last edited by madfish; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lorath
Madfish - play the ball, not the man.
If the man is carrying the ball then that provides context.

Perhaps you may wish to comment as to why it is appropriate to compare non-LH lounge and shower facilities. I am sure the OP will provide details of their experience of the LH lounges at MUC to offer a fairer comparison. At the moment I don’t think this is a fair comparison and have suggested that comparing the offers at T2 to those at T3.

And the OP could have at least compared with the LH lounge in T2 which is written about in this post on HfP.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...ow-terminal-2/
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP

If the man is carrying the ball then that provides context.

Perhaps you may wish to comment as to why it is appropriate to compare non-LH lounge and shower facilities. I am sure the OP will provide details of their experience of the LH lounges at MUC to offer a fairer comparison. At the moment I don’t think this is a fair comparison and have suggested that comparing the offers at T2 to those at T3.

And the OP could have at least compared with the LH lounge in T2 which is written about in this post on HfP.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...ow-terminal-2/
This is someone's experience flying out of Heathrow. It obviously isn't the be-all-end-all in terms of a comparison between the two airlines, but nowhere did it claim to be, and I don't think most people mistook it to be. If people want info on LH's lounges at other airports, they will look elsewhere.

Sure, a more thorough review would have discussed the LH lounge at T2. But even if it were awful, it wouldn't change the gist of the review at all given the other access options available. And just because a review/comparison doesn't discuss every detail doesn't mean it's all somehow invalid. Most people couldn't care less about some stupid point scoring contest between airlines, they want to know about the actual travel experience!
IAN-UK and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
whats your destination though
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Surely a fairer lounge comparison would be LH's lounges at its hub at FRA with BAs lounges at its hub LHR

While I prefer the LH lounge in the nice new T2 at LHR, the lounges at FRA are not great, the food limited and the lounges in T1A can be very overcrowded

in my opinion the LH lounges at muc are ok, much better than fra, bit like I prefer the BA lounge at GLA to the BA lounge at LHR

On balance, there isn't much of a difference. But for the same price, I would choose Lufthansa over British.
agreed if its point to point, connecting then I would look at the direct flight for the same price, LH if it was a good bit cheaper, all of course subject to timings being suitable

connecting in muc is easy, lhr t5 ok, fra horrid
madfish and David7 like this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:13 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
connecting in muc is easy, lhr t5 ok, fra horrid
T5 domestic to international is OK, the other way around I'd rather go through FRA.
Crampedin13A, gordon0808 and mrow like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
. But for the same price, I would choose Lufthansa over British. And frankly if you fly Business Class with Lufthansa, status is essentially irrelevant, unless you are Hon Circle of course! (one can dream)
I do have status on Lufthansa, and personally if it was the same fare and all other factors were the same, I would not choose Lufthansa. They are a good, very professional (when not on strike), safe, reliable airline with a fantastic European network, but as with BA they come with all sorts of downsides. The Silver level on Lufthansa is pretty weak, the lounge offering in heaps of European airports is dire (Aspire is a typical partner), non existant in places like NCL thanks to the Eurowings subsidiary, and Miles and More is not a patch on BAEC. There is just one Senator lounge (in FRA only) which may come close to London's three Flounges though the range of available food is under half that of BA and the alcohol provision much weaker. T2 Senator is sparkling new but has even less food and drink options than FRA. Now I normally enjoy the MUC transfer experience - though if you think BA's Ready to Fly is harsh, just wait until you see the LH agents in MUC slamming the gate doors shut the moment they see connecting passenger madly running towards them. And so I could go on. Still, aware pf the limitations, I am generally a happy customer on Lufthansa, and the EDI-FRA service is generally a fairly slick route into that vast network.

I think it is all to easy to have a reasonably good experience on something new and think it's always briliiant. Familiarity and contempt I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.