FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Avios value (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1900414-avios-value.html)

Skysea Mar 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Avios value

I am flying with a friend from London to Athens in Buisness Class paying from my Avios account.
My friend is insisting on paying for her ticket so I am trying to find the cheapest cost.
Could anyone tell me how much one Avios is worth please?
thank you and much appreciated!

corporate-wage-slave Mar 23, 2018 11:56 pm

It's open to debate this.

Using UK sterling: You can buy Avios via obscure channels for about 1 penny each. You an buy them direct from BA.com for 1.6p each, sometimes less in sales.

The worst value redemptions you can make, which is typically for part pay with Avios (reducing a cash ticket cost by using Avios) is around 0.6p per Avios. Similar for car hire/wine/hotels. For mainstream redemptions, including something like Reward Flight Saver tickets to ATH, you can usually do a lot better, 2p per Avios isn't unusual particular if it's a single ticket. It goes up to around 4p per Avios with things like ski destinations during school holidays or one way Upgrade using Avios WTP to CW on some longhaul sectors.

So I tend to say Avios can be obtained for about 1 penny each, and therefore you are making good use of them if you can get two pennies worth of value from them.

Fitch Mar 24, 2018 12:02 am

Agree with the above on the whole.

Rob at HfP has a complex valuation algorithm but assumping a penny each just makes the maths easier :)

LondonAndy Mar 24, 2018 12:41 am

Yep, a penny per Avios is what I'd value them at - if I can't get that value through a redemption I normally pay cash.

hypercrypt Mar 24, 2018 1:02 am

When I've been in this situation where friends / family have insisted on paying for the value of the avios I've always assigned a value of 1p each.

ianwall Mar 24, 2018 2:39 am

Agree on 1p as a minimum, which is why BOB doesn't work for me, where you're only getting between 0.7p and 0.8p each depending on what is bought.

At 1p I may be tempted, but at the current values, it just feels like even more of a rip-off.

Circusplaza Mar 24, 2018 4:15 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 29560778)
It's open to debate this.

Using UK sterling: You can buy Avios via obscure channels for about 1 penny each. You an buy them direct from BA.com for 1.6p each, sometimes less in sales.

The worst value redemptions you can make, which is typically for part pay with Avios (reducing a cash ticket cost by using Avios) is around 0.6p per Avios. Similar for car hire/wine/hotels. For mainstream redemptions, including something like Reward Flight Saver tickets to ATH, you can usually do a lot better, 2p per Avios isn't unusual particular if it's a single ticket. It goes up to around 4p per Avios with things like ski destinations during school holidays or one way Upgrade using Avios WTP to CW on some longhaul sectors.

So I tend to say Avios can be obtained for about 1 penny each, and therefore you are making good use of them if you can get two pennies worth of value from them.

can you tell us more about the obscure channels?
1:1 I will buy some...

email2markt Mar 24, 2018 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Circusplaza (Post 29561109)

can you tell us more about the obscure channels?
1:1 I will buy some...

I’d head over to the Iberia forums, currently you can get 9089 Avios for €99 (~£86) if you do it right.

Circusplaza Mar 24, 2018 5:32 am

Originally Posted by email2markt (Post 29561128)

I’d head over to the Iberia forums, currently you can get 9089 Avios for €99 (~£86) if you do it right.

heading there now...

Sixth Freedom Mar 24, 2018 5:46 am

Over nearly twelve years I achieved 3.53p per Avios and for every Pound I spent with BA I got 51.8p back in value from the loyalty programme. :)

UKtravelbear Mar 24, 2018 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Skysea (Post 29560645)
I am flying with a friend from London to Athens in Buisness Class paying from my Avios account.
My friend is insisting on paying for her ticket so I am trying to find the cheapest cost.
Could anyone tell me how much one Avios is worth please?
thank you and much appreciated!

What is a cost of a cash ticket on that flight / cabin? Exclude the taxes / fees element (that need to be paid in cash for anyway) and you are left with the base fare. Then decide between the two of you what is a good cost for her to pay you based on that.

Or ask her to pay you the cost of an economy ticket.

kingcole974 Mar 24, 2018 6:20 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29561258)
What is a cost of a cash ticket on that flight / cabin? Exclude the taxes / fees element (that need to be paid in cash for anyway) and you are left with the base fare. Then decide between the two of you what is a good cost for her to pay you based on that.

Or ask her to pay you the cost of an economy ticket.

Good plan. At least then they won’t feel too hard done by when they realise they are actually in the same seat as if they had paid economy!

barracuda93 Mar 24, 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by email2markt (Post 29561128)

You can actually do better and buy 2100 Avios for 15 EUR.

As for valuation, if I get 1 Avios for a price lower than 1,5 cents, I'd normally buy. In a case of the topic starter, I'd estimate the price as 1 Avios = 2 cents.

WorldLux Mar 24, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 29561426)
You can actually do better and buy 2100 Avios for 15 EUR

Or for 0.44 pence/Avios (Tesco Clubcard conversion).

0.01£/€ is IMO quite handy: It is reasonably close to the price at which you can buy Avios and it's practical to use for calculations.

HMPS Mar 24, 2018 8:54 am

OP, the value is what you think it is. If you look up the pointsguy.com, he has a monthly feature of what miles / points are worth. Whatever is comfortable to your friend in this case is the value. Give her a min -max range and let her decide. If you want to go "super max" value, divide the cost of comparable ticket and divide by the avios you have to spend.