Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios value

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Avios value

I am flying with a friend from London to Athens in Buisness Class paying from my Avios account.
My friend is insisting on paying for her ticket so I am trying to find the cheapest cost.
Could anyone tell me how much one Avios is worth please?
thank you and much appreciated!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's open to debate this.

Using UK sterling: You can buy Avios via obscure channels for about 1 penny each. You an buy them direct from BA.com for 1.6p each, sometimes less in sales.

The worst value redemptions you can make, which is typically for part pay with Avios (reducing a cash ticket cost by using Avios) is around 0.6p per Avios. Similar for car hire/wine/hotels. For mainstream redemptions, including something like Reward Flight Saver tickets to ATH, you can usually do a lot better, 2p per Avios isn't unusual particular if it's a single ticket. It goes up to around 4p per Avios with things like ski destinations during school holidays or one way Upgrade using Avios WTP to CW on some longhaul sectors.

So I tend to say Avios can be obtained for about 1 penny each, and therefore you are making good use of them if you can get two pennies worth of value from them.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Agree with the above on the whole.

Rob at HfP has a complex valuation algorithm but assumping a penny each just makes the maths easier
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Yep, a penny per Avios is what I'd value them at - if I can't get that value through a redemption I normally pay cash.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:02 am

When I've been in this situation where friends / family have insisted on paying for the value of the avios I've always assigned a value of 1p each.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Agree on 1p as a minimum, which is why BOB doesn't work for me, where you're only getting between 0.7p and 0.8p each depending on what is bought.

At 1p I may be tempted, but at the current values, it just feels like even more of a rip-off.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's open to debate this.

Using UK sterling: You can buy Avios via obscure channels for about 1 penny each. You an buy them direct from BA.com for 1.6p each, sometimes less in sales.

The worst value redemptions you can make, which is typically for part pay with Avios (reducing a cash ticket cost by using Avios) is around 0.6p per Avios. Similar for car hire/wine/hotels. For mainstream redemptions, including something like Reward Flight Saver tickets to ATH, you can usually do a lot better, 2p per Avios isn't unusual particular if it's a single ticket. It goes up to around 4p per Avios with things like ski destinations during school holidays or one way Upgrade using Avios WTP to CW on some longhaul sectors.

So I tend to say Avios can be obtained for about 1 penny each, and therefore you are making good use of them if you can get two pennies worth of value from them.
can you tell us more about the obscure channels?
1:1 I will buy some...
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by Circusplaza

can you tell us more about the obscure channels?
1:1 I will buy some...
I’d head over to the Iberia forums, currently you can get 9089 Avios for €99 (~£86) if you do it right.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by email2markt

I’d head over to the Iberia forums, currently you can get 9089 Avios for €99 (~£86) if you do it right.
heading there now...
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Over nearly twelve years I achieved 3.53p per Avios and for every Pound I spent with BA I got 51.8p back in value from the loyalty programme.
Calum likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Skysea
I am flying with a friend from London to Athens in Buisness Class paying from my Avios account.
My friend is insisting on paying for her ticket so I am trying to find the cheapest cost.
Could anyone tell me how much one Avios is worth please?
thank you and much appreciated!
What is a cost of a cash ticket on that flight / cabin? Exclude the taxes / fees element (that need to be paid in cash for anyway) and you are left with the base fare. Then decide between the two of you what is a good cost for her to pay you based on that.

Or ask her to pay you the cost of an economy ticket.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What is a cost of a cash ticket on that flight / cabin? Exclude the taxes / fees element (that need to be paid in cash for anyway) and you are left with the base fare. Then decide between the two of you what is a good cost for her to pay you based on that.

Or ask her to pay you the cost of an economy ticket.
Good plan. At least then they won’t feel too hard done by when they realise they are actually in the same seat as if they had paid economy!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by email2markt
You can actually do better and buy 2100 Avios for 15 EUR.

As for valuation, if I get 1 Avios for a price lower than 1,5 cents, I'd normally buy. In a case of the topic starter, I'd estimate the price as 1 Avios = 2 cents.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by barracuda93
You can actually do better and buy 2100 Avios for 15 EUR
Or for 0.44 pence/Avios (Tesco Clubcard conversion).

0.01£/€ is IMO quite handy: It is reasonably close to the price at which you can buy Avios and it's practical to use for calculations.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OP, the value is what you think it is. If you look up the pointsguy.com, he has a monthly feature of what miles / points are worth. Whatever is comfortable to your friend in this case is the value. Give her a min -max range and let her decide. If you want to go "super max" value, divide the cost of comparable ticket and divide by the avios you have to spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.