Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a response..any response

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Getting a response..any response

Got caught in the mayhem Feb 28-March 2 at LHR. I have received my refund for unused ticket legs in a timely manner. I have submitted my EU 261 claim, hotel, meals and tube ticket receipts to BA in the US (Jamacia, NY). I call and the recording say to "not chase a claim" unless it is an emergency and won't take calls...they're only open 0900-1300 Mon-Friday. Emails unanswered; website enquiries unanswered. No news..no one to contact..I am an impatient person, i know. Gosh, I know that there were several near apocalyptic weather events in Feb./Mar and I know they are backlogged. Do I just suck it up and pay the 25% to Bott and Co. solicitors or wait and wait and wait?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If weather what makes you think they will pay EU261?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:36 pm

If you are eligible, why pay 25% fee? CEDR despite resolution is a free process and worked well for me! They have a clear form to use and the judgment is binding on BA if they are found responsible.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by madfish
If weather what makes you think they will pay EU261?
I asked nicely...you don't have to be rude,especially since you don't have all the facts of a trip in vain, etc....AND several other of my employees HAVE received EU 261 for weather in February!
ttama, sarahuk and lhrpete like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
It's a waiting game. I found them relatively efficient - normally not more than 6 weeks, best results for me have been by filling in the web form with all the details with no more emails to complicate the case (https://www.britishairways.com/trave...portal/public/).

Only my opinion, but if you're waiting so long for the expenses that interest is being accrued on a credit card then I think that's a little unfair and i'd be inclined to start chasing (eg 5 weeks+).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by boss315
I asked nicely...you don't have to be rude,especially since you don't have all the facts of a trip in vain, etc....AND several other of my employees HAVE received EU 261 for weather in February!
In the interest of harmony, I would suggest madfish response was not rude, rather a comment on EC261 eligibility in light of your original post.

I'm fairly new here but I find the experts who inhabit this parish are incredibly helpful on all matters BA, so in the best efforts of the c-w-s de-escalation school, perhaps you could take the response as a question and also supply any and all information that may be relevant?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Fill in the online form, attach the receipts, submit it and forget. Within a few weeks your right of care expenses will be refunded as for EU261 compensation let us know if you get it.

Personally when I dealt with complaints for a large organisation, I found the paperwork for those people who persistently contacted me kept slipping to the bottom on my in tray. I could never work out why.....
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by Swampz64
Fill in the online form, attach the receipts, submit it and forget. Within a few weeks your right of care expenses will be refunded as for EU261 compensation let us know if you get it.

Personally when I dealt with complaints for a large organisation, I found the paperwork for those people who persistently contacted me kept slipping to the bottom on my in tray. I could never work out why.....
agreed often if I was chased when busy I would find this rude and a good reason to make them wait just a little longer. You generally get the most out of customer service agents with politeness and patience at busy times
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
...AND several other of my employees HAVE received EU 261 for weather in February!
What do you mean 'for weather'

There are two elements of EU261 - compensation for delay (that does not apply to weather) and Duty of Care - which is not compensation but reimbursement (the wording of the regulation is quite specific but often confused).

When did you actually put in your claim - that's what matters not when the events were. Perhaps your employees were quicker than you in submitting their claims?

Bott and co are not going to be interested in chasing a duty of care claim. And they won't take on a case for a delay involving weather. And they don't really get your case expedited either.

And it's been less than a month so you really do need to be a bit more patient.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Got caught in the mayhem Feb 28-March 2 at LHR. I have received my refund for unused ticket legs in a timely manner. I have submitted my EU 261 claim, hotel, meals and tube ticket receipts to BA in the US (Jamacia, NY). I call and the recording say to "not chase a claim" unless it is an emergency and won't take calls...they're only open 0900-1300 Mon-Friday. Emails unanswered; website enquiries unanswered. No news..no one to contact..I am an impatient person, i know. Gosh, I know that there were several near apocalyptic weather events in Feb./Mar and I know they are backlogged. Do I just suck it up and pay the 25% to Bott and Co. solicitors or wait and wait and wait?
We were also stuck at LHR for 3 nights due to the same weather and not being able to get back to Scotland after a flight in from Tokyo. I submitted a claim online to BA for hotels, meals, underwear and socks, and transport. Came to over £1000. To be honest I wasn’t sure we would get anything like that much back. About 9 days later I had a phone call from a very nice BA customer service agent who apologised profusely for the inconvenience and said they would pay it all back bar a very small amount, I think £50 (drinks bill was over their usual limits, lol). I was pretty impressed as everyone I spoke to said I’d never get back anywhere near what I paid out. But there you go, it goes to show BA can be really customer focused. We were flying in F so not sure if that expedited my claim or not, but I would give them some time and I hope they’ll come through for you too.

Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just as a data point, my fight to India (Feb. 28) was delayed for 5 hours, and I was denied an EU 261 compensation because, I was told, the flight "was delayed because of adverse weather conditions, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. The snowfall and low air temperatures meant many of our aircraft needed to be de-iced before being allowed to take off, causing delays to the departure time of many of our flights. In addition, due to the low visibility on the runway, Air Traffic Control reduced the number of aircraft allowed to take off and land, causing both cancellations and delays." At the time, there wasn't any snow falling, or at least not very much. The response took two weeks.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Apologies for hikacking this thread rather than starting my own. But the question posed above jogged my memory...

I too was caught up in the late Feb/early March weather. I landed in LHR on the morning of Friday 2nd March. Before taking off from the US, I knew my 1pm connection to GLA had been cancelled due to weather. I was rebooked on a 6pm flight from LCY.

Not fancying hanging around for the better part of a day, I booked a day use room at the Hilton T4 for £80 to get a few hours sleep. When I woke up, I had a message that the 6pm LCY flight was also cancelled. I had been rebooked to the 5pm flight on Saturday.

It was 3pm and I figured most hotels would be filling up. I at least had the wherewithal to confirm that by checking a couple of apps and taking screenshots.

I spoke to to the front desk at the Hilton who were sympathetic and could offer me a room for £379. They were even good enough to not charge the additional £80 for the day use portion of my stay.

I know that EU261 delay compensation doesn’t apply here due to weather (it never occurred to me that it would be anything but), but I forgot that BA may still have duty of care here regardless. I know the guideline is £200 per night for a hotel, so I’m not expecting BA to cover the full amount here, but am I right in thinking I’d still be OK to apply for duty of care to contribute to this expense? I at least have a few screenshots to back up that my options were limited (although in fairness I limited my search to the Heathrow area0
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:09 am

Indeed BA will contribute - probably around the £200 level as you suggest. Unless you have anything to indicate the going rate was significantly higher.

A simple letter explaining what happened should do the trick. Include any other expenses like meals and calls home.
GM1985 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed BA will contribute - probably around the £200 level as you suggest. Unless you have anything to indicate the going rate was significantly higher.

A simple letter explaining what happened should do the trick. Include any other expenses like meals and calls home.
Thank you ^ Other expenses were nil, really, as breakfast was included and I cobbled together a dinner in the lounge at the Hilton. I'll send something off to BA and see what they say.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Again another hijack thread - we were due to fly EDI-LGW-INN on Fri 2nd Mar. About 1330 on Thurs 1st we were notified that the 0610 flight EDI-LGW was cancelled. BA rebooked us on the Saturday with later flights. This scuppered the start of our holiday seeing our friends before a ski holiday. We called on Thurs to see if we could get to London that night (to connect to original LGW-INN flight. All Scottish airports shut. The patient BA agent had a look for us - said there was a flight leaving Aberdeen in the morning at 0625 to LHR and then 0925 LHR-INN. As my other half is from Aberdeen and family still live there (free parking and lift to/from airport) ...off we went to Aberdeen (from south of Perth) in drifting snow - my trusty Ford Ka with winter tyres!

We made it and hats off to BA! A bonus of 35 TPs too :-) We really appreciated that all BA customer services agents did an excellent job.

Thankfully managed to get a refund of parking and a credit note for lounge access to No1. Lost on our £30 Premier Inn booking for the Thurs night prior to EDI flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.