Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aggressive attendant on BA flight (LHR->SYD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

I need a bit of a rant/catharsis on something that happened on a BA flight that I just keep stewing on. Maybe posting here will help get it off my chest, even if no one reads it.

I fly four times a year London to Sydney, as the head office of the company I work for is there. Sadly, they only authorise economy travel, albeit fully flexible Y class. As I live in London, BAEC seemed the most sensible choice. I knew nothing really of flyer status, airline alliances, lounge access, flight codes, or indeed the wonderful FT. I didn’t know you could even collect BAEC points on other One World carriers. I just hoped to get enough points for some European travel with BA. As it happened, I did end up getting about 400k miles and silver status, just by dint of the extreme distance.

On my last BA flight, while booking, an option to upgrade to premium economy came up for just Ł50 (on the way back). I was able to then just pay that out of my own pocket, and bill the company for the economy part.

I was quite excited about this little almost-free upgrade. It seemed to be going well until I went to the loo. I don’t recall the seat number or plane type, but I was second from front of premium section, on an aisle seat on the right hand aisle. There was a curtain to the business section, so the toilet I had to use was to the rear.

When I went to return to my seat, someone had vomited a large amount in the aisle. There was quite a commotion, and no way to pass. I waited 10 minutes, but the attendant there was still trying to clean up and it still wasn’t possible to pass

I then went to the back of the plane, round the rear galley right through to premium economy the other side. But I could see no way through even the front row in either economy or premium economy, and everyone was sleeping.

I then popped my head into business to see if I could get back to the opposite aisle via the galley there.

Then it went terribly wrong.

The rage and contempt from the attendant there was truly awful. He was in fact in the opposite aisle, by the curtain to premium economy, and therefore just a couple of paces from my seat. He literally shouted at me to get out.

I tried to explain the aisle was blocked, but he instead quick as a flash ran round the business galley to the left aisle, and then demanded I get out. I explained where my seat was, and again about the vomit blockage, but he then got even more annoyed and marched me to the back of the plane. He even insisted I go in front of him, adding to the feeling of being marched around, all the way to the back of the plane.

We then went forward again until we hit the place that had finally just been cleaned. I only had socks on, so I had to walk through damp, just-cleaned-up sick. I said this, but he actually said I was acting like a child.

I just can’t believe how he treated me - I could have just silently walked to the business galley, to the right side aisle, and back through the curtain to my seat. Just the way he had been able to come so quickly!

I complained on board, and the message was that he was ‘sorry’, but wouldn’t meet face to face. Apparently he was up for promotion, and a complaint might affect that.

I was offered a bottle of sparkling wine, which I declined. I didn’t complain as I felt guilted out of it by the promotion thing.

Phew. I feel better.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Complain. Behaviour like that should influence a decision to promote someone. It's not acceptable and there are better ways to resolve the situation
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Personally I would complain. If his promotion was so important then he should know ways of being more graceful.

I have been on a flight where I have been seated in WTP and during a meal service the crew on the trolley told pax to use the J toilets as the trolley couldn’t be moved. And the J crew have barked at the pax. It’s terrible that as a pax you’re just doing as you’re told and then get told off like school children.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
OP - you’re a better person than me.

I’d be reporting this incident directly to BA - naming and shaming the member of staff involved: no ifs, no buts. To hell with his promotion - the guy appears to have some serious behavioural problems and shouldn’t be entrusted with a senior cabin crew position.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That sounds like terrible treatment, I would write to BA and explain exactly what happened with all the details you have the crewmember should be easily identified, you probably have their name anyway?
Please make sure you say which flight it was as LHR SIN and SIN SYD would be two different crews.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Agree with other posters this is out of order!
likethis and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If he was this unnecessarily rude to you, he may well have been to someone else in the past. A calm discussion could have achieved a better result for both parties. So it is important that specifics are communicated to BA, ideally via the CSM on board, or failing that via Customer Relations, just in case the individual concerned has form. For Mixed Fleet crew this is watched very closely. The CSM is always available after the flight, if you aren't on a tight connection, should you feel strongly about the matter. Did this happen recently?

Mind you, wearing socks to the bathroom isn't something I would recommend either!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
People's perception of what is rude, aggressive etc. can vary- i.e. one person's "normal" is another person's "shouting" and often the substance or content of the instruction affects the perception of tone....

That all aside, and taking the OP at face value, this is truly awful service and absolutely warrants a complaint.
likethis likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I think I would complain if I was that upset - promotion or not. If the crew member concerned is unable to react professionally and calmly in the reported circumstances then that suggests to me the crew member might not be ready for greater responsibility,
likethis and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I'd trim it down somewhat to the key elements of aisle blocked by vomit incident, sought path back to seat, aggressive / belittling behaviour by crew, etc.

You'll then probably get a standard letter saying they know they let you down and look forwards to seeing you again. That may annoy you more, so be prepared to have to go around a few times.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:20 am

I would have let it drop if the crew member apologised face to face - we can all have a bad moment when we are tired etc. What is unforgivable is the failure to apologise in person as he was allegedly up for a promotion. At that stage I would have escalated the whole issue out of their hands and on to BA. As CIHY this sounds like terrible treatment and well below the standard we would expect and demand of our colleagues. We are all human and makes mistakes but we should learn from and acknowledge them, if that means a face to face apology then so be it.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA
Sounds awful, rudeness is not acceptable from any crewmember. I would complain as this should be raised. As CWS has said this is monitored very closely on mf.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I really hope you feel better having vented to our open and patient ears. It's awful to be treated badly by someone in a position of authority and seemingly having no options to stand up for yourself as a human being. No wonder you were stewing.

It does seem you were treated in a petty and strident way by an unpleasant person who could even be in the wrong job. Of course, when confronted by the SCCM about his behaviour, he hid and refused to speak to you face to face, like all cowardly bullies.

The fact that modern BA configure their newer aircraft with a) relatively fewer toilets, and b) so few opportunities to cross-over on twin aisle aircraft, means that crew need to be more sympathetic to this.

Complain. Don't let it drop either. It is not okay to verbally abuse or bully other human beings.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Assuming you haven't exaggerated any details (and I trust you haven't), this warrants a direct complaint to BA. No staff member should behave like that to customers.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I would definitely report to BA. If it is the only time something like this has happened then it should roll right off but if there have been other incidents then BA needs the info to take corrective action and definitely not promote anyone that acts this way. I also wouldnt be walking to the loo in my socks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.