Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aggressive attendant on BA flight (LHR->SYD)

Aggressive attendant on BA flight (LHR->SYD)

Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
absolutely complain.. I would have been furious.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: ECH Gold
It sounds like a power mad kid ! Most definitely report back to BA at the highest level.
Can you imagine if gets promotion and is in charge with that attitude.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:08 am

Absolutely agree that you should report the incident. No matter the class of travel, we are all human beings and no one deserves to be treated like that.

That said, I see little difference between walking on recently cleaned vomit carpet in socks and walking into an airplane toilet in socks. Both are pretty gross!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:11 am

Wait...you went to loo in just your socks?

Sorry the FA was rude to you.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wear socks to the loo. I also clean the insides of my shoes later on.

My response to the refusal to meet face to face would have been that he doesn't deserve to be promoted.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For Mixed Fleet crew this is watched very closely.
I don't want to start another MF/WW/EF debate, but why is this watched more closely for MF? Would the same behaviour be more acceptable coming from WW? Is it any more serious to be given abuse by someone wearing a hat than not?

(I know that MF are unlikely to be wearing their hats mid-flight, but still...)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:28 am

I agree, this warrants a complaint. And I would argue because of, not in spite of, the fact that the individual concerned is in line for a promotion.

This would have been so much better handled had the crew member had a quiet word and said "I'm sorry, I'm not supposed to allow you in the business cabin, I need to ask you to return to your cabin" which would have allowed you the opportunity to explain the situation, and the response would (hopefully) have been "of course, just nip through the galley and return to your cabin"

IMHO, one of the key characteristics of a good SCCM/CSM/CSD is the ability to exercise a little discretion and flexibility. Someone who can look at a situation, know what is "supposed" to happen versus what "should" happen and make a judgment call is worth their weight in gold, and probably leads a good team and service as a result. An authoritarian, on the other hand, isn't good for passengers, and I suspect isn't good for the crew who work under them either, and probably (although I can't prove it) leads to some of the instances of poorer service we sometimes hear about here.
MSPeconomist and annihilation like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Deltus
but why is this watched more closely for MF?
There's a much stricter level of performance management within Mixed Fleet.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should file a complaint. Keep it much shorter than the OP itself as the whole back-and-forth about the vomit is irrelevant other than to the extent that the aisle was blocked. The point here is not that the aisle was blocked but that CC was rude.

Terms such as "rude" and "agrressive" are also unhelpful. Specific actions and words are critical.

OP will still likely receive a cut & paste response, but this does not mean that BA has not dealt with the employee.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would file and follow up, sometimes airlines tend to just brush off the problem, hoping you will go away.
I had a very bad FA on a AA flight from ORD to LHR,
Contacted AA about it, after here first response.. sorry.. we value your business... loyal flyer..... told that they would not be enough,
they deposited 2 SWU (upgrade certs ) to my account.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I stepped away from the keyboard, as they say, for a few minutes after posting this.

Im so grateful to come back and read all your supportive replies - saying it out loud and hearing back it was indeed not acceptable sounds corny I know, but it has indeed helped. I think @mjh0s reponse got to the heart of it - the reason it got under my skin so much was I felt really powerless, as kicking up a fuss isnt really an option on board - in this climate it feels like that could end in a crazy escalation like diversion and deboarding.

This was a few months ago now (I know, like I say, stewing) - so despite all the recommendations to complain, Im not sure it would be possible to really follow up.

Will have a think about it, but thanks again all of you, and especially those who seem to be BA colleagues.
rssfed23 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:57 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
You've got to the heart of it, really. In these modern times air crew have the ability to act with impunity and it doesn't matter how in the wrong they are, you can end up in quite serious trouble if you decide to stand your ground.

I fear that this long after the event - you'll be on a hiding to nothing. Time has passed, the crew and BA will question the veracity of your recollection. Complaining will also not get you anything in the way of knowing if the crew concerned were warned about their conduct for reasons of confidentiality.

In your shoes, I'd be taking another way of complaining open to you - and that would be taking your business to another airline. It's meaningless in the general scheme of things, but perhaps it'll give you some closure and fully-flex tickets in Y to Sydney are not cheap.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Deltus

(I know that MF are unlikely to be wearing their hats mid-flight, but still...)
A small point, but, we also wear hats on WW, when on the A380 and the 787.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 23, 2018 at 7:52 am Reason: repair quotation
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Meh
The guy is rude and acted like an ....
You sound reasonable. I would move on, life is too short.
I would also be a bit more creative with what airlines to use if possible. Full flex Y price to SYD = possible I class with another airline.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
One crewmember doesn’t make a bad airline, the OP could change airlines and still meet someone like this.
I really hope that the OP complains it is not too late and your action could result in the person being managed and not promoted.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.