Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No claret in the CCR!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I'm not really sure why anyone would get upset a particular 'type' of wine isn't available. Being claret is absolutely no guarantee of quality. Indeed you'll get far higher quality for the same price by choosing something without the 'name' so really it's quite sensible for BA not to offer it it would just be a sop to creating an illusion of luxury without having the budget to really deliver it. Especially with demand for claret soaring in many parts of the world purely as a status symbol, an airline is very unlikely to give you anything decent. Frankly give me a good Malbec any day. With a lump of bife de chorizo. Heaven for less than a tenner.
HMPS and lostinlondon like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by nallison
I'm not really sure why anyone would get upset a particular 'type' of wine isn't available. Being claret is absolutely no guarantee of quality. Indeed you'll get far higher quality for the same price by choosing something without the 'name' so really it's quite sensible for BA not to offer it it would just be a sop to creating an illusion of luxury without having the budget to really deliver it. Especially with demand for claret soaring in many parts of the world purely as a status symbol, an airline is very unlikely to give you anything decent. Frankly give me a good Malbec any day. With a lump of bife de chorizo. Heaven for less than a tenner.
But it isn't just about perceived quality - people may enjoy a particular tradition and style of wine. Also, I'm unsure who is getting 'upset'?
lukew likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I only had a brief visit yesterday so 'made do' with LPGS.

Will be back later in the week for a longer visit, so will certainly check what the status is then.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I've been fed a lot of "almost Bordeaux" from a lot of other parts of the world, and while many were quite fine wines in their own right, that right was not Bordeaux and they all showed that duplicating the combination of dry mild tannins, aged dried fruit flavours, and very long finish in the mouth of good Bordeaux is quite difficult.

A recent example is Capaia One. It's very nice, but it's too fruity to be Bordeaux, even if they are trying hard to make it like Bordeaux.

So, I would like an actual Bordeaux style wine available, as well as some good southern European red, some South American Malbec or similar, and some Cape Pinotage, and so on. They're different and trying to claim you can substitute one for another is just not on.
dodgeflyer and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by nallison
You are, of course, absolutely right about this. But the issue as I understand it is that the other red wines available in the CCR are only very rarely up to the same quality standard as the claret that is typically available. I love a good Malbec too, but you won't find such a wine in the CCR sadly.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's threads like this one which make me love FT so much. You are truly my people. Without wanting to make another reference to Cape Town, all I can say is that it could be worse. I'm having to fly AA today.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Malbec man here so during a lounge visit or on board I like to take the opportunity to sample wines I haven't tried before.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Malbec man here so during a lounge visit or on board I like to take the opportunity to sample wines I haven't tried before.
And I also. It is quite nice to think that some people behind the scenes have taken some care in assembling this wine list - in particular wines that are going to be able to stand up against 30,000 feet, and to enjoy the fruits of their labour. In F I will sometimes ask for half a glass of a different wine with each course so I can try most of the wines. On last trip to SFO though the crew member was resistant, and ended up giving me full glasses despite my feeble protestations
HIDDY and frasier like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by simons1
Well just as with the claret in the CCR there is quite a lot if hyperbole involved, and day zero has suddenly disappeared backwards into 2019.....
True the "deadlines' have been pushed into the future. As I understand it, the dates were decided by if it does not rain to replenish our reservoirs......perhaps people who actually traveled there can tell us if water can be spent " like water" ?

Originally Posted by DFB_london

fascinating but irrelevant. This whole BS about excusing cr-ppy service and product as a first world problem is tiring and irrelevant.

Last I checked the CCR was in London and there are nt any water issues there.

There is a major de premiuming of the product while fares are going up not down. And last I checked BA does not set product based on water supplies in a corrupt country 11 hours flying time away...

1 "Irrelevant" You have a right to your opinion. It was pointed out to show kinds of things we lament over when "living in heaven" as compared to a majority of humanity.
2 No, no water issues except when lounge(s) close down due to water flooding ? Seriously though, do read the above line.
3 DO CHECK MY POSTS. I am CONSISTENTLY in favour of calling out poor service...or poor goods that fall short of what is "customary" for that price point. Been chided enough for emphasizing " CUSTOMER" in my posts....to highlight we have lost our way in delivering what the pax wants.....
4 As to " depremiuming" of product ( & services) this forum has umpteen posts on enhancements. At the same time as pointed out upstream a particular brand / varietal may be someone's fav while others prefer brand X. All a matter of one's own priorities. I have been often "counseled" , if you don't like it , pick another carrier !
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
True the "deadlines' have been pushed into the future. As I understand it, the dates were decided by if it does not rain to replenish our reservoirs......perhaps people who actually traveled there can tell us if water can be spent " like water" ?

1 "Irrelevant" You have a right to your opinion. It was pointed out to show kinds of things we lament over when "living in heaven" as compared to a majority of humanity.
2 No, no water issues except when lounge(s) close down due to water flooding ? Seriously though, do read the above line.
3 DO CHECK MY POSTS. I am CONSISTENTLY in favour of calling out poor service...or poor goods that fall short of what is "customary" for that price point. Been chided enough for emphasizing " CUSTOMER" in my posts....to highlight we have lost our way in delivering what the pax wants.....
4 As to " depremiuming" of product ( & services) this forum has umpteen posts on enhancements. At the same time as pointed out upstream a particular brand / varietal may be someone's fav while others prefer brand X. All a matter of one's own priorities. I have been often "counseled" , if you don't like it , pick another carrier !
To be fair, this is a thread discussing the availability of Claret in the CCR and latterly GF too. While I would quite agree that it is a "first world problem", I think you'd have to concede that your original post was designed to get exactly the reaction that it did.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
mickeyjaw pray expand on FTFY

FTFY = Fixed That For You.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
To be fair, this is a thread discussing the availability of Claret in the CCR and latterly GF too. While I would quite agree that it is a "first world problem", I think you'd have to concede that your original post was designed to get exactly the reaction that it did.
OMG is this the first time a thread has branched off to make a point? I am surprised that you claim to know what was/ is in my mind .I do not know what you know was in my mind. Care to elaborate ?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
OMG is this the first time a thread has branched off to make a point? I am surprised that you claim to know what was/ is in my mind .I do not know what you know was in my mind. Care to elaborate ?
hydropolitical events far away are still irrelevant.

relevant is that generally there’s an expectation of a product not being delivered.

some may think it a first world problem but that’s where the CCR is located. (At London Heathrow for anyone that ‘missed’ that).

The CCR staff also welcome visitors of all nationalities cultures and creeds, which is more than I can say for what I STILL see at some South African establishments I’ve visited (and will not return to or provide with any business as a result.)
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL

On message today
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SuperstarDJ
On message today

Interesting. A week ago there was just the 3 reds in the left of your photo (see my post 42 of 24 March). On Friday it was joined by a bulk red from the USA, and today we're up to Ch. Lynch-Moussas 2009.
SuperstarDJ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.