Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-BKK Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by JustPete
No I am chasing the TP like I mention earlier.
Ah, I missed that.
Originally Posted by JustPete
My work travel has bombed considerably over the last few months, so a trip like this has the option to be a big boost to my balance
Join the club.
You can do some island-hopping from BKK on MH to TPE/CMB/DEL and back for reasonable money and 360 TP before your return. I think that HKG is < 2000 nm and therefore NBG. I went to TPE, but it will be very hot in July.
I like a window seat on the BA J flights to BKK because you can watch other aircraft more easily sitting backwards.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
I did Thai to BKK in November, the price was better and their business class seats are way better, definitely worth looking into.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Premier (Level 1), Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond (via BA)
Does anyone know when this will be changed? By May next year?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:44 pm

Unfortunately I would recommend choosing a different carrier or codeshare option, even via another hub, if you can. The BA 777s used on this long flight are basically some of the oldest and even dirtiest with unreliable and dated IFE systems. The onboard service for the day flight return is also hit and miss and inconsistent. In summary, flying BA to BKK is risky! User be aware.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Unfortunately I would recommend choosing a different carrier or codeshare option, even via another hub, if you can. The BA 777s used on this long flight are basically some of the oldest and even dirtiest with unreliable and dated IFE systems. The onboard service for the day flight return is also hit and miss and inconsistent. In summary, flying BA to BKK is risky! User be aware.
So you are suggesting to avoid any route where BA deploys the old 772s?

To be honest, I find a lot of the comments on the BA service to BKK quite exaggerated. Granted, if state of the art IFE is a must, then by all means look elsewhere. But other than that, and unless the outbound crew have popped open the return stock of the bar, you'll be fine taking the BA9/10 rotation. At least personally, I have only had good experiences on the route so far

I saw another post recently stating that "nothing will ever be 100% perfect on any carrier" - that statement is worth keeping in mind on this topic too, as well as most aspects of life in general.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by chongcao
I think BKK could benefits from the newly configured Gatwick 10 across B777s. At least that would be an upgrade in terms of WT and WTP products.
The LHR-BKK route is one I take often each year and CW on it is perfectly fine so long as you nab a window seat.

Recently I have switched to Gulf Air however as no need for ex-EU and still cheaper than BA.

Gulf Air have better business class now as well not to mention better catering on board.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK

To be honest, I find a lot of the comments on the BA service to BKK quite exaggerated. Granted, if state of the art IFE is a must, then by all means look elsewhere. But other than that, and unless the outbound crew have popped open the return stock of the bar, you'll be fine taking the BA9/10 rotation. At least personally, I have only had good experiences on the route so far

I saw another post recently stating that "nothing will ever be 100% perfect on any carrier" - that statement is worth keeping in mind on this topic too, as well as most aspects of life in general.

I agree with this. I've been taking BA9 for four or five times a year since it changed times and to a 777-200 and the only thing that annoys me is the inconsistency of the crew. Most of the time they are very good but sometimes poor. I always manage to get 5A or 5K and I find it quite funny that the poor crews are the ones who tell me to turn right when I board - they don't know the layout of the aircraft.

I took BA9 back in July and had an indifferent crew which has caused me to book with Finnair in October but that is also because I'm bored of ex-AMS lol. Its a shame because the crew I had on BA9 the other day was fantastic.

I've never had the IFE fail and I don't think I've found excessive dirt. Its also worth pointing out that G-YMME is regularly used on BA9/10 and has wifi fitted and working. I used it for the free hour back in May but didn't bother other day when we had G-YMME again.

As far as I can tell, the same planes are used to EZE, BLR, GCM/NAS and TLV.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I have this flight coming up - had options to go via HKG but just prefer flying direct - im not concerned about the 777-200 - done them many times from Gatwick in J - yes the IFE is poor but I’ll just take my laptop and load some movies ! Other than that the cabin is identical - service wise I’ve had indifferent and amazing crews on many different sectors across Mixed and Worldwide fleets - I don’t expect this one to be any different - it’s always a bit of a roulette ! At least BKK has the new bedding now - albeit not new catering but hopefully by end of November they do.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
I recently flew CW to BKK on the 777 from LHR. It was probably the worst long haul flight I've taken. The plane was dirty and the crew (mixed fleet) were just awful - they seemed more interested in what they where going to wear that night than providing any decent customer service. The flight time's aren't great either.

Thankfully I flew back via HKG on A380 - great flight and fabulous crew too.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Remember, this is FT. The power of groupthink means that whenever one of these aircraft is rostered to fly to BKK, it immediately becomes much worse than when it's flying on any other route.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Remember, this is FT. The power of groupthink means that whenever one of these aircraft is rostered to fly to BKK, it immediately becomes much worse than when it's flying on any other route.
That is all well and true, but it is worth remembering that all of the competitive products to BKK mean that the value equation differential is pronounced on this route that give the BA BKK service such a poor reputation. (And I say this as someone that would connect to BKK, not look for a non-stop service ex-LON since I am not based there.).
capin likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
That is all well and true, but it is worth remembering that all of the competitive products to BKK mean that the value equation differential is pronounced on this route ...
That's a perfectly fair point. But the one that's usually made here isn't!
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rossmacd

That is all well and true, but it is worth remembering that all of the competitive products to BKK mean that the value equation differential is pronounced on this route that give the BA BKK service such a poor reputation. (And I say this as someone that would connect to BKK, not look for a non-stop service ex-LON since I am not based there.).
I've flown BA9/10 a lot since 2000 in Y, W and J (and a few jumpseats) on the 747-200, 747-400, 777-300 and now 777-200. The J hard product is poor, in fact, in my opinion it awful compared to the competition (I've flown to BKK on QR, EK, EY, AY, QF, CX, TG, RJ and Air Asia) so I only fly it if it is significantly cheaper than all the competition. The Y product is OK, I'd take BA9/10 in Y before I'd fly a 10 abreast 777 on another carrier. I've always found the BA crews on BA9/10 excellent!

Last edited by capin; Sep 6, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Premier (Level 1), Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond (via BA)
Would the best seats in J be 5 A and K?
Assuming the aircraft is not changed by next year when my flight is. MAY
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
I had 5k - it’s private and don’t have to climb over anyone to exit. But it’s missing a window - and it did feel a bit dingy. I think I’d rather have another window seat if flew again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.