Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancelling one passenger of an award booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist

It looks like my wife won't be able to travel with me on an a flight I have booked with Avios. Will it be possible to just cancel her ticket and leave mine intact?

Alternatively (it is a short US flight on AA, so only a few thousand Avios and a negligible amount of cash), if this is not going to be possible and she no-shows, will that affect my ability to travel?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
If the only sector on that PNR is the flight your wife isn't going to fly, then call up the Gold line and they will be able to adjust the booking. If it's one of many sectors and you've already started the first sector then you won't be able to cancel. However, there shouldn't be any implications to you flying if she is a no-show
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Yes, you can cancel just one ticket by phone. If done more than 24hr before the flight you will have your avios back.
By the way, you would be able to travel even if your travel companion doesn't show.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
If it's one of many sectors and you've already started the first sector then you won't be able to cancel. However, there shouldn't be any implications to you flying if she is a no-show
If there are further sectors on the ticket after the one that is going to be missed, presumably these would be at risk of the usual rule that all subsequent sectors will be automatically cancelled?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If there are further sectors on the ticket after the one that is going to be missed, presumably these would be at risk of the usual rule that all subsequent sectors will be automatically cancelled?
My understanding is that any additional sectors would be lost for the passenger that is a no-show, not all passengers on the booking.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all - it's just a simple direct internal US flight, no other sectors, so this all sounds good.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AA Gold
Just wanted to check on this, as not sure if different rules apply to non-Gold members.

I'm a Silver looking to fly from the UK to the US and back with my wife. She may have to cancel closer to the date of the trip, but we will know well before 24 hours ahead of departure. Can I call up and cancel just her ticket and get a full refund of both the Avios and fees/taxes that apply to her portion of the ticket? Or does that only happen for Gold members?

I will definitely be going, so it's a question of just cancelling her travel.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by CheVive
Just wanted to check on this, as not sure if different rules apply to non-Gold members.

I'm a Silver looking to fly from the UK to the US and back with my wife. She may have to cancel closer to the date of the trip, but we will know well before 24 hours ahead of departure. Can I call up and cancel just her ticket and get a full refund of both the Avios and fees/taxes that apply to her portion of the ticket? Or does that only happen for Gold members?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Hi,

There would be a charge of 35GBP for cancelling the ticket which is removed from the fees/charges paid (GGL are exempt). If the fees/taxes are less than GBP35 ( ie US domestic) then you would just lose that amount with nothing more to pay. The full amount of avios is refunded.

Regards

TBS
CheVive likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CheVive
Can I call up and cancel just her ticket and get a full refund of both the Avios and fees/taxes that apply to her portion of the ticket? Or does that only happen for Gold members?

And just to make this explicit: There is no difficulty with splitting the booking in order to cancel only one passenger, leaving your own ticket untouched. Only one cancellation fee will be charged.
CheVive likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.