FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Trip in First to ORD in the summer. Advice on price, itinerary and TPs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1899894-trip-first-ord-summer-advice-price-itinerary-tps.html)

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 6:11 am

Trip in First to ORD in the summer. Advice on price, itinerary and TPs

Hi All,

I am planning to go to Chicago in the summer to visit a friend, have a mini holiday and get some Tier Points at the same time.

I have found a good fare out of Inverness and you can see two of the options below. It is possible at JFK, BOS or EWR. If I left with the morning flight out of INV, I’d have the option of an overnight in ATL rather than at LHR.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6692dfd0f9.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...158c160598.png

Could I do better in terms of price and/or TPs? Any recommendations on routing? Transiting through JFK is a bit of a pain, but then I would get access to the CCR on the way back. What should I go for on the outbound?

Anything else I might be missing?

UKtravelbear Mar 21, 2018 6:25 am

changing to AA at JFK would get you access (by dint of your BA Gold / OW Emerald status) to the AA Flagship check-on and Lounge which makes the transfer a little less painful

I'd say that was a pretty good price. I'm doing an ex-INV to Chicago via JFK in April in J for £1350.

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 6:25 am

Oh, and the other question I have is if there would be any way to get AA to issue this, as I have 2 $100 vouchers to spend with them!

UKtravelbear Mar 21, 2018 6:33 am

Try the AA multi trip option on the AA website or call them and give them the AA codeshare numbers. The AA phone staff are great. Will cost you £15 for the phone booking fee.

BerksFlyer Mar 21, 2018 6:52 am

I do NYC to ORD a couple of times a year and I never go direct so that I squeeze in another 40TPs each way. I am assuming this fare allows connections in the US of course.. Via Charlotte provides a regular service with easy connections at the airport.

my personal preference is to get a later flight out of NYC to LON so that im tired. A 6:10pm flight from EWR on an7u7 is something I would avoid! YMMV though.

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 8:04 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29550158)
Try the AA multi trip option on the AA website or call them and give them the AA codeshare numbers. The AA phone staff are great. Will cost you £15 for the phone booking fee.

The issue is that Matrix does not give the same price with the AA codeshare numbers. I haven’t checked the fare rules but I suspect that might be the reason!

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer (Post 29550232)
I do NYC to ORD a couple of times a year and I never go direct so that I squeeze in another 40TPs each way. I am assuming this fare allows connections in the US of course.. Via Charlotte provides a regular service with easy connections at the airport.

my personal preference is to get a later flight out of NYC to LON so that im tired. A 6:10pm flight from EWR on an7u7 is something I would avoid! YMMV though.

I tried to include an extra stop in the US by adding an X but it pushed the price up. I will try using CLT explicitly as sometimes Matrix does prefer more specific queries!

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 29550533)

I tried to include an extra stop in the US by adding an X but it pushed the price up. I will try using CLT explicitly as sometimes Matrix does prefer more specific queries!

I've just tried and INV-LHR-JFK-CLT-ORD adds another £1k! :(

It also seems that I can only get 747s on the TATL segments!

thunderlounge Mar 21, 2018 9:47 am

£1700 is R/T in F price?

Holy [expletive] we get shafted going the opposite direction.

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by thunderlounge (Post 29550891)
£1700 is R/T in F price?

Yes, it is. Obviously only the TATL is in First. And it's a special fare! Prices are not always like that!

ThatT1Feeling Mar 21, 2018 9:50 am

£1700 is R/T in F price?

... but do you want to go to Inverness??

thunderlounge Mar 21, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ringingup (Post 29550894)
Yes, it is. Obviously it's only the TATL in First. And it's a special fare! Prices are not always like that!

Actually, by your schedule you posted, your US domestic would be in Domestic F. So not a bad deal at all. Why are you not booking this right. now. :D :D :D

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 29550903)
... but do you want to go to Inverness??

For that price, sure. Nothing a cheap internal flight in the UK wouldn't solve.

I'm looking in the off-season from US->UK in December right now. So far prices just for business is $3800 (£2700) give or take. Tickets I booked for summer weren't even that high. Although I admit I must have picked up a decent deal, but even r/t into LHR was only $3600 at the time.

It is what it is, obviously, but it just amazes me sometimes that US-UK/EU is at times almost double the same route but ex-UK/EU.

HIDDY Mar 21, 2018 10:04 am

£1700 is R/T in F price?

Fortunately for BA not everyone wishes to start their journey 550 miles from their front door.

You make a very good point though. Compared to others spread around the world UK/Europe based travellers have it very easy.

ringingup Mar 21, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by thunderlounge (Post 29550946)
Actually, by your schedule you posted, your US domestic would be in Domestic F. So not a bad deal at all. Why are you not booking this right. now. :D :D :D

Oh yes! But I mean... Domestic First and TATL First are not exactly the same :D

BearX220 Mar 21, 2018 10:45 am

£1700 is R/T in F price?

I'll say. I just priced a mirror-image trip ORD-LHR-INV in F, on OP's selected dates... $4,875, or about £3,465. Exactly 2X what OP is looking at.