Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip in First to ORD in the summer. Advice on price, itinerary and TPs

Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi All,

I am planning to go to Chicago in the summer to visit a friend, have a mini holiday and get some Tier Points at the same time.

I have found a good fare out of Inverness and you can see two of the options below. It is possible at JFK, BOS or EWR. If I left with the morning flight out of INV, Id have the option of an overnight in ATL rather than at LHR.

Could I do better in terms of price and/or TPs? Any recommendations on routing? Transiting through JFK is a bit of a pain, but then I would get access to the CCR on the way back. What should I go for on the outbound?

Anything else I might be missing?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
changing to AA at JFK would get you access (by dint of your BA Gold / OW Emerald status) to the AA Flagship check-on and Lounge which makes the transfer a little less painful

I'd say that was a pretty good price. I'm doing an ex-INV to Chicago via JFK in April in J for 1350.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Oh, and the other question I have is if there would be any way to get AA to issue this, as I have 2 $100 vouchers to spend with them!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Try the AA multi trip option on the AA website or call them and give them the AA codeshare numbers. The AA phone staff are great. Will cost you 15 for the phone booking fee.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I do NYC to ORD a couple of times a year and I never go direct so that I squeeze in another 40TPs each way. I am assuming this fare allows connections in the US of course.. Via Charlotte provides a regular service with easy connections at the airport.

my personal preference is to get a later flight out of NYC to LON so that im tired. A 6:10pm flight from EWR on an7u7 is something I would avoid! YMMV though.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Try the AA multi trip option on the AA website or call them and give them the AA codeshare numbers. The AA phone staff are great. Will cost you 15 for the phone booking fee.
The issue is that Matrix does not give the same price with the AA codeshare numbers. I havent checked the fare rules but I suspect that might be the reason!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I do NYC to ORD a couple of times a year and I never go direct so that I squeeze in another 40TPs each way. I am assuming this fare allows connections in the US of course.. Via Charlotte provides a regular service with easy connections at the airport.

my personal preference is to get a later flight out of NYC to LON so that im tired. A 6:10pm flight from EWR on an7u7 is something I would avoid! YMMV though.
I tried to include an extra stop in the US by adding an X but it pushed the price up. I will try using CLT explicitly as sometimes Matrix does prefer more specific queries!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup

I tried to include an extra stop in the US by adding an X but it pushed the price up. I will try using CLT explicitly as sometimes Matrix does prefer more specific queries!
I've just tried and INV-LHR-JFK-CLT-ORD adds another 1k!

It also seems that I can only get 747s on the TATL segments!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:47 am

1700 is R/T in F price?

Holy [expletive] we get shafted going the opposite direction.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
1700 is R/T in F price?

Yes, it is. Obviously only the TATL is in First. And it's a special fare! Prices are not always like that!

Last edited by ringingup; Mar 21, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
1700 is R/T in F price?

... but do you want to go to Inverness??
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Yes, it is. Obviously it's only the TATL in First. And it's a special fare! Prices are not always like that!
Actually, by your schedule you posted, your US domestic would be in Domestic F. So not a bad deal at all. Why are you not booking this right. now.

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
... but do you want to go to Inverness??
For that price, sure. Nothing a cheap internal flight in the UK wouldn't solve.

I'm looking in the off-season from US->UK in December right now. So far prices just for business is $3800 (2700) give or take. Tickets I booked for summer weren't even that high. Although I admit I must have picked up a decent deal, but even r/t into LHR was only $3600 at the time.

It is what it is, obviously, but it just amazes me sometimes that US-UK/EU is at times almost double the same route but ex-UK/EU.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1700 is R/T in F price?

Fortunately for BA not everyone wishes to start their journey 550 miles from their front door.

You make a very good point though. Compared to others spread around the world UK/Europe based travellers have it very easy.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Actually, by your schedule you posted, your US domestic would be in Domestic F. So not a bad deal at all. Why are you not booking this right. now.
Oh yes! But I mean... Domestic First and TATL First are not exactly the same
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
1700 is R/T in F price?

I'll say. I just priced a mirror-image trip ORD-LHR-INV in F, on OP's selected dates... $4,875, or about 3,465. Exactly 2X what OP is looking at.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.