Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip in First to ORD in the summer. Advice on price, itinerary and TPs

Trip in First to ORD in the summer. Advice on price, itinerary and TPs

Reply

Old Mar 21, 18, 11:51 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 924
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Fortunately for BA not everyone wishes to start their journey 550 miles from their front door.

You make a very good point though. Compared to others spread around the world UK/Europe based travellers have it very easy.
Aye, they do. I did find a ďdealĒ that included 13 nights hotel in Brussels for about $1200 less than just flights on their own. Not ideal since I need to be in the UK half the time, but probably good enough. Even adding in a return on eurostar.



Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
Oh yes! But I mean... Domestic First and TATL First are not exactly the same
Quite true, but beats EU J in terms of seat/space.
thunderlounge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 12:00 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,541
So, it appears I would need to be in Chicago during the day on 19th April so that I can go to see a Cubs match.

I will have to spend an overnight at ATL, JFK/LGA, BOS, or EWR. Hotels near BOS airport seem to be crazily expensive! EWR is cheaper, but taking the EWR on the outbound would mean not much time in the CCR. Taking a later flight to JFK would be possible, but that would involve flying out of LGA in the morning. Should I be concerned about traffic? Perhaps I could take a taxi to an airport near LGA on my arrival so that I avoid the morning traffic?
ringingup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 12:06 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 924
If you're a baseball fan, or at least know the history of it all, a trip to Wrigley Field is incredible. It will probably be a bit chilly in April, so plan accordingly. Pick up some cheap clothes in town if need be, and drop off at a charity before you leave (unless you have the luggage space.)

The inside has changed since it opened way back when, but overall it's still pretty similar outside. It's kind of overwhelming (again, if you know/appreciate the history of it all) to be standing on the same corner where the goat incident was, for example.


As for your overnight options, me personally I'd go in order of ATL, BOS, pause a good while and then consider JFK/LGA. I would not even consider EWR.
thunderlounge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 12:17 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,055
The BA booked hotels are a little bit more reasonable in my experience. There's also airbnb which is worth a look. Also you can uber or hire a car and get a little out of town for better rates.
bisonrav is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 1:09 pm
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,541
Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
If you're a baseball fan, or at least know the history of it all, a trip to Wrigley Field is incredible. It will probably be a bit chilly in April, so plan accordingly. Pick up some cheap clothes in town if need be, and drop off at a charity before you leave (unless you have the luggage space.)

The inside has changed since it opened way back when, but overall it's still pretty similar outside. It's kind of overwhelming (again, if you know/appreciate the history of it all) to be standing on the same corner where the goat incident was, for example.


As for your overnight options, me personally I'd go in order of ATL, BOS, pause a good while and then consider JFK/LGA. I would not even consider EWR.
Thanks. I know nothing about baseball but my friend has tickets and Iíd love to get the experience!

What are the reasons behind your preference of airport? Are they so strong youíd be willing to potentially skip the CCR at LHR?

And what is so bad about EWR?
ringingup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 1:48 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 924
For airports it’s an overall factor of transit, immigration, etc.

LGA has construction, which could be an impact, but can’t say for sure. JFK immigration usually isn‘t horrid, but can be on occasion. I try to go through DFW as much as possible myself, mainly for the extra hour or two going east on an overniht.


As for EWR, not a fan of setup, or location.


That just from my personal POV, and others may differ.
thunderlounge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 2:05 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,365
Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
So, it appears I would need to be in Chicago during the day on 19th April so that I can go to see a Cubs match.
We would say Cubs "game." Please do try to attend one. Wrigley Field is great. PM me whilst you're in Chicago if you like and I'll buy you a pint.

Re: overnight options: here is a fun + economical alternative to ATL (dull) and BOS (expensive). Fly to JFK late and take that onward AA flight out of LGA the next morning. For your layover, take an Uber from JFK to the Asian district in Flushing, on LGA's doorstep, and stay in one of the Asian independent hotels around the 7 subway line terminus. Example:

Asiatic Hotel

It will cost very little and they will give you dim sum for breakfast. It will feel as if you're halfway to Hong Kong. And when ready to move on to LGA, you can walk two blocks (from that hotel anyway) and pick up the frequent-running Q48 bus to LaGuardia. It runs on mostly residential streets, so beats rush hour traffic:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...ns/q048cur.pdf

For your consideration
20Rothmans and thunderlounge like this.
BearX220 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 2:30 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,541
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
We would say Cubs "game." Please do try to attend one. Wrigley Field is great. PM me whilst you're in Chicago if you like and I'll buy you a pint.

Re: overnight options: here is a fun + economical alternative to ATL (dull) and BOS (expensive). Fly to JFK late and take that onward AA flight out of LGA the next morning. For your layover, take an Uber from JFK to the Asian district in Flushing, on LGA's doorstep, and stay in one of the Asian independent hotels around the 7 subway line terminus. Example:

Asiatic Hotel

It will cost very little and they will give you dim sum for breakfast. It will feel as if you're halfway to Hong Kong. And when ready to move on to LGA, you can walk two blocks (from that hotel anyway) and pick up the frequent-running Q48 bus to LaGuardia. It runs on mostly residential streets, so beats rush hour traffic:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...ns/q048cur.pdf

For your consideration
Great idea, Iíll look into it!

Iíve also just realised that I could use my AA vouchers to purchase an onward flight to ORD from another destination (I donít fancy doing a TP run during the short break)
ringingup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 3:01 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: near to SFO and LHR
Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, B6, VX, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Posts: 2,033
Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
£1700 is R/T in F price?

Holy [expletive] we get shafted going the opposite direction.
Yes "we" do!
thunderlounge likes this.
StingWest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 3:05 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: near to SFO and LHR
Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, B6, VX, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Posts: 2,033
I notice your second option provides an almost 4-hour layover in BOS. If you choose this one, you might consider an Uber (or even a water taxi, if running) over to Faneuil Hall market and have a Maine lobster lunch! (or at least a lobster roll at Legal Seafood's airport locations)
StingWest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:29 pm
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,541
Iíve booked it! In the ends Iím going via JFK both ways because the schedule suited me better. Out of LGA to ORD on the outbound though.

Iím very excited! First Cubs game for me and £1,700 all in First is not bad! Iíll have to add the cost of a return flight to INV (probably going to book in CE because I need TPs) and of the hotel at LGA, but considering accommodation in Chicago will be free, itís not too bad!
BearX220 and thunderlounge like this.
ringingup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:15 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 924
This thread kinda makes me want to go to Wrigley again.
thunderlounge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 18, 3:19 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
changing to AA at JFK would get you access (by dint of your BA Gold / OW Emerald status) to the AA Flagship check-on
Thanks for that little gem! I didn't realise access had changed as the last time I went through the Flagship check in it was only for Transcon / International First passengers and there was someone checking your name off a list!

I've a LAX-LAS flight in J coming up in a few weeks time, I'll give the Flagship check in a go
Lucanesque is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 18, 3:33 am
  #29  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,541
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
changing to AA at JFK would get you access (by dint of your BA Gold / OW Emerald status) to the AA Flagship check-on and Lounge which makes the transfer a little less painful

I'd say that was a pretty good price. I'm doing an ex-INV to Chicago via JFK in April in J for £1350.
Well, Iíll be giving this a miss this time as Iíll be flying out of LGA in the morning. However, last time I was in T8 I went to the flagship check-in. The agent was happy to print my boarding passes, but she said I had to go out and clear security via the normal fast track anyway because the flagship security is TSA precheck only? I thought it made no sense at all!
ringingup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:48 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Posts: 8,766
That seems a bit daft to me. What I've seen on the AA board here is that you (we!) get - and I'm basing this on being BA Gold so OW Emerald -

An expedited security line, offering you premium access through security checkpoints
All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD (master thread)

And from the AA website

Experience our private check-in with access to an expedited security line

It also means on your return you can use it at ORD too. - Which is also my plan when I return to the UK via CLT.

When are you actually in ORD? Perhaps a mini meet up with @BearX220

I've previously done the Wrigley field tour and enjoyed it and I'm not a baseball fan and this was before the recent refurbishment .
BearX220 likes this.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: