Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Plane/service info requested for] BA185 LHR - EWR

Old Mar 21, 18, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

new to the forum so wanted to apologise if I have posted in wrong section in advance. The missus and I are travelling to New York in may for a 9 night vacation which will include us tying the knot during our stay.

We are excited to be using our national carrier for the first time and wanted to know more about the flight, the standard of plane etc etc, from what i know BA185 is a triple 7 - 200 or 300. We hope the plane is fairly modern inside and the seat back entertainment is decent. Its a fairly mundane question i know but very interested to see what its like, thank you
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Welcome! Which cabin (ie. economy, business etc.) are you travelling in?
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:14 am
Original Poster

hi there thanks,

We will be travelling Economy, can't really afford to travel in a higher class
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Daveuk83 View Post
hi there thanks,

BA can, and do, change the operating aircraft right up to the last minute, so it'd be hard to give you an exact prediction but, yes, 777-200(ER) is most likely going by the recent data on The BA Source. It's been a while since I last flew on a BA777, but you could get anything from a 2010-era cabin right back to a 2000 vintage cabin. The 2010 cabins are pleasant enough, with decent Thales video screens and a wide variety of on-demand films (new releases and old favourites). I'm less familiar with the 2000-era WT cabins but you'll be looking at a more tired cabin, with seats that have taken a fair bit of wear and tear, and video screens that most definitely betray their age. You're probably best off packing an iPad and a good book whatever, just to be on the safe side.

Other people will, I'm sure, be along soon to provide more detailed advice on the cabins and the catering.

You've chosen a great city in which to get married. Congratulations!
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Daveuk83 and welcome to the BA forum. And congratulations for the future event in New York too,

As noted the 777-200 is a bit of lottery, so if you get the opportunity to switch to a refurbished 747 to JFK (e.g. if BA changes the flight times) then I would do so. But if you are on a 777-300 then that's a good option, the IFE is the Thales system which is a reasonable offering. They have also improved the catering in World Traveller so you won't leave the aircraft hungry.
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: BA SILVER (temp..)
Hang around here Dave and you'll be flyting in a higher cabin - for not much more in no time

All the best and good luck for the big day
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I have been contemplating asking for a cheeky upgrade when we come to check in, haha don;t ask don't get
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Hang around here Dave and you'll be flyting in a higher cabin - for not much more in no time

All the best and good luck for the big day
ooooooooo sounds intriguing i like the sound of that
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:14 am

ooooooooo sounds intriguing i like the sound of that
You'll be debating the relative merits of ex-DUB vs ex-INV before you know it
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the kind words on our marriage, NYC is an amazing place been once before and i proposed on the Brooklyn Bridge.

ex-dub and ex-inv ...??? aviation jargon
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:38 am

Thank you for the kind words on our marriage, NYC is an amazing place been once before and i proposed on the Brooklyn Bridge.

FlyerTalk jargon. Put simply: "beginning a journey in Dublin" and "beginning a journey in Inverness". Two of the ways into higher cabins for less money. The longer you stick around the more you'll get the hang of it

To get you started, there's a BA FlyerTalk glossary here: BA Forum Glossary and more info on starting journeys at outstations here Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Daveuk83 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:42 am

Just so NO. This upgrade malarky is like crack...
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:47 am

And never mind the IFE with your future wife beside you. You have more important things to keep you occupied. Congratulations
wrp96, frank_poulankh and Daveuk83 like this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold
Depending on how flush you are feeling on the day of your flight, you could see if you can do an AUP (Airport Upgrade) at check in. This thread will tell you all about it, but basically it costs around 250 to upgrade to WTP, and 650ish to go up to CW Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2018 thread

If this is something that you're interested in doing then don't queue up to check in, head over to where the First Wing is (far right hand side of T5 as you look at it), just to the left of the First Wing are a couple of customer service desks that do ticketing, there's never usually a queue
frank_poulankh and Daveuk83 like this.
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:14 am
Original Poster

very excited to travel on BA for the first time and flying from LHR for the first time too!

Search this Thread