BA 767, what route?

Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Mackle
So which plane will be doing the LHR-FRA runs in future?
320s/321s.

If there is any significant cargo requirement on FRA, then possibly a daily 777/78x to service that as well.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Someone in BA management suggested to me that it may lead to more use, tactically, of longhaul aircraft from time to time on routes such as MAD, ARN, ZRH, GVA and domestically. They are looking at ways of doing what Cathay do to slip a shorthaul trip between longhauls. That kind of happens already occasionally, but I doubt it will form a significant part of the schedule in the medium term. 767s were also good for cargo movements.
My understanding is also that a plane's overall lifespan is also greatly influenced by pressurisation cycles. I wouldn't expect BA to be doing what you suggest too intensely with their high-value wide-bodies unless it really made commercial sense. On the up-side for us as travellers though, it would mean a higher rate of new aircraft being needed :-)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Mackle
So which plane will be doing the LHR-FRA runs in future?
320s 320neos and 321s
Mackle likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I love flying on the 767, but with condition BA are leaving them in, its best to send them out to pasture. Both occasions in the last few months I have been on a 767, in ET & CE, the interior of the aircraft have been a terrible state of disrepair and on one flight the left side engine, sounded under immense strain when ascending to cruising altitude.

ill miss flying on them, but at the same time, they are overdue retirement.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by mjh0
320s/321s.

If there is any significant cargo requirement on FRA, then possibly a daily 777/78x to service that as well.

Maybe a cargo requirement is why there seems to be a daily 767 on that route at the moment? Certainly when I've sent mail from Frankfurt to addresses in the UK, I've tracked it through Heathrow so would presumably have taken a FRA-LHR route.

I guess it makes sense to introduce 320/321s on that route in place of the 319s because it's a pretty busy route but the 767 feels too big for that short a flight. I think Lufthansa use mostly A321s for the same route as well.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by Jambon87
I love flying on the 767, but with condition BA are leaving them in, it’s best to send them out to pasture. Both occasions in the last few months I have been on a 767, in ET & CE, the interior of the aircraft have been a terrible state of disrepair and on one flight the left side engine, sounded under immense strain when ascending to cruising altitude.

ill miss flying on them, but at the same time, they are overdue retirement.
I know what you mean. Last couple of flights I have been on have had the safety video shown on monitors that didn't work properly so you couldn't see it, and my first 767 FRA-LHR flight of the year had a piece of trim fall off and hit me on the head.

Last edited by Mackle; Mar 21, 2018 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Last flight from LHR-MAD in CE was on a long haul configured 767. Best short haul flight I've ever had.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Last flight from LHR-MAD in CE was on a long haul configured 767. Best short haul flight I've ever had.
CE row 2 (the first window row) always feels like it has loads of leg room. But I do like the little centre tables on the middle seat of the A320 CE flights...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Someone in BA management suggested to me that it may lead to more use, tactically, of longhaul aircraft from time to time on routes such as MAD, ARN, ZRH, GVA and domestically. They are looking at ways of doing what Cathay do to slip a shorthaul trip between longhauls. That kind of happens already occasionally, but I doubt it will form a significant part of the schedule in the medium term. 767s were also good for cargo movements.
Interesting! Any hints on what aircraft types are likely to be used? Can I look forward to a comfortable WT seat on a 744 or 773 on an occasional domestic hop? Or prepare for a cramped 788?

Or is it more a case of whichever long haul aircraft has a fairly lengthy multi-hour stop at LHR and can fit in a quick UK/EU hop between long hauls?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GM1985
Interesting! Any hints on what aircraft types are likely to be used? Can I look forward to a comfortable WT seat on a 744 or 773 on an occasional domestic hop? Or prepare for a cramped 788?

Or is it more a case of whichever long haul aircraft has a fairly lengthy multi-hour stop at LHR and can fit in a quick UK/EU hop between long hauls?
Hopefully, from a EuroTraveller perspective, it won't be the 787 since the seating there is worse than the Airbus shorthaul fleet. It's also not so good on cargo I gather. But unless they do Cathay style programming - which watchful FTers will soon pickup - I suspect it won't follow any pattern other than perhaps a semi-regular rotation like MAD now.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by evanderm
My understanding is also that a plane's overall lifespan is also greatly influenced by pressurisation cycles. I wouldn't expect BA to be doing what you suggest too intensely with their high-value wide-bodies unless it really made commercial sense. On the up-side for us as travellers though, it would mean a higher rate of new aircraft being needed :-)
Can't see that making a significant difference. Most long haul jets will do lucky to average more than 14 pressurisation cycles each week (US might be 2 in 24 hours, Asia overnights 1), whereas a short haul jet will likely be over 40. Squeezing a short haul turn between long haul flights every few days won't make a significant impact on lifespan. C/D checks are dependent on flight hours too IIRC so not impacted by shorthaul.

Anyways, I'd love to see some of the long haul fleet working short haul routes. There's not a huge leap in capacity (particularly with the 4-class birds) over the ever denser Airbii and LH seating would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mwp1
1st out to ams daily and it's return flight home , done it last weekend but outbound was changed to a 321, return was 767.
I did wonder!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:26 am

Given the LGW slot issues, will the next 767 retirement scheduled for July actually go ahead? Or will it be deferred until the end of the summer season?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Given the LGW slot issues, will the next 767 retirement scheduled for July actually go ahead? Or will it be deferred until the end of the summer season?
Under review. 3 of the LGW slots have been leased to QR, not sure for how long but some days in the summer QR are operating 3 x LGW-DOH, which is a huge increase in capacity..Keeping the B767 at LGW for the summer would perhaps allow a couple of A319 to be transferred to LGW and reduce the cross fleet crew training for the summer. I doubt BA will make any announcement so just watch what happens in July.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I'm led to believe that the BA 767 retirement is pretty much carved in stone for the end of this year unless significant money is spent on upgrading some elements of the avionics.

Of course, we've seen BA grant stays of execution before, so the issues with the 787 engines, the additional ex-Monarch slots, potential for supply issues with engines for the 320neo, may be enough of a perfect storm to make spending the money worthwhile, but don't hold your breath.

We're not talking about delaying the retirement of one or two aircraft from a larger fleet, but running down a whole fleet.
florens likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.