Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop ban still in force at AMM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Laptop ban still in force at AMM

Royal Jordanian has long had the laptop/electronics ban lifted on their flights from AMM, but BA still refuse to pay for the extra security there. Every time I fly with BA it's packed in both Y and J, so why can't they cough up the extra dough to give their passengers a better experience??
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Even wierder is that, based on my recent visit, RJ is using racial profiling for secondary screening. As caucasian I was told not to waste my time being screened again and to head straight down to the plane. Heaven knows how little BA would need to spend given how low the bar is set (ie pick out anyone who isn't white and/or on a UK passport, have a quick ruffle around their bag, let them on).

People were getting more security grief at the antiques fair in Chelsea I went to yesterday.

Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I think there must be more to it as from IST, there is a similar security team for TK (who allow laptops/electronics) and BA (who don't). Can't be a dissimilar cost.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:35 am

And CAI too.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:50 am

Came out of BEY this morning.No laptops ipads power banks etc. A number of very pissed off passengers when their Power Banks were binned.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Last month I flew JED-LHR on Saudia. Took laptop on board no problem. Last week flew JED-LHR on BA. Had to check bag in.

Not sure whether it's the airlines or the authorities that are responsible for the disparity but it is annoying.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:02 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I took a whole gang of people, along with a whole gang of laptops, to and from AMM last month on RJ. Laptop ban was not even mentioned.

Lord only knows why BA bans laptops when other carriers do not.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Was on the AMM-LHR RJ flight this morning and had no idea any additional security measures were in place.

Do they have it by the little desk you pass through just before the gate? Just thought it was a lady checking BP's and ticking off a number on a sheet (She ticked off the number 1 from her grid, I'm taking that as a good sign )
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Was on the AMM-LHR RJ flight this morning and had no idea any additional security measures were in place.

Do they have it by the little desk you pass through just before the gate? Just thought it was a lady checking BP's and ticking off a number on a sheet (She ticked off the number 1 from her grid, I'm taking that as a good sign )
I am guessing you're caucasian? See my comment above.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles

I am guessing you're caucasian? See my comment above.
Yes, noted your comment about that.

Was just wondering where the screening was conducted as I didn't notice anything apart from a lady at a little desk.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Yes, noted your comment about that.

Was just wondering where the screening was conducted as I didn't notice anything apart from a lady at a little desk.
That's it. And what is what BA won't pay for!

I'm guessing she is Mossad-trained or something ....
bhbloke likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Unbelievably, when I checked in at AMM last week, the BA check-in agent advised the disgruntled couple in front of me to fly RJ next time, if they didn't want to check-in their laptops. So not only is BA being tight with money, but they're recommending passengers to switch to competitors. I realise the check-in agent probably isn't employed directly by BA, but still...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by seattle29
Unbelievably, when I checked in at AMM last week, the BA check-in agent advised the disgruntled couple in front of me to fly RJ next time, if they didn't want to check-in their laptops.
Sounds like good customer service to me

You do trade away EU compensation rights and, I feel, a certain amount of timeliness, for carrying your laptop and iPad onboard when you take RJ to LHR instead of BA. You also suffer a 9-across 787 in economy.

RJ will still be my choice for a trip there later this year, unless something changes about BA and security.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by seattle29
I realise the check-in agent probably isn't employed directly by BA, but still...
I don't see what's wrong with that. The check-in agent is likely to be employed by a subcontractor. IMO it's very helpful to point out that a competitor flying the same route will allow laptops/tablets in the cabin. Not everyone is up-to-date re: those bans and that couple may have ignored the competition assuming that they would have to comply with the ban too.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:34 pm

The unfortunate thing is not only that BA is too cheap to cover the security costs its competitors cover (meaning BA passengers can’t carry laptops aboard while RJ, ME, TK etc passengers can), but that whoever the bureaucratic busybody in the UK government was who came up with this farcical rule has long since forgotten about it and moved on to other projects, leaving BA passengers holding the bag.
Amygdala28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.