Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

19 March BA57 A380 G-XLEC JNB service returning to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 March BA57 A380 G-XLEC JNB service returning to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
I know that there are folk on here who will understand this much better than I ever could but I recall once reading something about JNB being a "Hot and High" airport and that is one consideration why most of the flights to Europe take off later in the day.
When we go to JNB in a few weeks time we will be travelling on a 747, upperdeck, 2-4-1 reward seats..........happy days!
It was interesting watching the two BA57's on flightradar flying down to JNB yesterday evening, the delayed one from the previous day was leading the way. Just hope that they had extra staff on at JNB to cope with the increased pax.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by redrose59
I know that there are folk on here who will understand this much better than I ever could but I recall once reading something about JNB being a "Hot and High" airport and that is one consideration why most of the flights to Europe take off later in the day.
Yes, there will be payload/performance penalties out of JNB due to the density altitude - the "hot and high" that you refer to - that would impact trying to depart on a long haul flight in the middle of the day.

Couple that with useful aircraft utilisation, the minimal time zone difference, and the length of flight, that's why aircraft from Europe tend to sit all day in South Africa before flying back. For example, if you turned an aircraft arriving at 0630 in JNB and sent it back to the UK at say 0900/0930, it would still not arrive back in the UK until 1900/2000 (depending on time of year), and that's quite late to make the evening bank of connections elsewhere. The aircraft is also limited on what/where it can fly next, if you assume it needs 3 hours to be turned at home base, so likelihood is that it will overnight in the UK instead.

So, however you slice it, it's spending 12 hours on the tarmac somewhere, it's whether it's in the UK (arguably it could usefully receive base maintenance overnight), or downroute, but with much wider connecting flight options on arrival at London.
redrose59 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
It seems like the JNB situation is similar to what AA (and other US airlines?) does with flights between NYC and GIG/GRU. Plane sits on ground all day in South America and flies overnight back to New York. Similarly long flight (although more like 10 not quite 12 hours!) and minimal time difference.

But interestingly I wonder: in 2008 I flew CPT-LHR departing in the early morning (8am?). Has that flight been cancelled since then?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by ccurran88
SAA use their A340s to do a few laps from JNB to CPT during the day to reduce the idle time. I guess non-south African airlines can’t do that?
CPT is also not able to handle A380s

​​​​
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Checkin was pretty chaotic at JNB this evening with 3 A380s going out with two having almost identical flight numbers.

it hasn’t been helped by the lounge staff announcing boarding for BA54 and then clarifying it’s BA54 from yesterday as today’s has a 1.5 hour delay.

Will the crew operating today’s flight be doing a same day turnaround?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by GTR56
They will be the crew that didn't fly last night.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GTR56
When we had a 24-hour delay on a BA57 about 18 months ago, that's exactly what happened.

Extrapolating to this week, if the crew that was supposed to be operating BA57/19MAR also operated the delayed flight, then they arrived at JNB on 21MAR at 0708, and will be expecting to operate BA54/21MAR as originally rostered - and the required rest period between those flights may be why BA54/21MAR is delayed this evening.
Originally Posted by mjh0
They will be the crew that didn't fly last night.
The crew that didn't fly last night were probably expecting to operate BA54/20MAR.

Consequently they will probably be operating the delayed flight - the delayed BA54 that's been called first - as planned, but a fraction under 24 hours late.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Another factor would be stand cost time would be cheap as chips compared in CPT/JNB to LHR. Keeping an aircraft on stand for 12hrs for the sake of it at LHR wouldn't be a cheap decision i assume.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know the flight number of the ‘extra’ flight out of Johannesburg this evening?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by bermyandy
Does anyone know the flight number of the ‘extra’ flight out of Johannesburg this evening?
BA54D according to the BA Source.

Pilot37
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Consequently they will probably be operating the delayed flight - the delayed BA54 that's been called first - as planned, but a fraction under 24 hours late.
Ah, yes, see where you're coming from now. Not sure how that works out with rest periods, flight time limitations, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mjh0
Ah, yes, see where you're coming from now. Not sure how that works out with rest periods, flight time limitations, etc.
The crew that was already in JNB would simply have had about 24 hours' extra rest in JNB, about which they would probably have few complaints. Their rest after getting back to London would obviously be curtailed by the same 24 hours, but I suspect it's easier to shuffle rosters etc and cover with standby crew at base.

The cabin crew that was delayed reaching JNB would have had a much harder time. When it happened to us, they said that they hadn't themselves got into bed in their Heathrow hotel until about 3 am. They then had to work all night on the flight that did operate, and then try to sleep as much as they can during their body clock day before in effect immediately working another night shift back to London. They were real troopers and appeared to shrug it off when I offered sympathy, but it seemed like something that they were understandably not looking forward to.

ISTR that the pilots operate to a different schedule on JNB, so the effect on them may not have been quite so severe.

This experience reminded me that on the occasions that a crew turns up for a particular flight looking exhausted and clearly not enjoying what they're doing, there may be some good and understandable reasons for it. We passengers are often quick to pass judgement on individuals on the rather arrogant assumption that we know everything that there is to know in order to form an opinion, when in fact there may be a lot that we don't even know that we don't know. The same goes for short delays like the eventual delay to BA54/21MAR - 84 minutes on departure, 53 minutes on arrival.
flygirl68 and mjh0 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
ISTR that the pilots operate to a different schedule on JNB, so the effect on them may not have been quite so severe.
This is true, the flight crew did not return with the cabin crew.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 8:48 am

Looks like G-XLEC is fixed and is scheduled for the BA57 to Johannesburg tomorrow (12/04/2024).
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:09 am

At least BA55 is now operating the 777, so some hope it will have fewer delays/canx!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.