Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting from AA to BA at JFK T8-T7

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Down the back
Didn't want to start a new thread as a similar question to OP. Is there a guide somewhere (similar to the one in the Wiki here for transferring at LHR) for transferring in JFK from BA to AA (outbound) and for AA to BA (inbound journey) at JFK ? I've tried searching both BA and AA forums without much success.

Thanks

DtB
Not that I have seen. I guess the options are fewer than a T5/LHR connection in that going between T7<->T8 in either direction requires going landside, taking the airtrain in the right direction, and then going through security.

Would it be worth doing a guide? If so what kind of things would you find useful?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by KARFA
Not that I have seen. I guess the options are fewer than a T5/LHR connection in that going between T7<->T8 in either direction requires going landside, taking the airtrain in the right direction, and then going through security.

Would it be worth doing a guide? If so what kind of things would you find useful?
Hi Karfa,

I am doing the OTP-PHX over the Easter weekend (no checked bags), outbound I will be AA from LHR to JFK and then AA to PHX so I guess same terminal,
on the way back however I chose the BA flight from JFK so I will need to change terminals. I have searched the AA thread hoping that someone had already produced
a guide similar to your "a guide to connecting at LHR T5" which I found to be spot on for my needs. I guess I'm looking for any tips on transferring from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 at JFK, I have 3 hours and no checked bags, arriving Sun 31st Mar at 5pm. I have a GC and will be travelling in J class, not clear if I have access to Fast track or even if it is worth using ?

Thanks

DtB
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Karfa,

I am doing the OTP-PHX over the Easter weekend (no checked bags), outbound I will be AA from LHR to JFK and then AA to PHX so I guess same terminal,
on the way back however I chose the BA flight from JFK so I will need to change terminals. I have searched the AA thread hoping that someone had already produced
a guide similar to your "a guide to connecting at LHR T5" which I found to be spot on for my needs. I guess I'm looking for any tips on transferring from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 at JFK, I have 3 hours and no checked bags, arriving Sun 31st Mar at 5pm. I have a GC and will be travelling in J class, not clear if I have access to Fast track or even if it is worth using ?

Thanks

DtB
Assuming that you are arriving at JFK T8 from LHR (rather than DUB which starts again in April I think) there are no shortcuts without Global Entry/TSA Pre. Immigration -> Land side -> Security -> (Lounge - up the stairs/elevator on your left after security) -> Gate.

On the return to T8 follow signs for baggage reclaim/exit - this is down the escalator to the right of the TSA security checkpoint you came through on arrival, once outside the baggage reclaim area turn left and use one of the elevators to go up to the Air Train. Take the Air Train one stop over to T7 (make sure you get the one for "All Airline Terminals") you need to cross the road to enter T7 and then keep left for the "Fast Track", which may or may not be fast on the day.
KARFA and Down the back like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I guess I'm looking for any tips on transferring from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 at JFK, I have 3 hours and no checked bags, arriving Sun 31st Mar at 5pm. I have a GC and will be travelling in J class, not clear if I have access to Fast track or even if it is worth using ?
Yes, you will have access to Fast Track. When you walk out from your AA flight at T8 stay on the departures level, there is a door to the left of the escalator that takes you down to baggage claim. From here go to the far left corner over near where the Flagship Check-In is and you can make your way to the AirTrain. Make sure you get on the correct one and not out to Federal Circle/Howard Beach etc. Follow the signs to First/Club World check-in and you'll see the line for "Fast" Track security just across from them.
KARFA and Down the back like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
or even if it is worth using ?
I've always found it worth using. The queue has always been much shorter than that in the main area. Fighting the slope is also good exercise - you can reward your exertion with an extra glass of something in the lounge afterwards (if you can find a spare seat during the First Lounge closure).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:38 am

Hi Karfa,

Thanks

DtB
Hi Down the back. I was going to reply but both Steve_ZA and Fraser have done so, and I have nothing more to add to their answers.

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments on my guide to connecting at LHR T5 though ^
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond

Hi Karfa, yes a guide would be most useful please, on the transfer process (customs/baggage/transfer etc.). I too have a OTP-PHX, but I'm going the other way from BA to AA at JFK. I presume we clear customs and then have to collect our cases, do we transit them in the terminal we land in (as they will be tagged to PHX) or do we have to take them on the air train to the other terminal and re-check there? In terms of security what are the options, is there a fast track for premium or first class passengers, is there a TSA pre lane? What kind of MCT would you allow to be comfortable and to be able to enjoy the lounge a little? Some of those things would be useful in the guide, thank you.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by skicowboys
Hi Karfa, yes a guide would be most useful please, on the transfer process (customs/baggage/transfer etc.). I too have a OTP-PHX, but I'm going the other way from BA to AA at JFK. I presume we clear customs and then have to collect our cases, do we transit them in the terminal we land in (as they will be tagged to PHX) or do we have to take them on the air train to the other terminal and re-check there? In terms of security what are the options, is there a fast track for premium or first class passengers, is there a TSA pre lane? What kind of MCT would you allow to be comfortable and to be able to enjoy the lounge a little? Some of those things would be useful in the guide, thank you.
Yes so on arrival at JFK T7 you will go through immigration, then collect any checked bags, then go through customs. I think there is a bag drop place after customs in T7 but personally I would just take them over to T8 yourself and check them back in there. When you have got landside in T7 you next head to the airtrain to go to T8 - get the Howard Beach or Jamaica trains.

When you get off at T8 go do bag drop if you brought your bags over, apparently non-AA OWEs can now use the AA flagship check in. As well as that there is a fast track (which I have never found that fast) and a TSA pre check line.

I think MCT for this is 2 hrs. For me that's ok if I wasn't waiting for bags and also have GE so quickly out of T7 and I imagine that would give around 45-60 mins lounge time. Boarding starts at 30 minutes for AA domestic flights and they always seem to leave from a gate on the satellite building so that will take 5-10 minutes to get to from the Flagship lounge in the main building. For check bags and non-GE I might look at around 2.5 hrs for a comfortable connection.
Down the back likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:37 am

When you get off at T8 go do bag drop if you brought your bags over, apparently non-AA OWEs can now use the AA flagship check in. As well as that there is a fast track (which I have never found that fast) and a TSA pre check line.
They definitely can - I've been using it regularly for about 18 months. There is (usually, not always) someone waiting at the exit of the Flagship check-in area who will take you to the front of the TSA Pre line, so skipping anyone (non-Flagship) who is already queuing. I find this a little bit weird, since typically disabled passengers use this line and you're placed in front of them.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Assuming that you are arriving at JFK T8 from LHR (rather than DUB which starts again in April I think) there are no shortcuts without Global Entry/TSA Pre. Immigration -> Land side -> Security -> (Lounge - up the stairs/elevator on your left after security) -> Gate.

On the return to T8 follow signs for baggage reclaim/exit - this is down the escalator to the right of the TSA security checkpoint you came through on arrival, once outside the baggage reclaim area turn left and use one of the elevators to go up to the Air Train. Take the Air Train one stop over to T7 (make sure you get the one for "All Airline Terminals") you need to cross the road to enter T7 and then keep left for the "Fast Track", which may or may not be fast on the day.
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

DtB
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Yes, you will have access to Fast Track. When you walk out from your AA flight at T8 stay on the departures level, there is a door to the left of the escalator that takes you down to baggage claim. From here go to the far left corner over near where the Flagship Check-In is and you can make your way to the AirTrain. Make sure you get on the correct one and not out to Federal Circle/Howard Beach etc. Follow the signs to First/Club World check-in and you'll see the line for "Fast" Track security just across from them.
Thanks Fraser, much appreciated.

DtB
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
, apparently non-AA OWEs can now use the AA flagship check in. As well as that there is a fast track (which I have never found that fast) and a TSA pre check line.
Not only emeralds, but non-AA sapphire, too. The flagship lounge is way nicer than anything in T7, as well. Though I haven't tried the dining menu so can't compare it to CCR which I also have never used.

Don't listen to me

Last edited by LupineChemist; Mar 22, 2018 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Not only emeralds, but non-AA sapphire, too. The flagship lounge is way nicer than anything in T7, as well. Though I haven't tried the dining menu so can't compare it to CCR which I also have never used.
I think you are talking about the lounge? I was talking about flagship check in, the eligibility is OWE but not OWS.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...t-check-in.jsp
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
You're right, I assumed it was the same eligibility. Retracted.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
Yes so on arrival at JFK T7 you will go through immigration, then collect any checked bags, then go through customs. I think there is a bag drop place after customs in T7 but personally I would just take them over to T8 yourself and check them back in there. When you have got landside in T7 you next head to the airtrain to go to T8 - get the Howard Beach or Jamaica trains.

I think MCT for this is 2 hrs. For me that's ok if I wasn't waiting for bags and also have GE so quickly out of T7 and I imagine that would give around 45-60 mins lounge time. Boarding starts at 30 minutes for AA domestic flights and they always seem to leave from a gate on the satellite building so that will take 5-10 minutes to get to from the Flagship lounge in the main building. For check bags and non-GE I might look at around 2.5 hrs for a comfortable connection.
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.