Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon trip in First next week

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
With only 8F seats - I'd pre-order your mains on the outbound. You have the choice to change your mind, but at least you shouldn't be disappointed.
And make sure you ask the crew about it when you board, otherwise they'll give your pre-ordered meal away to someone with more status. (Assuming they've remembered to load it in the first place.)

/BTDT
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A friend of mine working in Ukraine had to offload a passenger who was trying to bring on board live, loose* chickens as hand luggage.
Awful! Chickens as hand baggage should travel in plastic shopping bags. This probably happened as the supermarkets now charge 5p for a bag and people don’t like paying this.
CharlotteC likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I think that after all the excitement of the wedding and so on, which will probably be Amazing, you should have modest expectations of a trip on an aeroplane. How can an aeroplane match a wedding that you've planned for forever?
It probably can't. Where have I said I'm expecting the flight experience to match the wedding itself?

It's only a metal tube in the sky, supported by airflow. Start with low expectations and give someone the chance of exceeding your expectations.
With anything, the journey is just as important (to me) as the destination. I did ask how best to inform BA of the reason for our trip, to give them that chance you describe. Thank you to all for suggesting I talk to the cabin crew. Will do.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starship73
Fingers crossed you avoid a late aircraft change due the current Trent 1000 engine issues. That may well be the most important thing to worry about at this stage...
I've looked at the flight stats history for that flight number over the last 2 weeks and it has been the B787 plane every time, so hopefully it stays that way!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringingup
A couple of weeks in advance is definitely too late.
Agreed - only attempted the spa booking for the first time this week and no pre-bookings available. The BA You First web site states bookings open 28 days in advance of departure day.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
It's quite random IME... I've rang up 28 days out and nothing has been available. I rang a week before my last trip to SIN and had a choice of slots
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelwithross
What hotel are you staying in - in Abu Dhabi?
Doending on your answer you’ll probably find you’ll be more fussed over here in Abu Dhabi than with BA in the air.
Emirates Palace. It was booked through BA as well, which from experience means the hotel does not do too much extra given it's not a direct booking. I'm about to message them now anyway to confirm the airport pick-up transfer so will mention our occasion then.

Let me me know if you want any recommendations for good dinner or date places. Lived here for 2 years and we are newlyweds as well.
Go for it! The hotel looks/sounds huge, so may not even need to leave there! Thanks

Last edited by ohit; Mar 21, 2018 at 3:46 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

I hope they got some kind of recognition.​​
This reminds me - are the BA Golden Ticket's still valid? I have at least 1 in my travel wallet, and finding someone who deserves it on this trip might be the time to finally use it.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebigben
Well, first class just becomes glorified business class.
In BA's case - probably yes.
Many have said that even Business Class by Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, SingAir, many others, etc. make BA First look silly.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ohit
This reminds me - are the BA Golden Ticket's still valid? I have at least 1 in my travel wallet, and finding someone who deserves it on this trip might be the time to finally use it.
Yes
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:11 am

Emirates Palace. It was booked through BA as well, which from experience means the hotel does not do too much extra given it's not a direct booking. I'm about to message them now anyway to confirm the airport pick-up transfer so will mention our occasion then.
Go for it! The hotel looks/sounds huge, so may not even need to leave there! Thanks
I was at the Emirates Palace for brunch last Friday (but was staying at the Marriott). It's a magnificent hotel, and colossal; there are plenty of dining and drinking options, but it's always good to head out into town. I would, though, strongly recommend the brunch - excellent quality, and importantly endless.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ABax
I was at the Emirates Palace for brunch last Friday (but was staying at the Marriott). It's a magnificent hotel, and colossal; there are plenty of dining and drinking options, but it's always good to head out into town. I would, though, strongly recommend the brunch - excellent quality, and importantly endless.
Hakkasan (one of their restaurants - Chinese) is worth a visit as well. Don' bother with Marina Mall which is your closest. It' taken a nose dive since Yas Mall opened.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
In BA's case - probably yes.
Many have said that even Business Class by Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, SingAir, many others, etc. make BA First look silly.
Having done both I totally agree and spend my $ accordingly.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Not CX or SQ J, as far as I'm concerned. They're fairly ordinary even for J, and certainly SQ J has major issues with reclining because of the way the bed is set up.

I'm happy with SQ Suite but not with J. It's something I put up with flying as my nearest airport is not served by SQ with F-equipped aircraft and I cannot always take an extra leg to avoid flying J. I'm happy with CX F but only semi-OK with CX J.

I haven't flown with ME carriers lately so I cannot comment on them.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:40 pm

I think an aspect of this is what you value. Is it the hard product, food, service, exclusivity of cabin etc.

Personally, I feel QR J is at least equal to BA F in terms of staf ratio/attentiveness, size of seat, and does dine on demand properly with an abundance of food. However, some of the planes (777) have very exposed seats and can have large cabins.

What BA first offers to me (and I must admit i speak as a rare occupant) is a smaller cabin, with more collegiate feel and a nice "feel". Certainly I've always enjoyed it!
​​​​​​

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.