Wiki Posts
Search

CW squatters?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
CW squatters?

On a recent flight from MIA to LHR in CW I was seated in an aisle seat. As we took off, the seat to my right and two additional seats within my eyesight were empty. As I was woken up by pre-landing operations, I noticed all those seats were occupied!

I was wondering whether someone was simply moved there from the back of the place due to some sort of issues or if there is actually the possibility of squatters sneaking in during the night in CW.

Did a similar situation happen to any of you?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m guessing that they were moved by the crew nearer to the door as they had a tight connection, this is a common procedure.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
How long into the flight does a self upgrader become a squatter ?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m guessing that they were moved by the crew nearer to the door as they had a tight connection, this is a common procedure.
mm I thought that as well but we were 10 min ahead of schedule....
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but we can still have customers who have shorter connection that can use the extra time.
Dambus and ysolde like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
I had a tight connection at JFK recently and was kindly moved up from the back of the Hi J main deck cabin to the front of the CW cabin. The looks of venom I took from everyone in the mini front cabin
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
10 years ago I was flying Gulf Air BAH CAI - I was sat in the last row of business class, a window seat with the adjacent aisle seat empty. During the flight I went to the toilet, I can’t have been away from my seat for more than three minutes. When I returned I found two women occupying my seat and the one next to it - they had decided to self-upgrade from economy!

They were quickly ushered back to their original seats by cabin crew, but I still remember the incident vividly - it’s not something I had encountered ever before or since.
nufnuf77, Sealink, MaximeD and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:34 am

Not that this happens often, but last year I was on a flight from CPT in CW. There were about 5 empty seats, and after take off, I saw the cabin crew bring 5 passengers forward into these seats from WT. I didn't think much of it, but after overhearing them talk to the cabin crew, it turns out they were staff passengers. Maybe they were entitled to those seats, but it seemed odd that they were upgraded on board rather than given the seats from the start.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It can happen,

I have seen someone whose PE seat would not go back into an upright position be moved into CW for landing. Couldn't help thinking it was those of us on the row behind that should have been moved

Earlier in the flight it may be that someone in ET / PE or even elsewhere in CW has a broken seat on non operational IFE so decisions are made to move people around.

On a flight from JNB to LHR I had crew sitting in the CW seat next to me as we boarded. She had worked a previous outbound but then gone sick and had to stay in JNB. Once boarding was completed some crew member asked her to move up to first and then another PAX was moved into her now vacant CW seat.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jonas123
Not that this happens often, but last year I was on a flight from CPT in CW. There were about 5 empty seats, and after take off, I saw the cabin crew bring 5 passengers forward into these seats from WT. I didn't think much of it, but after overhearing them talk to the cabin crew, it turns out they were staff passengers. Maybe they were entitled to those seats, but it seemed odd that they were upgraded on board rather than given the seats from the start.
Similar thing happened on our AZ FCO-EZE flight. The J cabin which was half empty ended up being full after a bunch of nattering women known to the crew invaded it from the back.It was an enjoyable flight nonetheless.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonas123
They were moved in preparation for landing.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:47 am

They were moved in preparation for landing.
If that was the case, not sure why they had to be moved just after take off???
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who said they were moved after takeoff?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:02 am

Who said they were moved after takeoff?
Me as I was sitting in front of them and saw it happen!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Mrs E2S cousin, on a flight back from CPT in December was moved from a middle WT seat to the UD by a member of the crew, shortly before take off. He was asked if he would give up his seat so to elderly people could be seated together. He got the full service and thoroughly enjoyed it. He had only joined the BA Exec for the outbound flight
Sealink and ysolde like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.