Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-Eu cannot get to AMS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My heart hopes for the best with the OP but my head fears for the worst. I'd have made every effort to get to AMS unless I saw MMB update with the journey beginning from LHR.

I have an ex-EU beginning next week, I've booked a fully flex Eurostar ticket to get me to BRU as backup in case my early morning flight the previous day is cancelled. Agree with richardwft, you need a Plan B and more, leaving yourself in the hands of BA is tempting fate a step too far in my opinion.
GLA likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
I hope everything worked out OK.

This makes me think generally how much more flexibility there is with the likes of AMS, BRU for ex-EU with more back-up plan options in the event things don't go to plan. That is compared to ARN, OSL and particularly HEL (which all seem very common QR starting points). Luckily I've only had one cancellation to get me to an ex-EU, luckily I'd left enough slack and it was BRU.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I booked two exINV for this summer, have to say, I find the whole thing exhausting. Did one in February. I even go up a few days before to see family.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 19, 2018 at 8:31 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
I booked two exINV for this summer, have to say, I find the whole thing exhausting. I even go up a few days before to see family.
I have done a few ex-EU (not many) at the start of a holiday. There is one element I've consinstenly enjoyed: spending a night/morning in a European city as a way to start unwinding in preparation for a longer journey to the final destination. Once we even built in a long stopover in DC in the middle of the trip, which was great.

Obviously it does not suit everyone nor it's always possible. However, it's something that we say we would do again, should we have the opportunity.

On the other hand, I find back-to-backs quite stressful!

Last edited by ringingup; Mar 19, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
I have done a few ex-EU (not many) at the start of a holiday. There is one element I've consinstenly enjoyed: spending a night/morning in a European city as a way to start unwinding in preparation for a longer journey to the final destination. Once we even built in a long stopover in DC in the middle of the trip, which was great.

Obviously it does not suit everyone nor it's always possible. However, it's something that we say we would do again, should we have the opportunity.

On the other hands, I find back-to-backs quite stressful!
The prices from INV are irresistible though!
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft
Ex eu is only worth bothering with if you have Plans B, C & D.
Flying out the night before an ex-EU is good practice - flying from one's home airport is also understandable. And with the large margin for error the OP had time to seek advice and to sort things out. All ^ to the OP.

Your point is rather unnecessary since you can easily get stuck in snow, public transport problems, flat tyre, etc. trying to get to Heathrow from anywhere in the South.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I've done a few ex-EU trips now, from DUB (don't like), and SVG (loved, but sadly gone). SVG was excellent for a B2B, I've not found an alternative that is as easy and with enough of a saving to make it worth it.

I've looked at ex-INV, but seem to recall lots of problems for people when the bad weather hit. As others have said, having a plan B, C, and D in place is critical if you've spent thousands on a flight you might not be able to join.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the comments and help. Certainly I would now advocate a plan B and C although I had thought I had that covered by flying over the night before for a 11-30am return.

I am silver but by the time I was off the cancelled flight last night the executive club call centre was closed. I therefore tweeted BA and just asked what my options were.

Inside half an hour and an exchange of DMs I was talking to an agent who because of the special circumstances amended my booking so that I could go straight to LHR and check in today.

I recognised how unusal and lucky that that was but thought I had better not count my chickens at that stage.

I am now airside at T5 all checked in and ready to go.

If you are around I am the person with the silly grin on his face who is trying to find a lottery ticket to buy.

So so thanks again.

The result is one happy customer who will stay loyal and not try Qatar next time!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Amazed they let you start your ex-EU from LHR without re-ticketing etc. What a great outcome!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Wow they let you drop the first AMS-LHR leg? That sounds amazing. Is that common?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Wow they let you drop the first AMS-LHR leg? That sounds amazing. Is that common?
No, otherwise we would all be doing it.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by benjai
No, but it isn't the first time that this has been reported to be allowed and I'll bet it won't be the last time. When there are genuinely exceptional circumstances - and the widespread disruption this weekend probably counts - then BA has been known to show flexibility of this kind. We should not expect it if we oversleep on a fine summer's day or if our cab gets stuck in a traffic jam on the M4 - or for that matter we should not expect it, ever, even though it does sometimes happen.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I'd say there's reasonable grounds for BA to be accommodating given the extent of the weather-related disruption. The airlines ask for a lot of flexibility, patience and understanding from us SLF in these circumstances, so it's reassuring to hear that someone has found this to be a two-way street.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What a great outcome! Enjoy your trip
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Great outcome. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.