Wiki Posts
Search

787-900 operational change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This was a US airline approach. But it was not better for profits, because what it drove was (if anything) further business in the lower cabin, when what the airline wants is paid business in the higher cabin.

You continue to see the difference in BA's current approach to operational upgrades when the lower cabin turns out to have been oversold. Higher tier frequent flyers do not necessarily get the free upgrades; the airline does not want its regular customers to get used to being able to pay a much cheaper fare yet still expect to sit in the more comfortable cabin. The lesson is that if you want to be sure of sitting in the premium cabin, you must pay for it. Some of the infrequent customers who are given these freebie upgrades instead may come to do exactly that - hence the reports of non-members and Blues getting op-ups ahead of Golds and Silvers.

You can also see this in the limits that seem to be applied to the use of promotional airport upgrades. Even if available, you may not be allowed to buy one if you've been buying too many of them. Again, the lesson is that you cannot expect to get an upgrade on the cheap.

Complaints about this sometimes have an underlying subtext of "I'm Gold, so I deserve to be given a seat in a better cabin because I'm such a good customer of the airline's." Leaving aside the difficulties with the last few words of that (as a BA Gold might have barely set foot on a BA aircraft), that sentence illustrates precisely why the airline doesn't want to do it.
this comes to mind for some reason

psollitt likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Someone might correct me but I believe they are correctly known as 787-8 / 787-9 and coming soon 787-10. Not in the hundreds for the Dreamliner.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Correct but we are not pedantic here.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Correct but we are not pedantic here.
haha - may as well use the correct terminology ? Right ? 😜
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Don’t at your peril.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by joejet
So book some fully refundable club seats,

once club is full, book yourself into first , then refund the CW seats.

simple
No, not so simple at all. BA would just move you back to club.

That's even if they opened the F cabin for seat selection for you in the first place - they only open FLUB relatively late in the day and it appears from other reports on here that it's only for selected passengers such as golds (OP is silver)

And BA would also likely spot the double bookings and cancel one of them anyway after a call "Hello Mr Joejet BA here you appear to have duplicate bookings on one of our flights perhaps one should be cancelled?"

And not that many people could afford to have the cost of a couple of fully refundable tickets tied up in the circle of hell Dante didn't write about - the BA refunds department.

I recall a couple in the US tried something similar with one of the US airlines to manipulate seating / upgrades. It did not end well for them.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Someone might correct me but I believe they are correctly known as 787-8 / 787-9 and coming soon 787-10. Not in the hundreds for the Dreamliner.
Am I the only one who flat out refuses to use the expression ‘Dreamliner’? It sounds so pretentious.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Am I the only one who flat out refuses to use the expression ‘Dreamliner’? It sounds so pretentious.
I like that name! Though one of my ignorant colleagues on several trips I helped him book would always ask ‘am I on the dreamweaver?’
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I can affirm that BA don't upgrade higher teir members of BAEC of the many BA flights over the years I have only 1 when there was a higher cabin available and that was when I was a Blue on my first flight on BA after deserting VA.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by sts603

And another fine moment for BA
shocking behaviour! passenger travels in cabin and seat in which they booked.

alas not so fine a moment for some people with an exaggerated view of their own importance.

David_Doyle and CharlotteC like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Since I first travelled extensively in long haul, (1989) BA left premium seats empty. Unlike the USA based airlines, they have not, generally, sought to fill up the front of the plane.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

I like that name! Though one of my ignorant colleagues on several trips I helped him book would always ask ‘am I on the dreamweaver?’
rip macromedia. Not that I ever liked dreamweaver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.