Search

Stockholm (ARN) connection with luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various memberships
Stockholm (ARN) connection with luggage

Hi All

Getting a bit twitchy about a connection in ARN tomorrow - flight today delayed by an hour.

Due to fly in on BA (Terminal 2) with checked luggage. Scheduled arrival 14:10
Departing on QR (Terminal 5) at 16:45

As BA no longer interline baggage we will have to collect and drop again (checked in online for QR flight).

I am assuming I will need to exit customs / immigration after collecting the bags and then go to T5.

Is this correct or can I collect bags and transfer air side?

As this is Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen I believe we still have to do security and immigration again regardless.

Thanks in advance

TE
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Hi All

Getting a bit twitchy about a connection in ARN tomorrow - flight today delayed by an hour.

Due to fly in on BA (Terminal 2) with checked luggage. Scheduled arrival 14:10
Departing on QR (Terminal 5) at 16:45

As BA no longer interline baggage we will have to collect and drop again (checked in online for QR flight).

I am assuming I will need to exit customs / immigration after collecting the bags and then go to T5.

Is this correct or can I collect bags and transfer air side?

As this is Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen I believe we still have to do security and immigration again regardless.

Thanks in advance

TE
If you do a search (or just look down the thread list) you'll find a thread (on interlining bags between BA and QR via ARN) with almost exactly the same questions as yours from as recently as yesterday (plus a few others) with a lot more details which might be of interest to you. Yes, all of your assumptions above are correct, except that technically you do not have a connection, which also means that you are bearing the entire risk should your BA flight be cancelled or delay which, given the current weather is more than a remote possibility.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you do a search (or just look down the thread list) you'll find a thread (on interlining bags between BA and QR via ARN) with almost exactly the same questions as yours from as recently as yesterday (plus a few others) with a lot more details which might be of interest to you. Yes, all of your assumptions above are correct, except that technically you do not have a connection, which also means that you are bearing the entire risk should your BA flight be cancelled or delay which, given the current weather is more than a remote possibility.
Completely understand and accept that the risk is all mine.

The snow is why I am getting twitchy!

Thanks will look for other thread.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Good luck to you! I might be making some contingency planning in your case, including arriving tonight or having an early morning flight tomorrow...
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given the weather, the transfer between tickets is the much greater risk. As OP is not connecting at ARN, but simply beginning a new journey there, depending on his fare basis, he risks losing the entire value of his onward ticket for a delay which is entirely forseeable given the weather situation. I would strongly recommend the overnight at ARN.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Message Deleted.
WickedStepMother likes this.

Last edited by Fontana; Mar 18, 2018 at 9:38 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fontana
See your flight landed 27 min late from its scheduled arrival. So, you'll have sufficient time to check-in for your QR flight
OP is flying tomorrow...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
OP is flying tomorrow...
Weather permitting!

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
OP is flying tomorrow...
Doh! (facepalm!) Will delete my reply!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Weather permitting!

im taking you have a plus fare. If so any chance of getting to LHR early. Not wanting to cause undue alarm the BA779 tomorrow back to Heathrow is posting a 10 mins delay and this is going to be using your aircraft although your flight is still showing as being on time so I am wondering if this is as a result of tonight’s later departure of the night stopper and crew rest.

Good of luck and safe travels
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
One possible strategy would be to max out on the carry on allowance and try to avoid checked bags. You can always buy additional things locally and check them in on the return.

My strategy during the last snow warning was to move everything I could forward as far as possible using the "free change" facility that was set up by BA, though I had a buffer of more than 24 hours anyway before my QR ticket started. So as others have stated, use any flexibility you can to get on earlier flights - this is true with or without checked bags I think.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Landed 14:15... only 5 minutes late
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Hopefully you make this. Just to note, I managed to get QR to inter-line all the way from MEL-LHR on separate tickets on the way back which made the experience much more pleasant and allowed me an airside transfer at ARN.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:42 am
Original Poster

So now for the conclusion to this nail biting adventure (in the hope it will help others in the future).

Arrived 5 minutes late as noted and got off a rather full 767. We were in a Y exit row seat so had a wait to get off the plane, climb some steps and then stand in a queue in a narrow corridor which slowly shuffled forwards. Got to the end of the corridor to discover, as expected it was immigration with only 2 desks open and one of them having computer problems,

Cleared immigration and went to baggage reclaim where the bags appeared after no more than 5 minutes.

One of our party then went outside to smoke. We didn't realise they have "smoking boxes" in the airport at various points.

Went downstairs and took the train to T5. It arrived as we did which was good but I had to ask someone if it was the correct train (i.e. not the one to the city) as I couldn't see any signs.

Dropped the bags with QR and went through security. Had enough time for a quick drink in the mediocre contract lounge (first world problem I know).

If you exclude the smoking and lounge time then I reckon an hour in total from plane door to plane door.

Thanks again for the replies / info.
TE
TFFT and Tobias-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.