Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Sorry, we cannot complete online check-in for your flight on this occasion"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sorry, we cannot complete online check-in for your flight on this occasion"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:20 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I think you may be overthinking it. One or both of us regularly cant do OLCI on both 2 for 1 and revenue flights- they never say why- just security random checks .
They never tell you the real reason, which is probably the one I suspect above. The so-called "security checks" are implausible. Everyone goes through security and everyone has their passport checked at the gate (and often at bag drop too).
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by NFH
That’s irrelevant because it’s not published by BA. Anything that BA published on its web site forms a contractual term under Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Therefore if online checkin is refused, then BA is in breach of contract.
Without even looking into the actual contractual terms published by BA, I'm pretty sure that there will be a clause saying that OLCI cannot be guaranteed.

Originally Posted by NFH
They never tell you the real reason, which is probably the one I suspect above. The so-called "security checks" are implausible. Everyone goes through security and everyone has their passport checked at the gate (and often at bag drop too).
Again. There's no conspiracy going on. If this infuriates you to such a degree, then prebook seats. Infinitely worse are the airlines that take your paid seats or even change your seats after PYOBP/OLCI. The latter has happen to me a couple of times and the reason was very clear: Someone too lazy to do the OLCI nagged the check-in agent so long to get two seats next to each other that the CI agent'd move me to completely different row (often a middle seat) to accommodate said passenger).

PS: I'm somewhat surprised you haven't done any status match. AB Gold should have landed you on ruby/sapphire with another OW carrier. That in turn would have avoided the dilemma.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:25 pm

Sigh.... All I can say is that I am sorry for the customer service people who must deal with this today.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by NFH
The duty manager came to the checkin desks and promised to do her best to sort it out. I see on the app that she subsequently moved us to D and E seats together. I am awaiting her call on my Brazilian mobile number as to why online checkin was refused, because she also promised to look at how other passengers had selected their seats, i.e. paid or status. If I don't find out, I'll ask some other passengers myself; two are already displeased about having their paid-for chosen seats changed against their will.

I suspect that, being on Avios 2-4-1, we had been earmarked for downgrade in the event that the flight became oversold, and that BA refused online checkin to us in order to keep its options open. This refusal is nevertheless a breach of a contractual term formed under Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
I'm going to have a wild stab in the dark that you aren't a lawyer. Honestly, the attitude in your posts is unnecessarily confrontational and your misunderstanding of your statutory protections/rights as a consumer doesn't make you look smart. Quite the opposite. As others have said above, if precisely where you sit in the cabin matters to you then BA offers the ability to pay to ensure you have your desired seat. Your decision not to pay does not amount to BA's wrongdoing.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NFH
You've never been 'lucky' enough to draw the SSSS card for inbound flights to the USA then, I take it. That will screw up OLCI in many a case.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Originally Posted by NFH
That’s irrelevant because it’s not published by BA. Anything that BA published on its web site forms a contractual term under Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Therefore if online checkin is refused, then BA is in breach of contract.
Without even looking into the actual contractual terms published by BA, I'm pretty sure that there will be a clause saying that OLCI cannot be guaranteed.
IANAE, but I would be extremely surprised if this were the case. I'd be faintly surprised if the ability to OLCI is a contractual term at all; I'd be more surprised if any OLCI failure is a breach of contract.

That thread may not be published by BA, but it is relevant. You have to look at all of this with a degree of real-world realism, not simply through the eyes of someone who believes that they have been wronged. If every OLCI failure (including the huge number reported in that thread) is a breach of contract (as you seem to suggest), then the substantial number of OLCI failures - some causing real hassle, inconvenience and occasionally expense - would render BA liable to a huge number of actions for breach of contract.

Yet there aren't any. I very much doubt that this is because you're the first person to have been clever enough to think of the possibility.
Originally Posted by NFH
If you think that this is all that security involves, then you clearly don't have a particularly detailed knowledge of all of the aspects of flying that would come under the heading of "security", including SSSS as beachmouse has just mentioned.
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Honestly, the attitude in your posts is unnecessarily confrontational and your misunderstanding of your statutory protections/rights as a consumer doesn't make you look smart. Quite the opposite.
I suspect that the underlying story here may be another instance of the common mismatch between the passenger's view and the airline's view of the passenger's importance to the airline, and the consequent fallout when something goes awry. A large proportion of the incidents in this thread stem from the same thing (and I notice from the search that I've just done that many airlines seem to suffer the same phenomenon). If the OP is a frequent BA passenger (and it's not clear whether or not that's the case), they will have seen a lot of "stuff" happening over the years. "Stuff" happens, including OLCI failures; sometimes one just has to get over it.
cbagent and WorldLux like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Ultimately, I simply do not understand why BA charge to select seats when people have paid fares like this. The fares are high enough without seat selection on top of that. Whilst I do sympathise with the OP as it causes nothing but trouble all round when this situation arises. I am not getting into the quai-legal side of all this as I am no expert.

We get this so often "will you swap with my whoever" - and the answer usually offends.
mjh0 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From the Theoretical Seating thread we know that the seating algorithm for all unallocated seating is fully recalculated automatically after every check-in
So if N people need to check in and only N-1 seats are not blocked the passengers cannot proceed. Sounds like bad design!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We get this so often "will you swap with my whoever" - and the answer usually offends.
American Airlines is the worst for this. On almost every domestic flight I have ever taken with them, there has been a couple who have managed to bag gate upgrades to the First cabin but not in adjacent seats, who then ask - and expect - others to move to accommodate them. The choice of moving to a less-than-ideal seat or sitting next to a grumpy and resentful fellow passenger for 5 hours is not an appealing one.

On one recent flight the husband was sitting in row 1 next to a lady who wanted to remain in row 1 because she wanted to put her feet on the bulkhead, and the wife was next to me in row 3, and I didn't want to move to row 1 because of the lack of legroom... It was awkward.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ultimately, I simply do not understand why BA charge to select seats when people have paid fares like this. The fares are high enough without seat selection on top of that. Whilst I do sympathise with the OP as it causes nothing but trouble all round when this situation arises. I am not getting into the quai-legal side of all this as I am no expert.

BA customers who fly a lot appreciate having decent seat selections available if they book relatively late. That, quite simply, is why occasional BA customers are charged extra for advance seat selection. It makes a lot of sense commercially.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
American Airlines is the worst for this. On almost every domestic flight I have ever taken with them, there has been a couple who have managed to bag gate upgrades to the First cabin but not in adjacent seats, who then ask - and expect - others to move to accommodate them. The choice of moving to a less-than-ideal seat or sitting next to a grumpy and resentful fellow passenger for 5 hours is not an appealing one.

On one recent flight the husband was sitting in row 1 next to a lady who wanted to remain in row 1 because she wanted to put her feet on the bulkhead, and the wife was next to me in row 3, and I didn't want to move to row 1 because of the lack of legroom... It was awkward.
Yes I had this last week on a Transcon in F. I don't know if the particular passengers involved had got a gate upgrade, but I was in 1F and was asked to move by the customer to 4F so he could sit in the same row as his wife. I was a bit taken aback but did agree to move and in fact was pleased that I did because I made them both very grateful and got away from the galley noise. I also didn't want to be across the aisle from a resentful wife as you said! The seats were identical in this case though..
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60

How right you are - and you now have given me the reason why this has been such a regular occurrence. That and changing seat maps on the 767 to HNL has been the other.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Starship73

BA customers who fly a lot appreciate having decent seat selections available if they book relatively late. That, quite simply, is why occasional BA customers are charged extra for advance seat selection. It makes a lot of sense commercially.
So what is to stop them blocking seats out as American do already for their Elites? You cannot book a Row 1 seat in CE until a certain time is reached unless you are Gold. I see no valid reason why they cannot do this in CW. The means that the occasional customer can choose to be together, assuming that there are two seats together, and the more desirably perceived seats (Window and Aisle?) are held for the Elites.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
So what is to stop them blocking seats out as American do already for their Elites? You cannot book a Row 1 seat in CE until a certain time is reached unless you are Gold. I see no valid reason why they cannot do this in CW.
It's IMO much more customer friendly to have seat reservation fees rather than block the best seats in CW to Golds. The current system has two advantages:
  • Seats are kept free for late reservations.
  • It takes a single return in CW and two Y returns to get to Bronze, which will allow you to select seats for free at T-7
  • Non-status passenger that really want specific seats can pay for them. That wouldn't be the case when the seats are blocked for elites
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So what is to stop them blocking seats out as American do already for their Elites? You cannot book a Row 1 seat in CE until a certain time is reached unless you are Gold. I see no valid reason why they cannot do this in CW.
On at least some routes, the number of seats that you'd need to block to allow higher-tier members and full-fare passengers to continue to select the better seats would leave very little left in the cabin for those who currently have to pay. I imagine that with normal overbooking levels, BA would rapidly get to the point at which there would literally be nothing left to pick by those who currently have to pay, or else higher-tier members and full-fare passengers would be made to do without. And the problem becomes most critical at the point in the booking cycle at which the highest-yield travel is typically being booked - the couple of weeks before the date of the flight.

It was possible to see this more clearly in the immediately-preceding iteration of BA's seating policy in CW, when you could either pre-allocate for free (the same categories as can now) or you could not pre-allocate even if you were prepared to pay. Sometimes, the vast majority of CW seats were marked occupied by T-3d. Of course, that then leads to the period when there can be a lot of cancellations, freeing up seats for others. But with this, you can begin to understand that seat blocking isn't much of an answer to the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.