Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EDI to MEL options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:20 pm

QR for me. 1 stop flight, best premium experience and collect your Avios.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
..I've a chance to fly EDI to MEL in Business. In my job it's rare to stray outside of EU so this has novelty value. A quick look at BA for 4th April to 19th April is over £9k, but QR is about £6k. Can anyone share the relative merits of each? I'm gold (2100 TP) so whilst the TP are not a huge influence (I've no chance of getting GGL at 5k) the Avios are fairly important as I'm saving for a decent trip (I currently have 230k Avios).

I've flown BA to Seattle and I've flown EK to BLR via DXB before, but I've no experience of QR. QR do a direct to DOH but I don't mind going via LHR (my home from home at the moment).

Oh, and I've never been on an A380, so add that into the mix :-) I don't know what kit BA or QR would use for that routing (not looked in detail at flights yet).
Cathay Pacific is another option if looking for Oneworld airlines.
Or even SriLankan UL from London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SriLan...s_destinations
Or Malaysian MH from London via KUL

But for price some of secondary Asian airlines flying out of London are an option.

But avoiding London and the painful SYD international to domestic terminal transfer are worth spending some extra (clients) money.

I would also take into account the departure time, arrival time and total elapsed travel time.
Would be QR for me.

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/airline-information (does not show which are codes-shares and which are airline operated)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:31 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Have you considered BA, but perhaps starting in Oslo or AMS for a much cheaper fare? Route vie Sydney for more points towards, perhaps, 2xGUF1, if you think you can hit 3.5k tier points. You'd earn over 700 for this trip...
Indeed - I am doing OSL to SYD next month returning in May with a stopover in SIN. Even booked it via Propeller (yes I will be completing all legs) using a GUF so F for £2600 ish and 960TPs and almost 80k avios...^
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Indeed - I am doing OSL to SYD next month returning in May with a stopover in SIN. Even booked it via Propeller (yes I will be completing all legs) using a GUF so F for £2600 ish and 960TPs and almost 80k avios...^
Funnily enough, I'm in Melbourne right now on business, having done exactly the same ^
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
This is my first ever post, so please be gentle. Although if you aren’t then I’m sure I will cope..

Tough choice, but I’m EDI based and flew EDI-DOH-KUL in November, so can maybe help.

When I’m not chasing Tier Points (TP), which I am at the moment, I would want to go the shortest, most comfortable route, which is Qatar Airlines (QR) from Edinburgh. QR Business on the 787 from EDI to DOH is as good, if not better than First on BA. There might not be suites, but the service and aircraft are amazing and transfer through DOH is simple with everything optimised for the business passenger. My wife and I both had single window seats with no neighbours on the 787 in and out of Edinburgh.

I have no idea what the A380 to MEL will be like, but traveling on the older 777 to KUL was not quite comparable with the Dreamliner, but was similar to a Club World flight on BA. For a couple, the side by side full flat beds might be better on QR’s 777, but I prefer the BA top and tailing when I’m on my own - I always take the window.

On the way back we took advantage of the Discover Qatar programme. The state pays for an overnight stay in a five star hotel from their list for free, thus compensating for the often long layovers (economy pax get 4 star). They also offer paid for (by you) extras that are very joined up. We paid for the basic private transfer to the hotel, both ways, plus a desert safari. The transfers were perfect and for them and the the desert safari, there was no danger of not being found or missing the transfer/Safari, despite Souq Waqif’s five hotels in one Souq. If you want/need to stay in a chain hotel with a bar, then this is of no use to you, but for someone wanting to see Qatar then it is great. I spent 6 years living in Saudi and Oman and this one night changed my opinion of Qatar.

Your problem is the availability and length of layover on the way back. ITA matrix is showing a 26 hour layover for the dates you mentioned and £4775 return. Etihad on 2 stops is £3.5k, but particularly on the outbound I could be doing without the wasted time, whereas I felt that exploring Qatar was part of the trip.

It all depends on your priorities, do you want to see Qatar on the way back?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:06 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Funnily enough, I'm in Melbourne right now on business, having done exactly the same ^
I had to make lots of small changes to the booking due to client arrangements, and Propeller were excellent throughout. ^^^
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I had to make lots of small changes to the booking due to client arrangements, and Propeller were excellent throughout. ^^^
That's great to hear. Very flexible and always willing to go the extra mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.