Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking transatlantic with different classes

Old Mar 17, 18, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL

I'm trying to book a multicity flight (ZRH->NYC, NYC->LHR, LCY->ZRH) booking the ZRH->NYC portion in World Traveller Plus (well, it's changing at LHR and don't care if ZRH->LHR is in Economy), and the NYC->LHR portion in business. I cannot persuade the BA web site to do this (indeed for some reason it insists on a WTP booking without mixed classes that the LCY->ZRH segment is routed via Dublin, which is pretty strange). I can't persuade any other travel search engine to do this (tried at least SkyScanner, Opodo, Kayak). Kayak will find me the fares, but only via AA, which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that the AA website says "no multiclass bookings". Even booking the both transatlantic segments in WTP seems fantastically hard (I can't get the BA website to give me a direct LCY->ZRH flight at all).

Is there some magic interface to the BA web site where you can just tell it what flights and classes of travel you want? Sometimes I can get to something like this from Kayak, but it then insists I have another BA booking running in another window (I don't) and refuses to proceed.

Alternatively, is there a "I know what I am doing" booking website via an agent?
Old Mar 17, 18, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Phone BA, give the flight numbers and dates and travel classes. They will do it all for you on their system (Which is much more capable than the website).

Because it's not possible to book online, they will also waive the telephone booking fee.

Alternatively: A travel agent of your choice can book mixed class fares like this in the same way that BA can if you phone them directly.
Old Mar 17, 18, 3:06 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jerub View Post
Because it's not possible to book online, they will also waive the telephone booking fee.
That's a common misunderstanding of the fee waiver rules. The rule actually states that if ba.com is supposed to be able to do what you want but for some reason it's broken, then the phone fee can be waived. If ba.com cannot do what you want and the phone is the only way of doing it the phone fee will not be waived.

You may get lucky but don't count on it.
Cymro and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
Another option is to use the AA or IB websites. Both of them are capable of selling mixed cabin class tickets. And as they are forming a joint venture on the trans atlantic routes, you should be able to select BA operated services. However, both sometimes also fail to pull up exactly the flights you'd like to book ...
memesweeper likes this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
ITA Matrix, BookWithMatrix and Priceline or aa.com would do this online, but travel agent bookings and/or codeshares all have their own disadvantages so I'd phone and book.

I assume that a standard booking, rather than the multi-city tool, is not giving you the option of connecting across London? Presumably, you want to fly into Heathrow, do a day's work in the city and then get a late flight out.
Old Mar 19, 18, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver
Originally Posted by stuart_f View Post
That's a common misunderstanding of the fee waiver rules. The rule actually states that if ba.com is supposed to be able to do what you want but for some reason it's broken, then the phone fee can be waived. If ba.com cannot do what you want and the phone is the only way of doing it the phone fee will not be waived.

That is different from what I was told when I called to book a flight for my daughter. Since she was under 16 and not going to be on a booking with somebody over 18 but I was on the same flight on a different booking I needed to link her to my ticket. The agent said that since this could not be done on BA.com then the phone fee was not due.
Old Mar 19, 18, 2:46 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stuart_f View Post
Old Mar 19, 18, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
BA has always waived the phone fee for me on mixed class bookings (though the number of times I have done this is small--2 or 3 in the last few years). Note AA will NOT waive the phone fee for any reason; not sure about IB.
Old Mar 19, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Solid Gold Dancer
I'm BA Gold, and the last couple of times I tried the "can't book online" approach, it seems like they told me I was out of luck due to "enhancements"

If the flights are code-share, look on the AA site. It allows multi-class, multi-city bookings.
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Kayak lets you select the class of service for each sector. Not sure if they will return exactly the same fares, although they should.
Old Nov 10, 18, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
Kayak lets you select the class of service for each sector. Not sure if they will return exactly the same fares, although they should.
I've been trying Kayak for a mixed cabin connecting itinerary (DUB-LHR-LAX in WT/WTP and LAX-LHR-DUB in CW/CE) and it ends up just sending you to the BA site where it only shows the higher class for the full itinerary (e.g. in this case it shows everything in CE/CW).
Old Nov 10, 18, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
ba.com seems to be well behind on this. I also find the fact that it will only price a multi city itinerary after selecting from the flight options particularly annoying when I am usually just looking for the cheapest option. That said, I don't recall ever being charged the phone booking fee for a mixed class itinerary.

I tend to use aa.com for the few BA flights I take as it is much more flexible.
Old Nov 10, 18, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
ba.com seems to be well behind on this. I also find the fact that it will only price a multi city itinerary after selecting from the flight options particularly annoying when I am usually just looking for the cheapest option. That said, I don't recall ever being charged the phone booking fee for a mixed class iti
I tend to use aa.com for the few BA flights I take as it is much more flexible.
I would use aa.com, but I need to book on 125 ticket stock so I can upgrade the WTP leg with Avios. Otherwise AA does have a much better site (vs BA).
Blueboys999 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 18, 1:00 am

If you need to upgrade, way easier IMO to just book with BA over the phone and - ideally - confirm the upgrade all in one go... I'd ask them to waive the fee given both the multi-class, multi-city booking, and the fact the Avios upgrade can't be processed online. There's a decent chance they waive it, but even if charged it's a small price to pay for getting it all done right with less hassle, and having the upgrade certainty at time of booking (even if other sites will give you a 24h cancellation provision).
Old Nov 11, 18, 3:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond and lots more....
Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
Note AA will NOT waive the phone fee for any reason; not sure about IB.
No, but I have had it refunded by AA when I had no choice but to call them for a payment.