Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*This benefit is not available on British Airways' 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*This benefit is not available on British Airways' 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia

If I purchase basic fare tickets on a code share ie Finnair but flying on BA metal with Silver (BA) and Saphire (One World) status...how does the caveat in the title apply? If I purchase a BA ticket it is clear I do not have any of the benefits.

benefits in issue
baggage
seat selection
boarding

appears lounge access remains intact

Last edited by testycal; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:22 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by testycal
If I purchase basic fare tickets on a code share ie Finnair but flying on BA metal with Silver (BA) and Saphire (One World) status...how does the caveat in the title apply? If I purchase a BA ticket it is clear I do not have any of the benefits.
I think you need to elaborate a bit regarding which benefits this statement is referring to? - Otherwise it will be difficult to help.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:31 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
That statement very much seems to suggest the conditions are exactly the same as the underlying ones for the BA ticket - i.e. you don't get a checked luggage allowance (although in practice BA will let you check a piece that meets the carry-on limits at bases plus the more switched on outstations), seat selection is only by status and lounge access is available.

However, as has been said, even just a little more detail would help enormously.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

benefits in issue
baggage
seat selection
boarding

appears lounge access remains intact
BA Silver / OWS status will override the restrictions on advance seat selection and boarding priority associated with Basic fares. With your status in the booking, you should still be able to select seats free as with other ticket types (some seats are restricted to gold/OWE). Boarding should be Group 2 for OWS on Basic fare (I’ve never travelled long haul on a Basic fare, but boarding priority from status has always held up on short haul).

Baggage is fhe only status benefit that is withdrawn. There is no checked bag included in the fare, and the additional checked baggage allowance from status does not apply on basic fares.

As you mention, lounge access is unaffected, and neither should it make a difference on the above items if the flight is booked on a BA flight number or a code share.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you for amending your initial post to add in some specifics.

This is the thread you need to look at (and to summarise, BA takes the hardest line here, even on codeshares that land in their court) for baggage but these fares allow seat selection for most status passengers in most scenarios.
AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

and this is the chart you need (hat tip @ianwall ). Just follow the zeros. The chart is poorly labelled, but in essence go down the first column for your marketing flight code airline. Then go rightwards to find the operator / metal for your status.

FlyerTalker39574 likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 9, 2018 at 2:22 am Reason: insufficient coffee
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thank you for amending your initial post to add in some specifics.

This is the thread you need to look at (and to summarise, BA takes the hardest line here, even on codeshares that land in their court) for baggage but these fares allow seat selection for most status passengers in most scenarios.
AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

and this is the chart you need (hat tip @ianwall ). Just follow the zeros. The chart is poorly labelled, but in essence go down the first column on your marketing flight code airline. Then go left to find the operator / metal for your status.

The table could also be summarised as "avoid BA (either operating or marketing" at all cost! Unfortunately, of course, if BAEC, choosing BA has some advantages that the others don't but for checked luggage purposes, it is the worst possible option.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The table could also be summarised as "avoid BA (either operating or marketing" at all cost! Unfortunately, of course, if BAEC, choosing BA has some advantages that the others don't but for checked luggage purposes, it is the worst possible option.
well, only if you have to check luggage!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
A caveat to that would be where the Basic fare on BA is not available on the other carrier. For example, I have purchased HBO fares on BA operated by IB, where the fare was not available on IB, but I could still get the bag allowance as a OW Sapphire.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by UKdiver
A caveat to that would be where the Basic fare on BA is not available on the other carrier. For example, I have purchased HBO fares on BA operated by IB, where the fare was not available on IB, but I could still get the bag allowance as a OW Sapphire.
Well the table above suggests that you should not have though. May be the table is not up to date?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

What is the case if I travel with family..I buy an economy ticket for myself and super economy no baggage for the rest of the family. Silver status allows my family flying with me to have the advantage of my 2 bag limit. This does not seem to be covered.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What is the case if I travel with family..I buy an economy ticket for myself and super economy no baggage for the rest of the family. Silver status allows my family flying with me to have the advantage of my 2 bag limit. This does not seem to be covered.
I don't know the official version here,but I'm near certain that regardless of the machinations, on BA operated service anyone on a Basic ticket = zero checked bags. Regardless of status, or booking composition or codeshare. And I don't think you can mix a Basic and non Basic fare on the same booking anyway, certainly not via conventional channels. The exception is on those flights were BA sends out an email asking people to check in bags, but that would be on shorthaul rather than longhaul. In a way I don't see the issue: you're only buy these tickets if you don't have checked bags, if you do have checked bags then BA will sell you a ticket for that. And if you don't like that, there are other airlines with different approaches. BA's policies are rather rigid in this area compared to (e.g.) AA, but they are logically coherent to my mind.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

What I am seeing anecdotally is the non baggage fare being offered is the same as the previous BA economy fare ... I am paying more this year for the same ticket I purchased last year and received a baggage allowance on.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:26 am

What I am seeing anecdotally is the non baggage fare being offered is the same as the previous BA economy fare ... I am paying more this year for the same ticket I purchased last year and received a baggage allowance on.
On a specific route, I could see this being an issue. More generally, I doubt it. The HBO fares are intended as a fightback against Norwegian, Wow and to some extent Icelandair who have been offering very competitive lead-in fares, which end up well placed on internet search machines, but then end up somewhat higher when the add-ons are added back on. Overall to get to California on an A380 for £215 return (BCN-LHR-SFO) is to my mind extraordinary and probably unsustainable value for money, there's no doubt that on these routes the fares have never been lower. Fares have been dragged down to a very low level.

Since AA does have a different take on the baggage fees and their fares are just as cheap as BA then you have an alternative there. Clearly there are games you can play, such as booking yourself a Standard ticket, getting the full status baggage and sending the rest of your party in Basic is one such tactic albeit on 2 PNRs (so losing free seat selection)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.