Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The Top 10 BAEC members have dinner together. True or False?

The Top 10 BAEC members have dinner together. True or False?

Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The kicker which made me think it wasn't true, was that the dinner is held at the Houses of Parliament.

Up to that point, it sounded potentially believable.
It's partially true. BA held lunches at the House of Lords a while ago, though not necessarily for the top 10 tier points earners.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Don't know whether I'm in the top 10 or not, but some MIA based Gold card holders (GGL) get invited to events in Miami (i.e. dinners) each year, as well as Art Basel events. I have declined previous invitations as I have been travelling.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I received an anonymous packet of time-expired CW sandwiches in the post once.
Soupdragon62 likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Way way back in the days of KLMuk, KLM used to invite a selection of flyers to dinners annually.

I believe I went to about 3 dinners funded entirely by KLM, and subsequently met a few of the flyers for Xmas dinners on our own dime!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Sorry to burst any bubbles but the people putting away 5 figure TPs per year are probably of little commercial importance to the airline. More likely upper middle
management, consultancy or free-lancers. The decision guys have people come to them or optimise their time by using PJs.
Im sure BA isnt averse to giving them the odd pat on the back though.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't have any connection with the underlying story here and I think it's unlikely since I routinely turn down social invitations due to travel conflicts - so the other putative 9 should also be in that situation. I have been dined at BA's expense at places like l'Escargot and Waterside Inn with about a dozen other high rollers, more in the past it has to be said: a Newcastle postcode makes one fairly invisible (I am certainly not complaining). So I think that's what happened here, they may be very well travelled GGLers or High Net Worth rather than all being at the top of the non existent league table, having a good meal hosted by some BA bigwig. The first year I hit 15k or 20k TPs I remember talking to my then Special Service contact and asking naively if it was a record - he said something like "yes it's quite high, but there are a few who really pile on an awful lot of TPs", implying I wasn't in this select group. Or keeping me in my place since I don't think it's something that the newly renamed Concorde Team look at, or necessarily have access. But I do remember a MF cabin crew, processing a Buy on Board transaction, dropping my phone in shock when she entered my tier point total as my membership number....

The House of Parliament aspect is correct - that I know to be a venue for BA events, they call in on a favour of a well known parliamentarian who arranges either the Terrace or a dining room. I don't think it's a secret that I regularly visit Parliament, so I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I got that invitation - luckily that was a travel conflict one.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cris L
Way way back in the days of KLMuk, KLM used to invite a selection of flyers to dinners annually.

I believe I went to about 3 dinners funded entirely by KLM, and subsequently met a few of the flyers for Xmas dinners on our own dime!
When I was at Analysys Mason one of our Senior Consultants was invited to one of their shindigs as something like the 15th most regular flyer on the airline that year.

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Sorry to burst any bubbles but the people putting away 5 figure TPs per year are probably of little commercial importance to the airline. More likely upper middle
management, consultancy or free-lancers.
And that is exactly the type of the Senior Consultant I mentioned above. He would have had perhaps eight years experience and would make Partner two or three years later. Certainly not a source for millions of Pounds worth of travel.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
"yes it's quite high, but there are a few who really pile on an awful lot of TPs"
How many more would you get if you routinel booked F and Band 1 CE? Suspect that could easily add another 30% without a single minute more in the air...

I just amazed the social media team by answering "No" if I had my passport with me and then reciting the number anyway as a security question and I'm not even GGL.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt there are any here. They won't have time to be on Flyertalk 24/7.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
I just amazed the social media team by answering "No" if I had my passport with me and then reciting the number anyway as a security question and I'm not even GGL.
Had a work TA booking which recently needed some attention after a cancellation due to #beastfromtheeast . I felt the GGL agent was suitable impressed with my ability to recite my passport number and expiry date off the top of my head
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

Had a work TA booking which recently needed some attention after a cancellation due to #beastfromtheeast . I felt the GGL agent was suitable impressed with my ability to recite my passport number and expiry date off the top of my head
Yes but you only have 1 passport
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
so I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I got that invitation - luckily that was a travel conflict one.

Never forget, despite the vitriolic press that surrounds us, that we have - in comparison to most of the rest of the world - a very honest government. Earlier this week, I was honoured to have my second invitation ever to The Palace of Westminster and it was an utter pleasure. The architecture, the grandeur, the sheer presence. I suggest the day someone suggests they are underwhelmed by such an event is the time they need to really consider if they themselves could be making the world a better place.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The architecture, the grandeur, the sheer presence.
Very much so. But at the time I was working there fulltime, so it was effectively an invitation to a dinner in the office canteen!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
the vitriolic press that surrounds us
Cause...

we have - in comparison to most of the rest of the world - a very honest government
...and effect!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by KARFA

Oh you guys are suckers for a bit of false charm aren't you! Something any shower avoiding backpacker can do at the drop of the hat. Youth hostel workers are harder to impress though than those trained to be fawning on GGL I never really considered it an achievement though considering I once had something like family and 10 friends phone numbers in my head back in the landline days...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.