Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Possible?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Standby Possible?

I am flying on a return ticket from LAX-LHR-CPH. My 12-year-old daughter is flying with me on a separate ticket. I accidently booked us on different flights from LHR to CPH. My flight leaves about a 1hour and 20 minutes earlier. Obviously, I am not going to leave her in foreign country by herself.

I would actually like to go the CPH, but the cost to change and reissue the ticket is really high and not worth it to me. I know that BA doesn’t allow you to standby, and will probably want to charge me to make a change.

Should I ask nicely at check in if they could move one of us to the other flight, or just leave it alone and make other plans? I don’t know if I should draw attention to the fact that we might not take our connection flights. I was also wondering if the gate agent or lounge agent might be more accommodating?

I upgraded our flights from LAX-LHR to CW, but we are in WT from LHR to CPH. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I have recently switched from AA to BA, and I am currently silver with 1300TP in the first 5 months. We will be traveling with HBO.

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's a tricky one this, but can you clarify a few things
1) Are you travelling after 1 May 2018? The minimum age for solo travel will rise on that date for new bookings, from 12 to 14 years old.
2) Is this on one reservation from LAX to CPH for you? And another reservation LAX to CPH for your daughter?
3) How long is your connection as booked?
4) Have there been any changes to flight times since you initially booked, so comparing the first email you got from BA to the current timetable.

Having said that, so long as your daughter is reasonably confident then she is safer airside in LHR T5 than almost anywhere in the USA. Some 12 year olds are weekly commuters.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbgmiles
I am flying on a return ticket from LAX-LHR-CPH

<snip>

I don’t know if I should draw attention to the fact that we might not take our connection flights.

Thanks
If you do not take your LHR-CPH flights then your return trip CPH-LHR-LAX will be automatically cancelled.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
These are our return flights , so we don’t need to worry about anything getting cancelled. It is a really complicated situation, so I think that I will just leave it alone and buy new one way tickets. Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
These are our return flights , so we don’t need to worry about anything getting cancelled. It is a really complicated situation, so I think that I will just leave it alone and buy new one way tickets. Thanks
You only need to buy one of you a new LHR-CPH ticket. The other can travel on their original ticket. Just make sure the luggage is travelling with the through ticket or you will cause issues if you don't board and you luggage has made the connection and needs off loading.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:54 am

I’m pretty sure if you don’t travel on the outbound sector then all other sectors are cancelled.
I really think you should call BA.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If you're on your way back and LHR-CPH is the last sector in your booking, just buy a new LHR-CPH ticket if you want to be sure of being on the same flight with your daughter. There is no risk then.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:42 am

Ahh it is your last sector. Got it.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Just out of interest, why wouldn’t same day change on the ET leg be an option for one of them?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Will BA sell OP a second ticket on the same flight as he is already ticketed? More to the point, isn't BA going to cancel one of the two LHR-CPH tickets at some point? If it is the newer ticket, OP is in the same pickle.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Buy a RFS?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Just out of interest, why wouldn’t same day change on the ET leg be an option for one of them?
The ticket being a combined long and shorthaul ticket won't be offering SDC, that's only on point to point tickets (with a few obscure exceptions).
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Often1
Will BA sell OP a second ticket on the same flight as he is already ticketed?
I think the OP wants to buy a separate ticket for the later LHR-CPH flight, the one on which his daughter is booked so that they can fly on the same flight. Whatever the position with two tickets on the same flight, having tickets for different flights on the same day will not be a problem (as it's BA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.