Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling BAEC to Change Tier Date

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Canceling BAEC to Change Tier Date

So a few days back I managed to grab one of the awesome deals from MAN > AKL with Qatar in Business Class, it'll be my first business class flight with my gf and what better way to do it than the longest flight in the world!

Upon reading the comments of where I saw the deal, there was a lot of talk of this particular flight earning 560 TP which is just shy of silver status on BA. I would consider myself more of a "fly with whoever has the best deal" kind of person than someone who has loyalty to a particular airline but thought this might be an opportunity too good to pass up. The only problem is, my TP end date is December 8th and I fly from Oct 27th > Nov 21st. It's unlikely I'll be taking any more BA flights BEFORE this flight which means I will more than likely fall short of the 4 BA flights needed for Silver status.

I currently have 18k miles sitting in my BAEC along with 790 lifetime tier points. As I very much doubt I will be earning enough for lifetime Gold I was wondering whether it was a good idea to transfer the avios into my avios account, cancel my BAEC then set up a new one just before we fly which should hopefully give me another year to get the 4 flights needed to obtain Silver status.

Is this a good/bad idea? Is there a better way of going about this?

Thanks.

Last edited by Rano91; Mar 16, 2018 at 7:01 am Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
That's probably the only way to do it. Move the Avios to avios.com, close your BA account and then reopen it close to departure.

If you do that then you're likely to get almost two years of silver if you take some BA flights shortly after. When you get promoted in status you get your new status for the remainder of your membership year and the whole of the next one.

There's plenty of cheap BA flights MAN-LHR (if you're MAN based) to get your 4 BA flights and remaining 40 tier points. If you're based in London it's even easier.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Perfect thank you. I'm actually based near Gatwick and was planning on getting the train to MAN but I might just get a return flight from LHR-MAN instead to get some flights in. I'm sure I'll be able to pick up another flight within few months to give me almost 2 years of silver status.

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rano91
So a few days back I managed to grab one of the awesome deals from MAN > AKL with Qatar in Business Class, it'll be my first business class flight with my gf and what better way to do it than the longest flight in the world!

Upon reading the comments of where I saw the deal, there was a lot of talk of this particular flight earning 560 TP which is just shy of silver status on BA. I would consider myself more of a "fly with whoever has the best deal" kind of person than someone who has loyalty to a particular airline but thought this might be an opportunity too good to pass up. The only problem is, my TP end date is December 8th and I fly from Oct 27th > Nov 21st. It's unlikely I'll be taking any more BA flights BEFORE this flight which means I will more than likely fall short of the 4 BA flights needed for Silver status.

I currently have 18k miles sitting in my BAEC along with 790 lifetime tier points. As I very much doubt I will be earning enough for lifetime Gold I was wondering whether it was a good idea to transfer the avios into my avios account, cancel my BAEC then set up a new one just before we fly which should hopefully give me another year to get the 4 flights needed to obtain Silver status.

Is this a good/bad idea? Is there a better way of going about this?

Thanks.
Note that your flights will get you 600 TPs and not just 560....

The long sections from Doha to Auckland will actually earn you 160 TPs a pop and not just 140.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Scallywag72
Note that your flights will get you 600 TPs and not just 560....

The long sections from Doha to Auckland will actually earn you 160 TPs a pop and not just 140.
Good point and even better as it means they can get the cheapest 5TP flights to make up the 4 BA segments rather than having to get the 10TP flights
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:05 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Wish I had read this sooner, already started collecting the extra 40TPs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.