FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   F Galleries Lounge T5 guest behaviour (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1898921-f-galleries-lounge-t5-guest-behaviour.html)

ratechaser Mar 18, 2018 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Mountlodge (Post 29536819)
Was the goat guested in or did it have status?

it could well have been on the Gold Goat List...

itsmeitisss Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29528177)
To be fair, unlike the other security channels at T5, the TFW doesn't have the signs saying please place your tray in the pile at the end. However, I would agree that from a selfish point of view I usually move empty ones that are there simply because the sooner they are out of the way the sooner my stuff will come down.

Common sense would of course prompt people to do that rather than standing there waiting for trays to come when there is no space for them to go to, however eligibility to TFW is not based on common sense sadly ;)

I end up feeling like tray monitor when I go through as I end up collecting up all the trays I see. I use a few trays myself with all my camera gear, but try and be as quick as possible stacking trays as I go both mine and those with chronic lazyitis.

Genius1 Mar 18, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk (Post 29531990)
The JAL C lounge at HND had a bank of small rooms for phone calls, this would be an excellent feature to add at any lounges.

Ironically the old Executive Club lounge concept saw phone booths featured in many lounges around the BA network in the 1990s (albeit with actual landlines in them). These were removed as the Terraces concept was rolled out in the early 2000s where an open plan 'Combiz' product featured.

The EDI lounge has a couple of small private rooms for phone calls, although I haven't seen this at any other lounge with the latest Galleries Evolution concept.

StingWest Mar 18, 2018 11:23 am

I was in the T5 F lounge two weeks ago, and a woman was watching a movie, with audio through the speaker of her tablet. It was loud and annoying - I was wondering whether to mention it to the staff or ask the woman myself if she could (please) use earbuds. As I got up to speak to staff, she packed up and headed out, but I wonder what would have happened.

CloudCoder Mar 18, 2018 11:32 am

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops (Post 29538205)
I got the strangest look from someone in GF T5 one day. I "had" to call the office before my connecting because of something only I would know how to sort. There was this chap next to me and I asked "Do you mind of I use my phone, I don't want to disturb you here". He looked at me as if I was daft asking and said. "You can use your phone whenever you like???????"

I felt like saying, I was always told that in a communal places it is good manners to ask (like trains etc)

This just might be a British thing. Fellow travelers at LHR lounges often ask if it's okay if they make a phone call. I can't remember ever witnessing the same kind of politeness in the USA.

antichef Mar 18, 2018 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Corpt (Post 29532612)

Not guilty!! 😄

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29533714)

interesting! Not me either.

Didn't Mandy Rice-Davies say something like: "They would say that, wouldn't they?" :D:D

See also Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRDA_(slang)

Sully the Scarer Mar 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Not your domain now...

Originally Posted by stuart_f (Post 29528261)
Last time I was in the lounge one of the loud talking types was discussing with, I presume his marketing department, which website addresses would be needed to launch their new product. After what seemed like hours of listening to this guy bellowing into his headset my colleague had finally had enough and opened his laptop and registered the 3 addresses in question. Sadly we left before hearing the fallout.

I'm also guilty of this... loudmouth just would not stop shouting down the phone how clever his new web address was, so I registered before he did. Again, no idea when he found out. Maybe he even realised it was someone near him in the lounge - he's welcome to buy it off me for the right price :-)

MaxFlyer Mar 19, 2018 10:27 am

What annoys me, in addition to the loud speaking passengers in the lounge, is when people sit at the dining tables with their laptops, iPads, paperwork etc instead of eating. At busy times it’s can be really hard to find somewhere to sit to eat. If people want to work at a table then they should go to the businesss centre in my opinion.

Ancient Observer Mar 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Maybe the check-in desk at every lounge ought to dispense stickers/labels that can be given to annoying pax. "You are doing something rude and annoying." OR "You are doing something in public that really ought to be done in private"
Let them decide what it is.
I need 100s of these for the plonkers that walk around having important conversations.

onobond Mar 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Telecasterman (Post 29531429)
Do BA offer quiet zones in their lounges? If not would you want to see it introduced?

Yes, please. The JL Lounge policy is the way to go.

IAN-UK Mar 20, 2018 12:56 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch (Post 29532163)
I do detest loud talkers, and am a great believer in brevity on calls in public. But when I am travelling for work its unavoidable to have to make calls in lounges sometimes, and now and again they may go on a little bit. And I personally quite like walking around because (1) it means that I'm not sitting and disturbing one or two particular people nearby with 50% of a conversation and (2) if I do have to mention anything confidential it can be talked about in an area of the lounge without flapping ears nearby. Plus I just like walking around on calls!

I get liking doing it as a reason for doing something. But the other two sound like convenient rationalisations.

(1) spreading the pain over a larger group of people
(2) for those confidential moment you are able to dodge into an area where you can't be heard: why don't you stay in said area for the duration of your call?

Mackle Mar 20, 2018 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Telecasterman (Post 29531429)
Do BA offer quiet zones in their lounges? If not would you want to see it introduced?

Absolutely! I don't know if anyone remembers the old UK Audi commercial where you have a yuppie going on about the things important to him in life whilst he does his test drive, then hands back the keys to the Audi dealer and says "Sorry mate, ain't my style - you know what I mean?"; Every time I fly from LHR T5 and use the Galleries, I see (or at least hear) clones of that guy! Most bizarre was a "BUY BUY BUY!!" call, at 6am on a Sunday, from a guy who kept saying he was in the lounge and making fleeting eye contact with everyone.

Lufthansa business lounge in Frankfurt T1 has a few booths that are superb for making calls - they have dark tinted glass so you can see someone is in there but not who, thick glass so no-one can hear the conversation / be disturbed by it, a table to sit at, and a power point to keep your phone or mobile device charged.

TheJayHatch Mar 20, 2018 7:28 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 29545276)
I get liking doing it as a reason for doing something. But the other two sound like convenient rationalisations.

(1) spreading the pain over a larger group of people
(2) for those confidential moment you are able to dodge into an area where you can't be heard: why don't you stay in said area for the duration of your call?

Just goes to show one can never please all the people all the time.
(1) There is no pain as I know when to make a call and can do so with a modicum of discretion and (2) I mightn't stay in said area because I mightn't want to - the lounge is not (nor should be regarded as) a church mid-benediction!

Like everything in life, this particular issue is about mutual respect and understanding. The lounge is a place for many things, but I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming users of GF are business people who are inevitably going to have to make the odd call.

Both sides of the debate need to respect the needs of the other - on the assumption people are reasonable. There are always departures in life from the SD: for every loud bore blowing on about his lounge experience to his bored PA, there's a pompous fool tutting and muttering for every perceived breach of non-existent rules. Live and let live, would be my overwhelming solution!

Misco60 Mar 20, 2018 7:33 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch (Post 29546056)
Live and let live, would be my overwhelming solution!

"Live and let live", while generally an admirable philosophy, is too often used to mean "I'll do exactly what I want, no matter how it inconveniences others, and you're welcome to do the same".

TheJayHatch Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 29546077)
"Live and let live", while generally an admirable philosophy, is too often used to mean "I'll do exactly what I want, no matter how it inconveniences others, and you're welcome to do the same".

Fair point, although I refer the honorable gentleman/lady to my earlier sentence.