Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Allocation algorithm hates me?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
BA Seat Allocation algorithm hates me?

I just booked a short-haul flight for a couple of weeks out. I'm Gold, Mrs NeverFirst is silver.
"You have been assigned seats", which is fine, except the algorithm put me & MrsNeverFirst in row 25(!) when the seats are barely 20% assigned - nothing has been assigned from row 12 backwards! The same thing happened on the inbound.

Luckily I noticed and moved to row 7, so crisis(*) averted. (Now I'm thinking maybe they know it's going to be a bus gate and loaded through the rear doors... )

(*) FT Hyperbole, of course.

Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is row 7 at risk of Curtain Roulette? In which case the "crisis" may continue. The exit rows would be the usual choice in this situation since it's far enough back to avoid Curtain Roulette (hopefully) and allows fairly speedy egress.

But Amadeus Seating may well have moved you anyway within a day or two if it is left untouched. Once you've selected a seat then it won't recalculate.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
"You have been assigned seats", which is fine, except the algorithm put me & MrsNeverFirst in row 25(!) ...
There are two of you, and it is the only row of two on the aircraft - so it's not 100% illogical!

However, I still cling to my (fanciful) theory that those who care will look, notice and change; those who don't care will sit wherever they're put and not care, leaving the better seats for those of us who do care.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Luckily I noticed and moved to row 7, so crisis(*) averted. (Now I'm thinking maybe they know it's going to be a bus gate and loaded through the rear doors... )
as CWS says a 'gamble' hit the exit row with your Gold pre seat selection
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
BA spent three years when I was Gold always placing me in a Middle seat whenever I travelled in Y. With the new system things seem much better.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
as CWS says a 'gamble' hit the exit row with your Gold pre seat selection
If I was traveling alone, I would. My companion is anti-exit-row for some reason. (Yeah, I've never understood that, either). She also seems to get upset if I choose a different row for her(?)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:45 am

Some people don't like exit rows because they want to keep their bags by their feet. A lot of ladies don't like letting their handbags out of their sight.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Some people don't like exit rows because they want to keep their bags by their feet. A lot of ladies don't like letting their handbags out of their sight.
I'm not a lady, but this is exactly why I don't like exit rows. I'm only 5ft8, so the extra leg room only outweighs the inconvenience on very long flights.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Oh goodness yes. The number of times I've heard the cabin crew suggest plaintively *but it's only for a few minutes during take off and landing" for them to get sheer daggers by way of a reaction. Or worse. And on occasion what I assume to be paragons of virtue resort to hiding their handbags under newspapers and what-not, clearly knowing what the inspection is for....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.