Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for mistake with special meal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70
No, but how is this relevant?

Think about it this way: EU rules define a €600 compensation if a flight is over 4 hrs late. If airlines would reduce the rate by €600 for a flight that often arrives 4 hours late, then offer customers to pay €600 in order to somehow ensure that they arrive on time, how many do you think would pay that €600? And yet, the EU thinks that €600 compensation is fair... why? The passengers got to where they needed to get, got the meals, and even IFE, so why shouldn't an apology suffice?
again your missing the point - you’ve stated you don’t value avios but then you stated onboard you wouldn’t accept less than 20,000

i think everyone has been giving you a consistent message and been trying to illustrate the value of avios
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
But.. you received an alternative meal. I assume you ate it, correct? You still haven't indicated where you were flying. I don't think you're going to get the response you want here. Will be interesting to know though if the Avios posted yet.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think the OP is just being greedy, there I have said it.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by haroon145
again your missing the point - you’ve stated you don’t value avios but then you stated onboard you wouldn’t accept less than 20,000

i think everyone has been giving you a consistent message and been trying to illustrate the value of avios
It's like you're trying to make the point that €50 is a generous compensation for a 4 hour flight delay, whereas the EU ruled that €600 is fair.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:45 pm

It's like you're trying to make the point that €50 is a generous compensation for a 4 hour flight delay, whereas the EU ruled that €600 is fair.
your not answering the questions people have asked you multiple times - clearly your not going to get an answer here that your looking for

you just don’t seem to get the point or are being ignorant

it would actually be helpful if you post in future if you include the necessary info in your post or answer questions rather than be defensive as that’s how your coming across as well as greedy
Steve in Olympia and James91 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The EU hasn't ruled that any compensation is due if you don't get your first choice of food. And it's not as if you had nothing whatsoever to eat anyway, plus the crew would have worked something out if you hadn't been able to eat at least something from the meal that you were given.

You've been given compensation that is way in excess of what BA would normally give you. The value of the Avios you've been given is probably somewhere around $100 (it's almost certainly in the $70-$140 bracket). It is beyond almost all of us to see how you think that you have not yet been properly compensated for what happened. Not getting your first choice of airline food is probably worth no more than a tenth of that.

If you are serially disappointed by the compensation offered by different airlines, then it may be your expectations that need to be reset.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
No, but how is this relevant?

Think about it this way: EU rules define a €600 compensation if a flight is over 4 hrs late. If airlines would reduce the rate by €600 for a flight that often arrives 4 hours late, then offer customers to pay €600 in order to somehow ensure that they arrive on time, how many do you think would pay that €600? And yet, the EU thinks that €600 compensation is fair... why? The passengers got to where they needed to get, got the meals, and even IFE, so why shouldn't an apology suffice? Surely the vast majority of passengers' time isn't worth €150 an hour...
It’s relevant to the extent that you’ve been given compensation with a cash value somewhere in that range. If you don’t value the meal at that price, why should BA (even accepting a generous margin of additional compensation for the inconvenience of not having your special meal delivered).

You expectations are that you’re due 20K Avios. Call that (conservatively) $250USD cash value. Do you really think failure to produce an airline meal is worth that level of compensation?

If so, please do let me know what business it is you run. I’d love to get 10%, 20% of my money back for what I bought from you for a relatively minor service failure.

I’m not sure what relevance EC261 has here...that is a legal framework for flight delays, cancellations, downgrades etc. There is no such legal framework for inflight service mishaps. Are you due something for the inconvenience? Yes, probably. But it seems your expectations are quite out of kilter with the consensus of what that something should be.
haroon145 and James91 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Surely the compensation should be the rather small number of vegetables that would have been in the special meal versus the meal the OP actually _ate_ ???
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by GM1985

It’s relevant to the extent that you’ve been given compensation with a cash value somewhere in that range. If you don’t value the meal at that price, why should BA (even accepting a generous margin of additional compensation for the inconvenience of not having your special meal delivered).

You expectations are that you’re due 20K Avios. Call that (conservatively) $250USD cash value. Do you really think failure to produce an airline meal is worth that level of compensation?

If so, please do let me know what business it is you run. I’d love to get 10%, 20% of my money back for what I bought from you for a relatively minor service failure.

I’m not sure what relevance EC261 has here...that is a legal framework for flight delays, cancellations, downgrades etc. There is no such legal framework for inflight service mishaps. Are you due something for the inconvenience? Yes, probably. But it seems your expectations are quite out of kilter with the consensus of what that something should be.
It could be, eg a strict kosher diet on F LHR-SIN would be a significant shortfall, whilst a quasi vegetarian who then selects a replacement meal from normal menu onboard are two very different things, but BA compensates them equally.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
It could be, eg a strict kosher diet on F LHR-SIN would be a significant shortfall, whilst a quasi vegetarian who then selects a replacement meal from normal menu onboard are two very different things, but BA compensates them equally.
But surely that's just because your value system places higher worth on following some cult/religion, than choosing not to eat animal flesh. BA would be right to compensate them equally in my view.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I agree there are degrees of failure (and impact to the customer) that should be taken in to consideration when offering compensation.

But BA doesn’t see it that way (per the recent Complaint Response decoder thread: Complaint response de-coder) ... they have to be consistent to ensure fairness to all passengers

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
On the contrary comments like that do belong as a reality check as to what people should expect.

20k is far too high an amount of compensation / customer service gesture.
People need to have realistic expectations.

Example from other airlines, all of them are for normal revenue tickets in J or F, all of them suffered by me, and holding SEN or other Star Gold / OWE:

Missing wheel on checked baggage from SQ, flights in J: zero comp or costs, they deny all liabilities for wheels and handles, apparently, ignoring the fact they pretty much render the suitcase useless...

Broken seat with zero padding and zero recline, ZRH-HKG in J on LX, no replacement seat even in Y: 4,000 miles (!!)

No meal loaded for anyone in J, LHR-MUC on LH in J: Zero - crew did manage to hand out some yoghurt pots...

9-day delay in baggage on SQ in F and a variety of broken items: I think it was 12,000 miles? Might have been a bit more

QF lost baggage: zero, and I was forced to go back to the airport the next day at my cost to re-file the baggage irregularity report because the staff didn't file it properly and lost the file.

Compared to those, 10,000 for a special meal not given BUT a full replacement meal given seems ridiculously generous....

Can we stop the compensation culture, unless you were severely disadvantaged directly as a consequence of what happened?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:11 pm

If the OP had been totally unable to eat any other meal on the flight due to some severe allergy, and had therefore been starving on a long haul then I can see a decent compensation pending. But we don't know how long the flight was and we do know that an alternative meal was offered and eaten. So a replacement was accepted. That to me is the end of the story. Right there.

The OP also talks about having ordered a vegetarian meal for ethical reasons. What about the ethics of trying to screw a company out of something for no reason other than what appears to be a tantrum. If your ethics were that strong, you should have requested some salad from the front one of the other Y meals or perhaps from J, where I am sure they would have had something left over.

This whole thread stinks of the compensation culture.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by dougzz
But surely that's just because your value system places higher worth on following some cult/religion, than choosing not to eat animal flesh. BA would be right to compensate them equally in my view.
I see your point, but what about genuine dietary requirements - eg no nuts or no fish meals or no gluten? Those surely are not 'made up' and would you agree failure to accommodate for those should attract different level then some hippie vegetarians?
haroon145 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
The CC member made a genuine mistake and owned up to it. She was very apologetic, why must compensation be demanded? Seems a bit sad really.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.