Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong and Taiwan listed as "countries" - where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong and Taiwan listed as "countries" - where?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Boten
You will see this on almost every airline's website. If on an airline booking flow, country is a drop down for nationality, billing address and phone number. All of these require the split due to different passports, different postal systems and different phone country codes.

As for the drop down on the flight search page, this is to direct you to the correct point of sale, since Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan all have different currencies and different tax regulations (if a local BA office is registered).

It is practical rather than political.
I agree. The Chinese government, however, does not. And when they’re the ones with their fingers on the ‘OFF’ button for your site in their country, it’s probably wise to accommodate the change. As Marriott recently discovered to its cost.

They don't call it the Great Firewall for nothing
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This may explain why I'm having difficulties with OLCI in Shanghai at the moment. The BA site mostly works. But it's very slow and sometimes goes out to lunch. Or maybe that's just BA IT. But anyway they're probably outsourcing developments to people using standard country lists.It's interesting - slightly off topic - how everything gets funnelled into WeChat here. And you're never more than 10 minutes away from someone giving you a 15 minute summary of how great WeChat is.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by bisonrav
This may explain why I'm having difficulties with OLCI in Shanghai at the moment. The BA site mostly works. But it's very slow and sometimes goes out to lunch. Or maybe that's just BA IT. But anyway they're probably outsourcing developments to people using standard country lists.It's interesting - slightly off topic - how everything gets funnelled into WeChat here. And you're never more than 10 minutes away from someone giving you a 15 minute summary of how great WeChat is.
VPN all the way. Though I heard they are allowing the Google maps app to work again, is that true?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
VPNs are mostly blocked as far as I can tell, including the corporate one I used. It seems a lot tighter than my last visit which would have been maybe 12 months ago, but on the other hand the hotel on that trip had its own VPN which helped a lot. It's also pretty tough to get free wifi without a Chinese phone number now, even at an exhibition with global participation. I haven't tried google maps, but anything with a google element seems difficult to access. And odd things like myflightradar are patchy in the map department.
flyuk likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I have my own VPN set-up, so I don't really have issues with china blocking it as it's non-commercial and uses rotating private IP addresses. Last time I was there I had to use Google maps through the VPN though, and it confused my other apps a little, putting me in a kind of location limbo, unable to use banking apps without disconnecting the VPN.

I read a few days ago that they've relaxed Google maps access (not the search though). I hope so, I really hate their version.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
We in HK are perfectly happy to see less competition from PRC Avios members for CX/KA flights.

It's definitely one-way traffic in our view - we definitely want less people sharing our pie. We don't see any pie they have that we might want to ask for a share.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
You dont need a china visa or that cny doesnt work in hong kong nor taipei legally; and that there are no domestic flights to hong kong nor taipei unlike what china says of these 2countries.
so with that, i see the inappropriateness to call these 2 a part of china.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:49 am

What's wrong with "synchronisation with IATA?"

Hong Kong (SAR China) is definitely controversy-less

IATA uses Taiwan. Emmm...might still be open to wumao to argue IATA's biased towards the west.

Taiwan (ROC) or Chinese Taipei are the acceptable names. The latter is not much use to a travel website. Why not the former?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Just stick with as is please.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by benjai
Just stick with as is please.
That means the separatists win. The people and government of the mainland can't have that (well, one of them anyway...)

---

I also note BA has Seoul under South Korea. Similarly geographically and politically incorrect, although anyone thinking Seoul has the same administration and immigration requirements ad Pyongyang will be massively mistaken.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: GGL
It is more a question of presenting the information in a way the most users will find most easily, rather than a matter of technical accuracy. To this end consistency would help. The UK is one of the more frustrating in this regard; the country, the nationality of its citizens, and its currency, which can variously appear under B, G, or U, depending on website.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mixbury
It is more a question of presenting the information in a way the most users will find most easily, rather than a matter of technical accuracy. To this end consistency would help. The UK is one of the more frustrating in this regard; the country, the nationality of its citizens, and its currency, which can variously appear under B, G, or U, depending on website.
The UK is an interesting one. UK companies seem to invariably list the country as United Kingdom. US companies also seem fairly consistent too. But other sites can be a bit of a lottery as to whether it’s United Kingdom, Great Britain or Britain.

I remember one Spanish company (on their translated EN site) didn’t seem to have their drop downs fully translated. When selecting country, I looked under U, G, B ... nothing. Took a while to click that I was supposed to select Reino Unido.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Mixbury
The UK is one of the more frustrating in this regard; the country, the nationality of its citizens, and its currency, which can variously appear under B, G, or U, depending on website.
You can add P and S to the list for currency.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: LH HON
At least you guys can do OLCI towards HKG? AA system thinks its China, thus needs a visa, thus no OLCI - ever.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
At least you guys can do OLCI towards HKG? AA system thinks its China, thus needs a visa, thus no OLCI - ever.
wow. Do they take cny in hk too, then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.