Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current delays at LHR - 1 Runway closed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
Also an aborted take off on the runway (not sure which aircraft) which then needed a runway inspection. Moving forward ever so lightly on the BA285 to San Francisco
Have fun in SFO, PETER01, I'll be there on Friday for all of about 4 hours
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
Would Number 2 be any better?
A bit easier to deal with on a B747.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Many thanks for passing on that and the subsequent tweet, single runway operation is a real pain since it more than halves the throughput of aircraft, hopefully it won't be for too long, some minor runway repairs can be done quite quickly and HAL keep the resources permanently on standby for this situation. But let me also welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA forum simon79, I do hope that we see more of you, and that you have a good flight to Cyprus.
Just to be a complete pedant, one that I am loathe to be, especially towards cws, but a ‘one in one out’ single runway operation will actually shift over half of the total of two segregated runways.

On conservative terms, a single runway will easily get to 48 movements per hour (24 arrivals, 6nm spacing, with 24 departures, one in each 6nm gap.

A dedicated arrival runway will get around 40 arrivals per hour, and a dedicated departure runway about 45 deps per hour.

This is due to the 6nm spacing for arrivals, and the 2min 15sec (roughly) departure spacing covers most of the respective wake turbulence separation requirements. Provided the landing threshold is not displaced too much, there is no wake turbulence requirement between a departure and an arrival, or vice versa.

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:03 pm
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower

Just to be a complete pedant, one that I am loathe to be, especially towards cws, but a ‘one in one out’ single runway operation will actually shift over half of the total to two segregated runways.

On conservative terms, a single runway will easily get to 48 movements per hour (24 arrivals, 6nm spacing, with 24 departures, one in each 6nm gap.

A dedicated arrival runway will get around 40 arrivals per hour, and a dedicated departure runway about 45 deps per hour.

This is due to the 6nm spacing for arrivals, and the 2min 15sec (roughly) departure spacing covers most of the respective wake turbulence separation requirements. Provided the landing threshold is not displaced too much, there is no wake turbulence requirement between a departure and an arrival, or vice versa.
c-w-s powned, Wow
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Costa Coffee

...but a ‘one in one out’ single runway operation will actually shift over half of the total of two segregated runways...
So why not use this system on both runways all the time?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:20 pm

This short period of single runway ops also resulted in some extremely rare take-offs from runway 09L. That never happens during routine operations. Normally easterly take-offs are only conducted from 09R due to the Cranford Agreement.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Amygdala28
So why not use this system on both runways all the time?
‘Mixed-Mode’ has not been approved by the government. The designated runway in use for arrivals on westerlies (landing from London, towards Windsor) and for departures on easterlies (landing from Windsor, towards London) is strictly laid down and controlled to allow for respite from noise for communities under the approaches and climb outs.

We we can only deviate from this runway alternation programme, which is available on Heathrow.com/noise, for certain criteria.

There are also a host of other more technical and operational reasons why full mixed mode on both runways would not deliver the theoretical benefits, which I attempt to describe tomorrow!
Amygdala28 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:24 pm

‘Mixed-Mode’ has not been approved by the government. The designated runway in use for arrivals on westerlies (landing from London, towards Windsor) and for departures on easterlies (landing from Windsor, towards London) is strictly laid down and controlled to allow for respite from noise for communities under the approaches and climb outs.

We we can only deviate from this runway alternation programme, which is available on Heathrow.com/noise, for certain criteria.

There are also a host of other more technical and operational reasons why full mixed mode on both runways would not deliver the theoretical benefits, which I attempt to describe tomorrow!
Plus departures from 09L are currently banned during routine operations.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Starship73
They were under the Cranford agreement. However that agreement is no longer in force.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Starship73

09L departures are not banned. They are tightly regulated though. Hence;
“The designated runway in use for arrivals on westerlies (landing from London, towards Windsor) and for departures on easterlies (landing from Windsor, towards London) is strictly laid down and controlled to allow for respite from noise for communities under the approaches and climb outs”

Easterly alternation is probably coming at some point, planning permission from Hillingdon Council has been a stumbling block, which has delayed it, and also now the current and future R3 consultations will need to be completed before any consultation on easterly alternation can occur.

Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some more interesting information from the Heathrow operations handbook (an interesting document to read btw, see the link at the bottom of this page https://www.heathrow.com/noise/heath...ford-agreement)

Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:04 pm

POTHOLES!

Just like the rest of the UK.
rapidex likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I was on UA900 on Mar 14, pilot came on to tell us they were told 35 minutes delay by the tower, but that he thought it'd be longer since he was hearing other pilots who had already waited their 35 minutes and still hadn't pushed. Of course they say "we'll come back on the PA with more info when we get it". They never did. We pushed WELL before that 35 minutes was up. Especially if it's good news I'd expect to have heard back from them, but oh well, it was nice to get rolling after being given the bad news originally.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Especially if it's good news I'd expect to have heard back from them, but oh well, it was nice to get rolling after being given the bad news originally.
An unexpectedly earlier start than they had been anticipating might have produced a sudden spike of workload on the flight deck. If that was what happened, normal principles of airmanship would put PAs to passengers pretty much at the bottom of the priority list.
florens and KARFA like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
An unexpectedly earlier start than they had been anticipating might have produced a sudden spike of workload on the flight deck. If that was what happened, normal principles of airmanship would put PAs to passengers pretty much at the bottom of the priority list.
That's what I was thinking, which is exactly why I wasn't complaining about it , a good surprise for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.