Search

TK or BA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Hilton Silver
TK or BA

Both BA and TK are pricing well out of MCT at the moment to BCN. Both TK legs are on recliners while the BA flight is on a flatbed and then a blocked middle seat. Which would you pick?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by RisottoKimodo
Both BA and TK are pricing well out of MCT at the moment to BCN. Both TK legs are on recliners while the BA flight is on a flatbed and then a blocked middle seat. Which would you pick?
TK 100%!

i would only do ba if tk was quite a bit more expensive
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Either the cheapest or the most convenient time wise.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Ultimately it depends on what FFP you wish to credit the points too. The points of note for BA would be:
B789 on MCT - LHR flight which is very nice.
Transfer from T5 to T3 for connecting BCN flight - not a very premium experience
IST transfer is within 1 terminal so probably easier, but no idea on the in-flight service or flight times
BA flight from MCT is 9am departure, so just the breakfast offering (which I am not a huge fan of), but if sleep is important to you, the flatbed is definitely a plus.

Pilot37
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:50 am

Based on the above, it would be BA for me.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
BA
+ Proper Club World for the largest part of the trip
+ TPs/Avios if you collect those
+ good record at bringing the aircraft back into contact with the ground in a safe and controlled manner, well trained Nigels at the front, would trust in most circumstances
- T5 to T3 transfer at LHR, bit of a faff, but many lounges to choose from at T3

TK
+ Probably a shorter trip overall?
+ Some people say better food and service, although this mostly applies to comparing TK to Club Europe not Club World
+/- IST can be chaos, huge crazy TK lounge
- very poor record at bringing the aircraft back into contact with the ground in a safe and controlled manner, all pilots are ex-Turkish Air Force cowboys, may or may not require you to evacuate the aircraft into the dirt when they bin it off the side/end of the runway.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Airprox
TK
- very poor record at bringing the aircraft back into contact with the ground in a safe and controlled manner, all pilots are ex-Turkish Air Force cowboys, may or may not require you to evacuate the aircraft into the dirt when they bin it off the side/end of the runway.
I call nonsense on that statement.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Pilot37
breakfast offering
Are you referring to the heavenly bacon roll?
Last time I had it was on a flight to MAA in 2010
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by NeverFirst

Just as an example, we teach both the TK Kathmandu and Pristina events as human factors case studies containing some classic aviation poor decision making. Thankfully the outcome in both was good for all the passengers, although one did write off a brand new A330. Amsterdam, Sochi, Istanbul crash, the list goes on and on.

Last edited by Airprox; Mar 14, 2018 at 5:18 am
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Silly
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:02 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by NeverFirst

I don't. TK safety record is enough for me to avoid them. I would choose BA based on this solely. Other more personal factors would also let me choose BA (I have trouble with airlines being the pet dog of wannabe dictators).
That @Airprox used two incidents at TK where the root cause was pilot error as teaching incidents does not surprise me.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Silly
Although rather hyperbolic, Airprox's post definitely contains more than a grain of truth!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made the trip with TK a while back, from Manchester. My memory is of very awkward timings at Muscat - perhaps they'll work for you, but do check!

The connection at IST is easier, that is if BCN arrivals are "clean" (I believe they are), which means you are decanted into the airside-proper and go straight to the extraordinary and delightful lounge: if you have to go through security, things can get messy.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:20 am

BA
+ Proper Club World for the largest part of the trip
+ TPs/Avios if you collect those
+ good record at bringing the aircraft back into contact with the ground in a safe and controlled manner, well trained Nigels at the front, would trust in most circumstances
- T5 to T3 transfer at LHR, bit of a faff, but many lounges to choose from at T3

TK
+ Probably a shorter trip overall?
+ Some people say better food and service, although this mostly applies to comparing TK to Club Europe not Club World
+/- IST can be chaos, huge crazy TK lounge
You seem to be forgetting a few Carolines
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Although rather hyperbolic, Airprox's post definitely contains more than a grain of truth!
Rather hyperbolic ? It's factually inaccurate and hyped to hysteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.